velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

im new at this, and i.ve yet learn to lock my rear wheel to perform a skid. im running 52 in the front and 16 in the rear. what am i doing wong?
    • CommentAuthort0dk0n
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2008

Just go fast enough, get comfortable in a standing position, lean forward over the bars, lock your legs up hard. That's all you really need to know. Its just scary at first to overcome leaning over the handlebars, but after doing it a few times, you'll get used to it. What you're doing is lifting weight off the rear wheel by shifting the center of gravity to the front of the bike, while the rear wheel is unweighted, you lock your legs up, and the wheel will skid. Just hold it. Also, it might be helpful to find a comfortable position on your bars. Your gear ratio should be fine, I learned to skid on a 48:16 ratio.
    thanx. i will try that. i have seen people doing this without leaning foward ,so i thought i was doing something wrong. i even invested on front brakes because i got frustrate. ok. will do.
    • CommentAuthormeatroll

leaning over the bars gives you practically zero stopping power. maybe its a good way to learn but to actually slow yourself in less than a block you need to skid from the saddle. "investing" in a front brake is not a mistake, especially if you're new and trying to push 52x16. if you still have the 42 ring you might want to switch to that.
    i still have my 42t ring will switch out . that should also help me when going uphill.
    • CommentAuthorzzoundss

Dont lean over your bars too skid as stated. You can hardly stop at all and have virtually no control of your bike. Ive always thought if looks stupid as hell too. If you are running a brakeless bike, and you dont have toe clips/straps, get them now [or get some nice cleats and go clipless.] Having foot retention will allow you to skid in your saddle and actually stop your bike when you need to stop it. It is a much safer to ride with foot retention then without it.
    While you are riding, watch your feet. When your dominant foot is forward [lets say your right foot] and your left foot is back, pull up with your right foot and push down with your left. If it is your first time, try standing up a little and try to do a little endo. Youll see that your back wheel will pop up a little and then falls back to the ground. You will see that this action slows you down. This is a skip stop. Practice this until your are comfortable, then try doing them without standing up. Just pull up with one foot, push down with the other. You will skid. The longer you keep your legs locked, the quicker you will stop.
    Foot retention is the real key here. When you are really used to riding fixed gear, you wont need to look at your feet and youll be able to judge distance vs. the location of your feet as they are spinning. Brakeless bikes are so much more fun with toe clips and straps. Switch your chainring to something a little smaller if it helps. I ride a 48 and its fine.
    first, get a brake if you are riding brakeless, its dangerous on the road for yourself and others. second switch out your gearing! It will make things way easier
    • CommentAuthormeatroll

Posted By: Toaster_Cakefirst, get a brake if you are riding brakeless, its dangerous on the road for yourself and others. second switch out your gearing! It will make things way easier

come on now, nobody wants to have that discussion started. it's a slippery slope, soon every thread will be some iteration of "BRAKEFUL VS BRAKELESS".
    • CommentAuthort0dk0n
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2008

heh, I assumed he meant skidding just for fun.. I always thought skidding to stop was called "skipping" or just a skid stop. Either way though, that's how I learned to skid at all. I used my front brake at the time and slowing to a stop. But now I can use a variety of methods to safely stop.
    • CommentAuthorOtto Rax

i skid for fun, i skip to stop, it's like ABS on a bike
    +1 on riding with a front brake. Its good "just in case", especially if you ride with lots of traffic. Also, 52x16 is intense...my legs hurt just thinking about it!

But anyway, its all about unweighting the rear tire. My left leg is stronger by nature, but I skid with my right leg back. I let the motion of the pedal lift me off the saddle until I'm in a more forward position over the bike. Then I lock my right leg which is usually enough. I dont really pull up with my left leg as much anymore, but sometimes I do just to break the skid. For christsakes though, be careful if you ever do remove that front brake!
    • CommentAuthorAaron C

skidding is tons of fun, especially with a little snow on the road. as far as stopping power is concerned though locking up your rear wheel is not great and it gets expensive burning through tires. skipping works well (when your dominant foot gets to the top of the stroke get out of the saddle and start to lock up your opposite knee, it will pop your rear wheel, than pull up with your dominant foot and repeat, skipping until you stop.)

i always ride a front brake, and use it, because i commute long distances and i find my legs stay a lot fresher longer when i dont rely on locking up the wheel. but i think the best method to stop without a brake is to do a little skip to take the edge of you speed and then just soft pedal to a stop (skipping at the end if you need to slow more or reset your feet for a track stand). i feel like my stopping distance is much shorter this way than skidding.
    52/16 is a really heavy gear, getting a smaller gear will help you skid
    • CommentAuthortracksloth
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2008

Here is the best way: spin as fast as you can. Make sure all your slanty-haired friends are watching. Take your feet off the pedals, lean down and bring your face right down to the pavement. Don't close your eyes cause then you'll look like a pussy. And just let it slide...

;)
    • CommentAuthorhenrydec1

i learned on wet grass, and cement with just a little sand on it.
    • CommentAuthoralexv

grow some balls and just do it :)
    i like the old brakeless bmx stop when i get tired, just take a foot out of your clips and press your shoe to your back tire up near the top of the seat stays
    lean all the way forward until your nose is almost scraping the wheel ,then thow your feet off the pedals and your SURE TO SKIDDDDDD [:
    Yay.... I did it.. thanx.
    • CommentAuthorfilthpunx
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2009

just go out and ride your bike words on a screen wont help

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.