velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorDingo
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2010

I wanted to change my downtube shifters on my bike to bar shifters but wasn't sure if it could be done. The bike is a 1987 Peugeot Puymorens with a six speed freewheel and has Shimano 600 Ultegra parts on it. Been doing a little research but not sure if it is possible to do.
    • CommentAuthorNash

yes you can and its a easy swap.here are the parts http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=16733 . I run a old deore xt rapidfire shifter on this bike https://velospace.org/node/18542 . works great and is cheap to do.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2010 edited

That's half of the solution: How to run the shifter cables up to the handlebars. The other half is, how do you pull those cables once you've gotten them there?

You haven't specified whether you want indexed or friction shifting (or both). If you want to use friction shifting, any older barcon shifters will work - Suntour, Shimano, Campagnolo, Simplex are the most common ones. You can also get bar-end pods from Rivendell, and move your existing downtube levers up to the bar ends. Indexed shifting would be trickier; Suntour made an indexed 6-speed Accushift shifter in both DT and barcon form, but there aren't a lot around. I'm not sure whether Shimano made 6-speed indexed bar shifters; if your current DT shifters are indexed, it might be easier to use the Rivendell pods and your current shifters.

Suntour power ratchet friction bar shifters are common as dirt, inexpensive, and they work great. They are my default friction shifters for any old-frame build where I don't have a historically-accurate stick up my ass.

Warning: Your rear derailleur cable is going to have to get a lot longer. My experience is usually that I have to get a tandem derailleur cable to get enough length; my LBS charges $6 for them, twice what they charge for regular road cables.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Posted By: eaglerockMy experience is usually that I have to get a tandem derailleur cable to get enough length; my LBS charges $6 for them, twice what they charge for regular road cables.

Sun and Ski sports practically gave me the cables when I bought mine.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: veggie
    Posted By: eaglerockMy experience is usually that I have to get a tandem derailleur cable to get enough length; my LBS charges $6 for them, twice what they charge for regular road cables.

Sun and Ski sports practically gave me the cables when I bought mine.

But you bought a set of barcons, yes? In that case, a goodie tossed in makes sense. I scrounged my barcons used off CL ($20), and the shifter cable was the only thing I bought at the LBS that day.

They've given me lots of freebies, though.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Posted By: eaglerockBut you bought a set of barcons, yes? In that case, a goodie tossed in makes sense

Nope, all I bought were the cables. They were marked down so much I presume because nobody bought them.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2010

Posted By: veggieThey were marked down so much I presume because nobody bought them.

Everybody note: Houston TX is a tandem-unfriendly environment.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Posted By: eaglerock
    Posted By: veggieThey were marked down so much I presume because nobody bought them.

Everybody note: Houston TX is a tandem-unfriendly environment.

And how many tandems have you seen around town today?
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2010 edited

Posted By: veggieAnd how many tandems have you seen around town today?

Today (Thursday)? I just went to Trader Joe's, so I only saw two. I was riding around yesterday (Wednesday), and saw eight (including a couple of junkers), while only going to one LBS. But I live in a bike-centric college town, so my experience may not be typical.

I think you missed my joke, son. If an LBS can't get rid of a tandem-essential consumable like a shifter cable, then there just can't be many people in the area who want tandems. Unless there's a big SS tandem community that's escaped everyone's attention.

(Foghorn Leghorn: "That's a joke, son! Don'tcha get it?")
    • CommentAuthorveggie

I know.

My tandem is such a spectacle when I take it out, especially when I have no stoker.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: veggieMy tandem is suck a spectacle when I take it out, especially when I have no stoker.

You could start a rotating Designated Stoker pool amongst your buds, with each of them riding one day every (week/two weeks?), to relieve your embarrassment. I believe that embarrassment relief is a codicil to the Bro Code, and you would be within your rights as a bro to claim it.

(Bro Code #189: A bro may not leave another bro exposed to ridicule. Therefore, if a bro is involved in an embarrassing activity, any bro witnessing said embarrassing activity must participate, to relieve the first bro from being jeered at as an isolated complete tool.)
    • CommentAuthorveggie

No embarrassment riding it alone.
    Posted By: eaglerockYou can also getbar-end podsfrom Rivendell, and move your existing downtube levers up to the bar ends.

Personally, I love this solution. It gives you all sorts of equipment flexibility while putting shifters in a great spot.
    If you have barcons that are shimano, you can get them to mount onto road bars (26.0) with mounts from Paul.
    I don't think you mean barcons.
    Joshua - yes I did.
    The Paul mounts ("Thumbies") let you run bar end (barcon) shifters like MTB thumbshifters.

So, that's what I did.
    Figured: Simple, cheap and durable vs brifters/all-in-one shifter and brake levers.
    I did this for my 16 speed road bike.
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2011

Posted By: CanadaSteepJoshua - yes I did.
    The Paul mounts ("Thumbies") let you run bar end (barcon) shifters like MTB thumbshifters.

No, you didn't. They let you run downtube shifters like thumbshifters.

• CommentAuthoreaglerock

You're actually both sorta right. Most barcon shifters are downtubish shifters mounted to pods that fit into the bar end, so you could remove the shifter assembly from the pod, and then mount it on a Thumbie. But if you're starting from scratch, it's way cheaper to just get DT shifters to start with, and avoid the price upgrade for barcons.

All that said, I think barcon people and top-of-bar shifting people are different people. I wouldn't want to put my barcons on the top of the bar, and I have trouble understanding why anyone else would.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Posted By: eaglerockMost barcon shifters are downtubish shifters mounted to pods that fit into the bar end, so you could remove the shifter assembly from the pod, and then mount it on a Thumbie

I was going to state that, but decided not to for reasons unknown, I think I was in a hurry.
    The one thing I found is that the Road sized Paul mounts only support Shimano shifters.
    I emailed them to verify, else I would have got some old Superbe pro shifters.
    Basically, I'm notplanning to do a lot of shifting and wanted to keep the look clean,
    and to minimize maintenance and cost for a 14/16 speed bike (waiting on an 8 Speed freewheel).
    Fyi, it's for the Pinarello frame I have up - will get photos this week :)

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.