velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorspacecake
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2010

I love my Gatorskins. They've treated me really well and have lasted a lot longer than I expected. I"ll need to replace the rear pretty soon and was wondering what you guys think about the Gator Hardshells. I've read some reviews....all good, but wanted to see if anyone using them has any input. I heard they don't skid as well as some others. I've never had any complaints skidding my regular gators... Thnx for any feedback! Cheers.
    They seem pretty decent judging by most reviews online.

Personally, I don't judge my tires on how well they skid. I feel there are more important things to judge a tire on then it's skidability.
    • CommentAuthorspacecake

Yes of course....I wasn't saying all I care about is skidding. Everything I read about them was favorable in regards to handling, weight, puncture resistance and overall performance. I brought up skidding since that was the ONE thing I heard that wasn't as positive as the rest......and since I'm riding fixed it is a factor. Anyone who's actually using them...your opinion's appreciated.
    • CommentAuthorsfbee

I've run them on my fixed gear for quite some time, and have never had any problems skidding with them. I actually just moved up from 25s to 28s, which have been great so far. I installed them with tuffy strips, though I don't know why, because I only had one flat with the 25s (hit a pot hole really hard on a dark road).

You can always find a great deal on them too. I bought 2 pairs of 28s from treefortbikes for 28 a pop, due to their automatic price matching against some other site i'd never heard of before. Probikekit always has continental stuff on sale too.
    Posted By: sfbeeI bought 2 pairs of 28s from treefortbikes for 28 a pop, due to their automatic price matching against some other site i'd never heard of before.

Gotta love the instant price match.
    • CommentAuthorsfbee

Yeah, I scooped those up quick for my fixed gear and road bike. Was a pretty good deal considering you usually can't find them for less than 36 or 38.

It looks like the 28s can still be had for 32 bucks from treefort via price match:
    I would, but I'm a big fan of buying the used tires which hang on the co-op wall. The worst that happens is that I die when they fail, right?
    Well, that, or you discover that you're responsible for the Holocaust.
    • CommentAuthorChilvers
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2010

too soon
    • CommentAuthorspacecake

Thanks, bee. Appreciate the info.
    I was considering purchasing these but what's the difference between the folding and the steel version? Is just like earlier generations of the gatorskins that were folding or wire bead?
    • CommentAuthorMKE_BIKE

i have one on my fixed and it has lasted me 5 month and still going with no punctures . I swear by them now
    • CommentAuthorgeej

i never had the gatorskins but i have the gator hardshells and have no problem skidding with them
    • CommentAuthorVama
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2011

I seem to be one of the few people that's had a lot of problems with the gatorskins (haven't tried the hardshells)... on the 23's, when using tubes that were only rated 18 to 23, I kept having tubes die on me... no one seemed to know why, and my LBS that I always went to only stocked 18-23 for 23 tubes. it occured to me that the fat GS's might need a larger tube, switched it up from a different store and the problem was resolved. odd. also, the puncture resistance has been less than optimal. very small pieces of glass that I could pick out of Ruffy Tuffys all day can pop thru the GS's... so now I watch the ground a lot more anally than I did before with the RT's. between the larger tubes and being way more careful (and picking any debris outta the tires whenever I end a ride after nasty patches) I've had good luck, but sometimes when you are squeezed between cars you have no choice but to run over the glass and that doesn't make me feel great.
    • CommentAuthorncecchi
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2011

I disagree.

The gatorskins, let alone the hardshells are INDESTRUCTIBLE. stairs, drops, glass, potholes, cars, pieces of metal, etc. they rule it all.
    I run my 28's with 18-23 tubes and it works fine. you can pretty much use any smaller tube in a bigger tire.
    • CommentAuthorVama
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2011

no tire is "indestructible"... and I have a collection of tiny glass slivers which have pierced two different Gatorskins.
    • CommentAuthorncecchi
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2011

no shit. even over the internet, I'm sure you can grasp that it isn't meant to be literal.

who keeps the glass from punctures? I'm calling BS on that one.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.