velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

hello, i dont know which category to put this topic so, ill leave it in the general category
    yeah im a bit noob for asking this question

but i have a front Origin8 track pro wheel and it is laced and is it possible to make it radial?

no bashing please, i just want my simple question to be answered

thanks
    • CommentAuthordanzap209
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2010

Sure, but you will need shorter spokes.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Of course, you will just need to completely rebuild the wheel with shorter spokes as danzap said.

That's an awful lot of work for that wheel though.
    oh i see..

well, i got the wheel cheap for $30

is it possible that a LBS can do it?
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2010 edited

Of course a LBS can do it. I would un-lace the wheel and take it to them. A far as they have to know, the wheel is being built for the first time, aside from it looking used.
    ouoo i see

thanks!
    • CommentAuthorveggie

No problem.

If you can figure out how to do it on your own, you will save some money.

Do bike kitchens have truing stands? Anyone?
    • CommentAuthorpolitburo
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2010 edited

Sounds like you will be spending a lot of money rebuilding a wheel that is just "ok" and making it weaker by making it radial. Why do you want to do this, aesthetics? Unless you are veggie sized(<140lb) this doesnt sound like a good idea because:

1. Radial will go out of true quicker than 2x or 3x cross
    2. Expensive to build a wheel.

Ride it until it dies, meanwhile save your money for a good wheelset.
    All the ones I have been to do...
    • CommentAuthordanzap209

You're going to spend around $1.50 per spoke. Plus about $50 for labor. Just buy another wheel
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Posted By: politburo2. Expensive to build a wheel.

Posted By: danzap209You're going to spend around $1.50 per spoke. Plus about $50 for labor. Just buy another wheel

That's why I suggested he do it himself. Spokes are reasonably cheap if you get them online and he already has nipples
    Building wheels is fun. It's not cheap, though.

There's also nothing weak about a radially laced spokes. Just don't do it in the back. You can do half-radial if you like, but make sure you're going from instructions.
    • CommentAuthorheadydude
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2010

a child could radially lace a wheel
    Posted By: headydudea child could radially lace a wheel

well, that explains their appeal.
    I like a radially laced front and a half-radial rear. I think the front is aesthetically simpler and the rear has mechanical advantages, according to Sheldon.
    • CommentAuthorncecchi
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2010

for that price you can get an Alex rim to a shimano hub laced radially from nashbar with butted DT spokes for like $70.
    I don't see that. Link?
    You can also have your credit card/debit card's security be violated multiple times with nashbar too!
    Posted By: Joshua A.C. NewmanBuilding wheels is fun. It's not cheap, though.

There's also nothing weak about a radially laced spokes. Just don't do it in the back. You can do half-radial if you like, but make sure you're going from instructions.

if theres nothing weak about radial laced wheel, then why some people say its "bad"? i specifically dont abuse my track bike on the streets nor go over pot holes *speed bumps are different since theres plenty in chicago streets/alley*

i also use a bontrager select front wheel and a forte titan front wheel *dont ask why but i personally like these wheels*
    Why some people say rainbows bad? Hulk want answers to big questions. Hulk want make informed decisions.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.