velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

Messenger bags and just overall cycling luggage?

What I am referring to is this Yalta Roll-Top backpack by Chrome

I have been seeing a rise in these rectangular shaped messenger backpacks. Is this going to be the new trend? Anyways what do you guys think of this back pack?

This video is by far the best video i have ever seen. No joke, the music is perfect, I love the camera and the editing. I know its one of those LATFH but seriously it has a bit of everything for everyone.... I love everything about this film. Keep it up down there at Chrome

• CommentAuthoriliketoes
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2010

I don't care too much for that video.

With that said, I love my "cycling specific" "messenger" backpack (with the exception that I feel like a tool wearing it off-bike). I have a Chrome Ranchero, their non-roll-top model. It's large enough to fit a bunch of groceries if you shop cleverly (I fit a well-loaded shopping basket perfectly) or a flat of Rainier tall-boys (the selling point). The bag is comfortable and durable as hell; only downsides being its price.

Bottom-line: If you can afford to pay a lot of money for a "designer" bag, this new generation of messenger backpacks are a great investment for people who like to ride in the rain or carry a lot of stuff. Caveat: caring about trends is much more likely to make you kind of a douche (note the gentlemen in the video). Run a front brake and make sure your riding buddy buys at least a different color than you.
    Posted By: iliketoesI don't care for that video.

Ditto.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

I believe they are gay lovers.

But there is nothing wrong with that.
    Posted By: veggieI believe they are gay lovers.

Making fun of John Cardiel?
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Posted By: bensonisajewMaking fun of John Cardiel?

I have no idea who that is, i was just commenting on how they were acting/what they were doing.
    • CommentAuthorjdg

their bromance is palpable.
    • CommentAuthorWilburito

That was embarrassing.
    • CommentAuthorpeazweag
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2010

I am SICK
    I was looking into t-level bags a couple of days ago since they have a vented back.
    I like backpacks more than messenger bags, since they sit more secure on your back and I don't need a fast access to anything and you can go on longerrides without getting annoyed by the bag.
    The rectangular shape seems like a good idea, better for wide boxes and stuff, which go well in a messenger bag.
    • CommentAuthorAaron C

for some reason it really irritated me when he put the record in his bag, up against his back. Vinyl abuse.

I like the idea but i hate backpacks, i think my shoulders are lopsided so i can never get the bag arranged perfectly and i fidget with it the whole day.
    • CommentAuthortimmy240

Posted By: Aaron Cfor some reason it really irritated me when he put the record in his bag, up against his back. Vinyl abuse.

+1!! I was almost incredulous when he first did that.
    • CommentAuthorlatron

Posted By: Aaron Ci hate backpacks

+1
    Posted By: Aaron Cfor some reason it really irritated me when he put the record in his bag, up against his back. Vinyl abuse..

+1. But few things are more hipster than vinyl, so they had to throw that in there.
    backpacks are nice and will remain popular with recreational cyclists, but for actual messenger work, the single strap bag is not going anywhere. the speed with which you can swing it around your torso, access the contents and swing it back around to your back without taking it off is just too important. i have a chrome messenger bag, the 2nd largest size and i got a F-ING HUGE Chrome Warsaw that i thought i'd love for messenger work. not so. having to take off the two straps and put the whole thing back on and figuring out what to do with the huge flap all the time when i'm frequently accessing the contents was a pain in the ass. also when you're carrying a lot of roll-shaped packages from print shops, i'd rather have them angled out to the side away from my head than straight up behind my head the way a backpack positions tall objects, causing them to hit the back of my helmet. i still use the Warsaw and love it--for grocery shopping. it's storage is unrivaled, but the single strap messenger bag is not going to be replaced for what it was intended for--messengers.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Posted By: beastmaster303But few things are more hipster than vinyl

That's true, but boy do I love mah records.
    • CommentAuthortypeDvorak

Posted By: veggie
    Posted By: beastmaster303But few things are more hipster than vinyl

That's true, but boy do I love mah records.

FLAC?
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Posted By: typeDvorakFLAC?

What about it, that's what I use for all(or most) of the music on my computer.
    Posted By: latron

+1
    • CommentAuthorurchin0903
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2010

Posted By: carbon fiber15
    Posted By: latron

+1

thanks for the valuable comments guys

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.