velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorzharkov
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2010

want a frame for riding in town, something light.like steel frames but not sure about anything elsee, dont know what to get?
    • CommentAuthorMaxwax360
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2010

Something like a kilo? whats your price range?
    Mercier Kilo TT or Leader 722TS.
    NJS or great dishonor.
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2010 edited

Posted By: zharkovomething light.like steel frames

my only complaint about my kilo is that it is quite heavy.
    • CommentAuthorncecchi
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2010

Posted By: delacruzkidMercier Kilo TT or Leader 722TS.

The Leader is in a totally different category than the KILO. Aluminum Leaders generally suck, but the steel 722 absolutely kills it with awesome tubing, perfect welds, and really nice track ends.
    Posted By: daniel danielNJS or great dishonor.

definitely.
    • CommentAuthorpolitburo

I got this, http://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_STOR20.cgi?Action=Details&ProdID=1799

and turned it into this

and couldnt be happier.

The only complaint is that the headset it comes with is garbage.
    Just built a Pake. Decent if you want to go custom. I also owned a Kilo a while back. As far as comparing the two, the Pake feels a bit more solid, but rides a bit stiffer. Also the new ones have a 1 1/8 head tube and a 27.2 seat post, making it slightly more practical as far as finding parts than the Kilo. Both are, however, an excellent value.
    • CommentAuthorzharkov

what about the new 2010 pake steel frames? good or bad?
    • CommentAuthorMaxwax360
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2010

go for the 2011 frame
    My Pake is custom and is most definitely not as nice as some bikes I have ridden, but for the price, it gets the job done.

Of course, the Cinelli Vigorelli is much more comfortable, but the Pake is a great beater bike.

It all depends of the price range my friend!
    • CommentAuthordape
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2010

Njs for steel. Really smooth ride and relatively light for steel. If i wanted to win a race i'd bring out the aluminum though.
    Posted By: cephalothoraxMy Pake is custom and is most definitely not as nice as some bikes I have ridden, but for the price, it gets the job done.

Of course, the Cinelli Vigorelli is much more comfortable, but the Pake is a great beater bike.

It all depends of the price range my friend!

Pake: $250 MSRP/ $350 with fork

Vigorelli: $900

I have nice bikes, I have "ghetto" bikes, and I've ridden damn near every high end crabon bike. Whil a nice bike does tend to ride nicer than a less expensive one, a good set of wheels, tires, pedals, saddle, and bars will nearly equalize them all. You may not see the snappy handling or exquisite BB stiffness, but a bike that is built up to fit you and is comfortable will always be the bike that you like to ride, Pake or Cinelli.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Posted By: dapeNjs for steel. Really smooth ride and relatively light for steel. If i wanted to win a race i'd bring out the aluminum though.

There will always be someone who says NJS. If you are going to pay that much for a frame, go custom.
    Posted By: cephalothoraxOf course, the Cinelli Vigorelli is much more comfortable, but the Pake is a great beater bike.

How is the Cinelli more "comfortable"? What does that even mean? Maybe it makes you feel more comfortable financially because you're riding a bike that is nearly 4x as expensive as a Pake. Regardless, I've ridden both frames… and can say, comfort-wise… the PAKE is better. The steel absorbed more road vibration, and I felt more comfortable leaving it locked on the streets then my Cinelli.

Posted By: dapeNjs for steel. Really smooth ride and relatively light for steel. If i wanted to win a race i'd bring out the aluminum though.

"NJS" branded bikes are not nessasarly lighter. I've seen many high-end FULL NJS built bikes be in the low 20's pounds. There is no such thing as "NJS STEEL" either, and just because it's NJS approved, does not mean it's smooth or light.

Anyway… on the same topic, there are guys at my local track riding heavy ass steel builds that weigh almost DOUBLE what some of the aluminum and carbon bikes weigh… and these guys are whooping everyones ass. Aluminum is not going to win you any races.
    • CommentAuthorpolitburo

^I second that. The strength of the rider determines speed, not the material or weight.

If you are already as good as you can be, think about getting something lighter to give you a bump. If you're a fat lazy mcdonalds eating lunchbox, no amount of carbon is going to improve your riding.
    • CommentAuthorparkman14

buy my kilo tt frame, headset (njs), and sugino 75 njs cranks and bottom bracket.
    great frame, the best cranks, for 350 bucks shipped right to your door. killer fucking deal. do it.
    do it.
    • CommentAuthorpolitburo

I'll take you headset, pm with info?

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.