velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

I'm stuck between these two wheels for the front. They're both in the same price range (180ish), however they're both used. What would you recommend?
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2010

If you have to have one of them, the jet.

latfh
    • CommentAuthorbobdol3

Jet!!!!!
    Posted By: veggielatfh

In my opinion. Buy the Aerospoke. Then proceed to throw said Aerospoke into Mt. Vesuvius and never speak of it again.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

At least the Jet isn't heavy as shit.
    • CommentAuthorwaltsmith

Get the Aerospoke, it's a scientific fact that they clear twice as many barspinzzzzz than any other wheel.
    HED vs aerospoke?
    Duh aerospoke doood
    get both

and sell it for higher price, and then proceed on getting a better front wheel
    Haha, this thread is going about like I thought it would be. If you are asking for opinions on aerospokes in this forum you reeeaaallly haven't been doing your homework.
    • CommentAuthorheadydude
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2010

BBBBBBB Benny and the Hed. Jet.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

Go out and ask the first 5 asian hipster chicks you see and do whatever they say. Impressing them is the only thing either of those wheels are good for.
    Posted By: wes m.Go out and ask the first 5 asian hipster chicks you see and do whatever they say. Impressing them is the only thing either of those wheels are good for.

+1
    • CommentAuthorjayohachen

Posted By: wes m.Go out and ask the first 5 asian hipster chicks you see and do whatever they say. Impressing them is the only thing either of those wheels are good for.

This is how I will now make all my bike related decisions.
    Check it out… so, the HED JET wheels are only Velocity Aerohead aluminum rims with a soft, flexible carbon shell over it for aerodynamic purposes, and to look awesome. In all practicality, they are no good for the street. Yes, they are strong, but just as strong as a regular box-section aluminum rim is. However, the downside is they are terrible in cross-winds. Second, the shell is rather fragile, and laying your bike against your friends bike or a bike rake can easily crack it or poke a hole in it. Thirdly, they are so deep, it makes it impossible to lock up your wheels with a U lock still going thru the frame (you must use a cable)

So… even though I would personally take a HED wheels over an Aerospoke ANYDAY (because I actually race on a track), and although I HATE Aerospoke wheels…. I seriously suggest you either getting the Aerospoke, or getting neither, save your money on pointless wheels and use the money towards a decent wheelset or better seat/bars/pedals (contact points).
    Looking at your MASI build… I would probably suggest, instead of getting two different pointless wheels that will only make your bike heavier (which it seems you're only wanting them for hipster scene points anyway)… I would invest in a better seat to save yourself to have kids when older, and second… quality (Toshi) double straps with Quad-Gate cages.

These few changes will not only give you more comfort, but also give you more climbing/sprinting/stopping power. I might also wrap your bars and ditch the track grips.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Posted By: terrible_one49Check it out… so, the HED JET wheels are only Velocity Aerohead aluminum rims with a soft, flexible carbon shell over it

I did not know that. Isn't the aerospoke built on top of an aerohead also?
    Posted By: veggie
    Posted By: terrible_one49Check it out… so, the HED JET wheels are only Velocity Aerohead aluminum rims with a soft, flexible carbon shell over it

yes
    Posted By: terrible_one49Looking at your MASI build… I would probably suggest, instead of getting two different pointless wheels that will only make your bike heavier (which it seems you're only wanting them for hipster scene points anyway)… I would invest in a better seat to save yourself to have kids when older, and second… quality (Toshi) double straps with Quad-Gate cages.

These few changes will not only give you more comfort, but also give you more climbing/sprinting/stopping power. I might also wrap your bars and ditch the track grips.

Thanks for the advice. I'm think I'm going to go with the Aerospoke and try to make some profit off of it. I'll ride it in the meantime. I'm waiting for one of my friends to part out his bike and get his Toshi and quad-gates. The saddle is going to be replaced with an SLR XP soon. I already replaced the bars with Syntace Stratos. I'm rebuilding my bike slowly, but surely.
    • CommentAuthordevalious
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2010

Aerospokes are stronger in my opinion.
    • CommentAuthorstalag13
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2010

Posted By: beastmaster303
    Posted By: veggie

yes

wait a second, so when people talk about carbon rims failing cause of cracks, is that really full of shit? if it's just a carbon shell over an Aerohead, then a cracked shell shouldn't by itself have an effect on the aluminum rim underneath, right?

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.