velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

So I'm planning to upgrade my Sugino RD2 crankset, which are 165mm, to a SRAM Omnium crankset. I found a set of Omniums, however, they're out of stock on 165 and the smallest size is 167.5. Is that 2.5mm increase unnoticeable? Or should I gather about $35 more and find the Omniums in a size that I'm already comfortable with? Opinions, experiences, etc. are needed. Thanks.
    All depends of how long your legs are I am like 30ish inseam and used to ride 165 and it was comfy but once I got 167.5 I felt a slight difference and I liked it more it felt just right
    just get the 167.5 It probably wont make much of a difference, especially if your a larger guy
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2010

I ride 172.5 road cranks on my rush. Anybody want to loan me some 165/167.5 cranks? The shortest cranks I've used are 170's.
    • CommentAuthormeatman
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2010 edited

I don't think you're going to notice any negative out of it. The only thing you'll have to do is lower your seat-post about 2.5 millimeters. The only difference you'll notice is a tiny bit more torque.
    Posted By: meatmanI don't think you're going to notice any negative out of it. The only thing you'll have to do is lower your seat-post about 2.5 millimeters. The only difference you'll notice is more torque.

not necessarily, there is also that extra 2.5 mm on the upstroke creating a greater bend in the knee. Assuming he has his seat adjusted correctly, that 2.5 mm wont adjust his extended knee angle very much. I think he should keep his seat where it is, unless he starts feeling discomfort or pain or feels he is over extending his knee
    • CommentAuthormeatman
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2010

^ I can see what your saying, however I've changed from 167.5 to 170 before and immediately noticed I needed to change the height. It wasn't much, but I did have to lower it. And the extra on the upstroke... I never noticed it or even thought of it until now.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark

The only thing I ever worry about is cornering clearance with longer cranks. 2.5mm more is probably not an issue.
    • CommentAuthorAaron C

Posted By: roadbikebreck
    Posted By: meatmanI don't think you're going to notice any negative out of it. The only thing you'll have to do is lower your seat-post about 2.5 millimeters. The only difference you'll notice is more torque.

not necessarily, there is also that extra 2.5 mm on the upstroke creating a greater bend in the knee. Assuming he has his seat adjusted correctly, that 2.5 mm wont adjust his extended knee angle very much. I think he should keep his seat where it is, unless he starts feeling discomfort or pain or feels he is over extending his knee

if your saddle is adjusted properly for a 165 crank you need to lower your seat if you are going to a 167.5. You wont notice the extra at the top of the stroke because your legs are already folded, you will however notice an overextension at the bottom of your stroke which can become very uncomfortable.

that being said, if his seat post isn't set properly in the first place it really doesn't matter does it.
    • CommentAuthorLegislator

profile racing makes 190's, leverage is rad.
    Posted By: Legislatorprofile racing makes 190's, leverage is rad.

but then it starts to mess with your spin

Posted By: Aaron C

if your saddle is adjusted properly for a 165 crank you need to lower your seat if you are going to a 167.5. You wont notice the extra at the top of the stroke because your legs are already folded, you will however notice an overextension at the bottom of your stroke which can become very uncomfortable.

that being said, if his seat post isn't set properly in the first place it really doesn't matter does it.

sorry i meant assuming his seat isnt adjusted properly in the firstplace.

Posted By: SkidMarkThe only thing I ever worry about is cornering clearance with longer cranks. 2.5mm more is probably not an issue.

it wont matter as long as he is using his track bike for its intended purpose
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: roadbikebreckit wont matter as long as he is using his track bike for its intended purpose

That may be the biggest non sequitur I've ever seen posted on vs. Show of hands: How many people here are using their track bikes for their intended purpose, which is traveling in counterclockwise loops while leaning over?
    • CommentAuthormeatman

Posted By: eaglerockShow of hands: How many people here are using their track bikes for their intended purpose, which is traveling in counterclockwise loops while leaning over?

(hand up) that's me everyday, I ride around the block over and over and over again always turning left. That's the only time I ride my bike...
    • CommentAuthormeatman

Posted By: roadbikebreckAssuming he has his seat adjusted correctly,

Posted By: roadbikebrecksorry i meant assuming his seat isnt adjusted properly in the firstplace.

what? you completely said the opposite...
    got them mixed up
    • CommentAuthormeatman

mistakes happen
    • CommentAuthorncecchi

well, I know that the RD2's are all the same crank length, they just drill the hole at a different spot.

Omnium's might be the same, you should look into it. If you are running small pedals, like some eggbeaters, it won't matter.
    • CommentAuthorBen Hittle

I honestly don't think you'll notice a difference. You really don't have to adjust your seat if its set at a proper height now, and the extra leverage can't hurt, I say go for it.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark

Posted By: SkidMarkThe only thing I ever worry about is cornering clearance with longer cranks. 2.5mm more is probably not an issue.

it wont matter as long as he is using his track bike for its intended purpose

Have you ever ridden a steeply banked track like Alpenrose?
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Posted By: SkidMarkHave you ever ridden a steeply banked track like Alpenrose?

Silly question.

Of course he hasn't.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.