velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorNash
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2010

Posted By: quidoseThis is a burrito project bike -https://velospace.org/node/29834

whats with all the fire-hydrants?
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: quidoseThis is a burrito project bike -https://velospace.org/node/29834

I don't want to snark on a vs member, and I don't want to snark about distributing food to people that need it. But those are some pretty fancy bikes for handing out cold burritos. A beat-up Magna mountain bike would cheaper, more practical for carrying a load (you really want to distribute food to hungry people? Ride a bike where you can carry stuff on a rack, not in a man-purse), and cause less grief if wrecked or stolen. I fear that the burrito distribution program might not be taking place if there wasn't a video camera running. It's part of the modern fashion of leaving no event of one's own existence undocumented, as if you were collecting footage for the inevitable VH1 special celebrating your fabulous life.

Funny; I was at the local REI's members' used gear sale yesterday, looking at a returned helmet-cam for about $75. There's lot's of stuff I might want to film with such a thing, but what rational person would ever want to watch it?
    They're giving hungry people food. The fact that they put their bikes in a truck to do it is nonsense, but whatever. They're giving hungry people food.
    • CommentAuthorNash

Posted By: Joshua A.C. NewmanThey're giving hungry people food. The fact that they put their bikes in a truck to do it is nonsense, but whatever. They're giving hungry people food.

+1

cant see how anyone can down other people for helping those less fortunate than themselves. who gives a shit what they give them and how or why they go about it. its better than doing nothing at all.
    • CommentAuthorurchin0903

the only thing i wasnt a huge fan of was the fact that they gave em day old burritos. i mean not really a food that keeps well. and i dont really see the givers being willing to eat that. throw in a video camera too and i start to seriously question the intentions
    They probably used the miracle of refrigeration.
    I'm hungry, where's my day old burrito?
    • CommentAuthorurchin0903

so then they fed them cold day old burritos
    • CommentAuthorpolitburo

Posted By: urchin0903i start to seriously question the intentions
    People doing charity work for the wrong reasons is still better than people not doing charity work at all, and a homeless guy who sticks his nose up at a free burrito because it is a day old is a homeless man that deserves to have a burrito thrown in his face.
    • CommentAuthormekore
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2010

mmm for that black IRO: (me myself dont think any of the following suggestions are reasonable for a commuter bike, unless you are maniac enough)

-go for 3/32 drivetrain
    -change those wheels, deep rims are heavy and slows you a lot in windy weather. go for low flange hubs with traditional boxed rims, except you race a lot in velodrome, you do not need that lateral stiffness provided by high flange hubs. if you have nuff money, use aerospokes by sapim or DT, it is lighter and stronger than plain spokes, and allows you to build wheels with lower spoke count-->lighter dead weight, better aerodynamics
    -use tubeless tyre, tubeless rims are lighter
    -take of that pointless logo on the head tube
    -take of those bottle cage bolts, close the hole with a transparent tape
    -shorten your bar a bit, take of that rubber grips, replace with ex-inner tube, wrap it
    -that kind of saddle is heavy isnt it? it is a bit more than 400grams if im not mistaken. replace with a decent road bike saddle that weighs about 220 grams
    -paints are just for fashion, you dont need that, sandpaper all the paint.
    - i dont know if your frame is butted or not, if not you can sandpaper the middle part of the tubes a few mm's (that's insane)
    -i agree with the idea of cutting your seatpost to minimal length.
    -wear your shoes and undies while riding, do not wear or bring anything else

--->i'm sure you will experience a lot lighter ride

cheers
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted by: beastmaster303 a homeless guy who sticks his nose up at a free burrito because it is a day old is a homeless man that deserves to have a burrito thrown in his face

o-KAY, then.

• CommentAuthorchain suck
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2010 edited

• CommentAuthorNash

ok, enough is enough. cant we just get back on the original topic, burritos! oh, wait
    • CommentAuthorquidose

Posted By: Nashwho gives a shit what they give them and how or why they go about it. its better than doing nothing at all.

So drunken drive-by foodings are acceptable?
    Posted By: Nashok, enough is enough. cant we just get back on the original topic, burritos! oh, wait

As a weight-conscious cyclist of discriminating taste I insist on applying a comprehensive and intricate drillium treatment to every four pound burrito prior to consumption.
    • CommentAuthorquixoticle

to t_o, dape, rabbi, mekore - thank you for your suggestions.

now for my life story: i myself have only really started to take a closer look at cycling - fixed or otherwise - since i had some surgery done on my spine and found myself unable to train as i used to, probs for life (i used to run xcountry before i moved to nyc for school). so, since i apparently live in the hippest city ever, admittedly the interest in riding fixed over a conventional road bike came from it being so so trendy, but the concept nevertheless appealed to me, that is, the idea of doing all the legwork that gears would otherwise rescue you from. the deep-v's, from what i read, where a good choice do to their strength, which initially i was more interested in. but now after having spent a few months up on the saddle, i can really see myself getting more serious about riding to the extent i was about running. once again, thank you all for your suggestions.
    • CommentAuthorquixoticle

p.s., would a carbon fork/seat post make a significant difference on this frame?

p.p.s. the döner kebap is our equivalent of the burrito in deutschland

• CommentAuthorpolitburo

Posted By: quixoticle
    p.p.s. the döner kebap is our equivalent of the burrito in deutschland

interesting, but is "mit iodine?"
    Posted By: chain suckSo, let me get this straight... If the intended recipient of your questionable largess refuses your charity, they deserve to be assaulted? Make a condescending gesture to the least fortunate victims of society, but if they aren't grateful enough, slap them down some more? Classy!

I think you need to take what I said a little less literally. I'm not for assaulting homeless people in any context, and actually I plan to work with homeless people after college as a mental health professional. My point was simply that those ungrateful for the charity and kindness they do receive often aren't those who actually deserve it.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.