velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorTVG4292
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2009

I've heard that the Mercier bikes run big. I'm about 5'11" at 17 years old and I'm not sure which size frame to get. I also want the bike to last me through college, should I get something between 50cm to like 56cm?
    • CommentAuthorTVG4292

I've also heard the bikes direct sells knock off bikes, is that true? How would I get a true Mercier for that price?
    • CommentAuthorOtto Rax

get the 56cm if they run big, i can't verify. even from BD, it will be a true mercier, my gf got hers from them a couple years back, but it is every bit mercier
    • CommentAuthorTVG4292

How's the clearance with the pedals and the wheels? I've heard that might be an issue.
    merciers are not the originals just so you know
    they are taiwanese shop frames , that being said my main fix is a kilo tt and i love it
    • CommentAuthoradriano
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2009

these merciers share only the name with the renown french marque and are built in taiwan but are of high quality. try to ride a 56 of another frame and see how that feels. a kilo 53 will fit similarly to this, and that would be my best guess for you. i really enjoyed building up my kilo, and i couldnt be more happy with it. i hope you order up soon as i believe there will be a price hike.
    • CommentAuthorTVG4292

i just got a 53 and i love it! thanks for all your help you guys. after i switch out some of the stock parts, ill post some pics
    • CommentAuthoradriano

Posted By: TVG4292after i switch out some of the stock parts,

thats not a necessity. just put some quality miles in and enjoy yourself!
    • CommentAuthorvdubug
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2009

hmm i was thinking of getting one myself- and yea i read they do run a little bigger. i'm 6'1-6'2 but a 57 (which some forums recommend for my size) sounds a bit small. sigh. So, grab a 57 or a 60?
    • CommentAuthortstadum

Grab the 57, I am the exactly the same height as you and I ride the 57 and I love it. Should fit you perfectly.
    • CommentAuthorvdubug

excellent. tyvm sir.
    • CommentAuthorkreambeast
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2009

i'm 5'8 and I ride my friends peugeot 54 which suits me best, whats a similar size to that? will a mercier kilo tt 53 be fine? or smaller? cause i heard they run big
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

51 would be best.

and is bikedirect legit?
    • CommentAuthorjaykob

bikesdirect is legit as far as i know. a couple friends of mine have purchased complete bikes from there. although they sent one of my friends the wrong size twice in a row... so they might be morons. bikeisland.com has just the frame sets with no decals for $199 as well. i dont know of anywhere else to get mercers.
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2009

so a 53 from mercier is like a 56?
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

Posted By: kreambeastso a 53 from mercier is like a 56?
    yes.

tyvm

they dont have a 51, so a 50 would be fine right?
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2009 edited

yes, it has a 53cm st

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.