velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorMartyMar
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2010

Hello

I just got a 2010 FTComp for a steal brand new. I really like it so far: it's MUCH faster than the Fuji Feather I previously had. I am new to this and have a couple of questions

I am planning to replace the stock Crankset (Fuji "Competion Grade Components"....any info on their quality?) with my SRAM Omnium. I read on another forum here that it rubs the chainstay and can't put it on. I really hope not because I LOVE that crank, man!

any info is helpful...even if you or someone you know is riding an ftp with opinions, etc.

Thanks a lot
    Posted By: MartyMarit's MUCH faster

I dont think so

With the Omnium crank I think you can adjust the spacing with the bb
    • CommentAuthorquidose

Posted By: bensonisajewWith the Omnium crank I think you can adjust the spacing with the bb

No.
    Sorry then I read wrong somewhere.
    Deff try it out for yourself see if the arms touch the chainstay at the LBS
    Posted By: suicide_doors
    Posted By: willnickThis is with extra 3mm of spacers on as well

Which is a horrible idea on a fixed gear bike. Very likely there is not enough thread engagement to keep the cups seated in the BB shell. Not to mention the fact that there really isn't that much adjustability in the Omnium's spindle.

That's too bad for Trek... but it's not like they're going to admit that there is a problem.
    The clearance issue with Omniums, at least the one I have seen/read about/experienced is the width of the spider, not the arms themselves. The spider is super, SUPER burly, and won't clear certain frames. I BELIEVE that the Fuji Track model people were having problems with was the 2008 Pro, but I can't remember for sure, and it wasn't just with the Omnium. I have seen at least one 2009+ FTC with Omniums on here, so I wouldn't worry.

Also, since you have both of these items already, it's not like it would be hard to take Benson's advice and, you know, try them together.
    Here's Omnium VS S300 double via BF:
    • CommentAuthorMartyMar

Thanks for the feedback! didn't expect such rapid replies...now....how to get an affordable bike stand and some schooling on working on my bike ALONE, without having to pay at a bike shop!!!!

I guess I'll try it out. That crank is nice. By the way, The stock Fuji "competition"crank is kind of creaking....is that normal for a new BB?
    Finally, to clarify the quote of mine which Benson posted above:
    A track bike or single speed, or really anything you might ride where you're going to be going immediately from a stop to pushing 60+ gear inches, shouldn't have any more than maybe a millimeter wide spacer between the BB shell and the cup. This is because there will be a ton of weight put on the BB shell in the initial few strokes, and likely more over the span of the ride than would ever be put on a standard road or mountain shell. The threads can easily strip or the shell crack as a result of being only halfway engaged because some fucking moron decided to throw five millimeters of spacers between his cups and the frame. Instead, get a crank that will work for the frame. Marty, this doesn't apply to you because your crank should fit fine. If it doesn't for some reason, let us know, but I'm fairly certain that the original FTC crank will be more than adequate.
    Posted By: MartyMarThe stock Fuji "competition"crank is kind of creaking....is that normal for a new BB?

The most common cause of creaking is something that hasn't been tightened to spec. Chainring bolts are by far the most common.

As for a stand, try CL. If you want some instructional aide, I'd be willing to bet that more than one of our Chi residents can point you in the right direction.
    • CommentAuthorChilvers
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2010 edited

when in doubt.. and the internet isnt enough, go to Yojimbo's. marcus is an expert.
    • CommentAuthorMartyMar
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2010

He's like the Yoda of bikes. Thanks...
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Posted By: MartyMarHe's like the Yoda of bikes.

Although he doesn't speak that funny.
    • CommentAuthorMartyMar

Speak normal, he does

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.