velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorwes m.
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2010

If the spokes are carbon/composite (aerospoke, hed3) and there is a crack you are f'ed. If the rim is carbon with no traditional aluminum rim embedded and there is a crack you are f'ed.
    • CommentAuthorstalag13
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2010

oh yeah, spokes. thanks.
    HED JET carbon shell can get cracks, and the wheel be fine. Hell, I saw one on Ebay recently and all the spokes had ripped big tears in the carbon, somehow.

However, a FULL carbon rim or full carbon wheel… if you get any damage… it's fucked.
    • CommentAuthordrygoods81
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2010

Posted By: terrible_one49HED JET carbon shell can get cracks, and the wheel be fine. Hell, I saw one on Ebay recently and all the spokes had ripped big tears in the carbon, somehow.

However, a FULL carbon rim or full carbon wheel… if you get any damage… it's fucked.

yeah that jet wheel was actually re-laced to a diffrent hub hence probably why the carbon fairing eyelets where all cracked. i managed to pick up a front jet 9 c2 w/ hed track hub brand new off ebay for 400 bucks recently and i must say the wheel is solid as fuck.
    • CommentAuthorDavidM10
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2010

Save your self time and just get one of these :)

Same as an Aerospoke. (Heavy)
    I had one before and NO, not the best wheel. Go for the Jet.
    • CommentAuthorpeazweag
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2010

Posted By: veggieAt least the Jet isn't heavy as shit.
    I'm confused,just how heavy is shit?
    • CommentAuthorjonXmack

From my measurements, about 800g-1kg. That's how much lighter I tend to be if I weigh myself before/after shitting.
    • CommentAuthorurchin0903

good answer i tried to cha cha it for him but nothin came up. actually said no one had asked the question before
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Posted By: peazweagI'm confused,just how heavy is shit?

speaking of heavy shit, Have you ever cleaned a cat box? Cats can definitely shit their weight.
    Ah, the life of an obligate carnivore.
    • CommentAuthornotryt
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2011 edited

In my 35 years of cycling and racing (cat 3) I can personally attest to the fact that the aerospoke is yes, heavier but leaps and bounds better than Hed-Jets (60s).. Best Hed wheel is the Tri-spoke. Worst wheel, Spynergy Rev-X Ive used all these wheels at one time or another and with aerospokes what you lose in weight (or actually gain) is made up in aerodynamics... and in any cross-wind the aerospoke is the hands-down winner.
    Since I know none of you probably ever tried aerospokes at all.. or maybe only one ride.. you are no authority.. but since Ive used all these wheels at one time.. the aerospoke .. maybe not the best racing for time wheel.. but is the best all round wheel.. and definitely the best training wheel.. they're damn near indestructible... Most of your high dollar boutique wheels do not perform any better than a velocity or a alexrim... the real test is when will the wheel actually become unstable. this has to do with wheel construction,weight of rider, speed of the bike, road composition. Any quality built wheel will become unstable at some point..Question is when????
    • CommentAuthorper.k
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2011

Is it ironic that your name sounds like "not right"?

I think you make some valid arguments, but to claim that the real test of a wheel is when it becomes unstable seems silly. What about the other 90% of the time you are dealing with it in decent shape? How it rides then seems like it should matter just as much.
    • CommentAuthornotryt
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2011 edited

When will the wheel become unstable?? this is always an ongoing test... If you are a racer you hope never!.. If you are a day-tripper it shouldn't even come up in discussion. and what are we talking about.. remaining straight, smooth bearings, and not failing(breaking or wobbling) = stablility

I make the comment because some of the boutique wheels that are purchased do to the name and the decals that are stuck on them, rather than actual performance. Once you've Rashed yourself because of failure. it no longer matters how a wheel looked or the name that was on it, if it cant take the stress of the road condition its really not worth the money. and no I am not saying all the high end wheels are bad!! But they certainly are all overpriced. It keeps the demand down.
    I've had 2.. count em 2.. rev-x wheels break on me at over 25 mph (no not at the same time) So I do know something of what I speak. Ive also have had wheels (several) become untrue.. or have had spokes brake on climbs during races (more a spoke and lacing problem than rim but the wheel came built that way)... So I beg the question..if someone is never really gonna put a wheel thru the paces..why should they spend that kind of money on them... If someone just wants to tool around the neighborhood.. walmart now sells 700c wheels with QR's for $75.00 ... I guess it comes down to if your gonna put 90% or less effort into cycling then you probably will or seldom experience the above mentioned problems. I only brought the matter up cuz the only bomb-proof wheel I have ever ridden on was being dismissed as crap. When, in-spite of it being a lot heavier, slower spinup, is actually a better all round wheel that the boutiques.. and will.. at speed actually be a better wheel do to the aerodynamics. Ask any long distance rider to compare em.. the wheels will cut minutes off your best time... Ive been at this a long time so I speak from experience... I thing the only other wheel than comes close is the Hed-3 tri-spoke. lighter and Ive never had a problem with them.. (used them about 2 years)
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Posted By: notrytat speed actually be a better wheel do to the aerodynamics. Ask any long distance rider to compare em.. the wheels will cut minutes off your best time

That very well may be true, but you have to remember, this person will not ever be racing on this wheel in those conditions, he will be riding around n the streets of whatever city he lives in.
    • CommentAuthorparkman14
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2011

im getting so fucking tired of these forums.
    every discussion is like thisss about aerospokes and shit.
    maybe we should ask greg to make the search bar bigger or something, haha.
    SEARCH PLZZZZZZ, kthx
    • CommentAuthorveggie

• CommentAuthorparkman14

i <3 you tyler
    • CommentAuthorveggie

• CommentAuthorparkman14

hahaha
    Bro0omance

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.