velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorfastfixie
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2009

There are some good videos on you tube also..
    • CommentAuthorCrailslider
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2009 edited

if you can believe it there are these folks with huge bags on their backs that ride though the streets of san francsico down hills and do this thing you call "skidding" not a hoax mind you
    Skidding is stupid.

Don't be me and go a week with doing the whip skid as your only form of stopping. Guaranteed to fuck up your knee or knees is you are ambidextrous.

Get a brake, or learn to skip and really just build up your leg muscle to only resist.
    • CommentAuthorOtto Rax
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2009

ditto Tbird
    your gear is heavy, very heavy
    try something softer
    also be careful when using front brake and skidding - when you are not 100% familiar with your bike physics you may surprise yourself - i hit a brake once, while pushing pedals to skid, rear wheel went up, and i made a heavy backspin, loosing my balance totally
    so watch out
    and last thing - skidding is almost impossible without straps or clips, as you HAVE TO pull your front leg up while pushing rear one down
    • CommentAuthorOtto Rax
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2009 edited

which is complete bullshit. one my schwinn track, i run 50/50 platforms and no brake, and can skid just as well as alot of people with clips. you don't "HAVE TO". it's helpful to learn though

edit: i used to have a brake on there, and will probably put one on again. it wears your back knee out.
    tedshred its fun n easy
    • CommentAuthoro_O
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2009

Posted By: Otto Raxwhich is complete bullshit. one my schwinn track, i run 50/50 platforms and no brake

shit is scary.
    • CommentAuthorcranej311
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2009

if you have a conversion they are a little more difficult to skid because of the geometry. With a track bike and a nice and long stem you can put your weight over the front wheel super easily. if your regular you will pull up with your left foot and push back with the right at the right time (this takes practice). and you can skid for days. especially in the rain.

Try No handed skids, there fun
    • CommentAuthorAeroNani
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2009

I have a conversion and It's easiest for me to skid staying seated. Just keep trying and you'll get it eventually. It took me about a day to get it down , so just be patient you won't get it the first time. Goodluck!
    @AeroNani: what is your gear ratio?
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2009

her bike profile says 42-18. pretty light.
    • CommentAuthormaxmatias

If you want to start nice and easy just go in the grass.
    • CommentAuthordeermatt

i learned leg over the handle bar skids in the grass :)
    I just started riding fixed myself, so I am not yet strong enough to fully skid but really, it's kind of just flashy and wears out your tires. I have no shame. I have a front brake for gnarly hills and the rest of the time I skip stop or use my legs for slowing. Yeah, I know "brakeless is a more pure form of riding" I have heard it before but I am not a purest anyway. Plus, wiping out and dying doesn't sound all that pure to me. The point is, safety first, get a front brake and skid and do tricks second. I don't use the brake unless absolutely needed but I can safely say that I have the ability to stop incase of danger and bomb any hill that I encounter. Skids are for parking lots and youtube, not for stopping your bike safely.
    • CommentAuthordeermatt
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2009

spacerokkid - your also riding a conversion , its probably for the better your using a brake .
    why does this matter? i am pretty sure that track frames dont skid or stop any better without brakes than a conversion. maybe i am wrong, i am still a newbie.
    • CommentAuthordeermatt

you are wrong . Road frames have totally different geometry , and its not the same for skidding .
    ok, liked i said, i am new so i am still learning. can you explain how the geometry makes skidding and stopping a safer option for track frames rather than road frames? i am pretty sure a brake would probably be a safer option regardless of frame geometry. not to mention, most newer and cheaper track frames actually use a track/road combination geometry. newer track frames or stock fixed gear bikes are also made for road these days, hence why they come stock with brakes, not just because they are trying to make you look uncool when you purchase it. track bikes dont require brakes in the velodrome but i doubt they are skidding on the track either so i am not sure how skidding is determined by the geometry? i still think brakes on ANY setup is safer and it seems to be basted on terrain, not on your frame. if you are going to bomb huge hills on your bike, skidding just isnt safe no matter how skilled you are or the type of bike you are on, period. the most experienced riders and the most expensive track frame is no match for a monster hill without a brake.
    • CommentAuthordeermatt

A brake is probably safer , if you know what your doing . Ive heard several cases of people going over the handle bars after using the brake on their track bikes. Im saying its not as easy to skid on a conversion cause your riding position isnt the same.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.