velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorfedoraroyer
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2010 edited

when i wrote this in 2010, i was 20 year old with minimum mechanic experience, defending the fact that I used to ride my Giant Boulder into town before school, and infuriated at the perceived swarm of new cyclists who had bought there way into coolness. i had never ridden a fixed gear.

you created an account to start this thread? secondly, all of this has already been said, but thank you for your concern.
    • CommentAuthorheadydude
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2010

a. not everyone who rides a fixed gear does tricks
    b. shouldn't you be "paying a shit-ton of attention" to the road anyway, brakes or not?
    c. Yes.
    d. So everyone who rides a fixed gear lives in the midwest? If I'm not mistaken, a huge part of fixed gear culture originated in San Francisco and NYC, neither of which are completely flat (the former moreso)
    e. if you want to replace tires monthly, go for it! they are fun sometimes, but not mandatory to "ride a fixie"

hoping this was a troll!

• CommentAuthorveggie

Where have you seen

Posted By: fedoraroyer'fuck fixed gear!'

on these forums?

First you say that fixie kids aren't bad because they bring more bikes onto the road, and then bash them because they are buying them to "fit in". And If you don't do tricks, don't ride a track bike, I'd like to see you say that to this guy's face:

now that i know better i can hate riders on any bike for not properly knowing how to properly ride with regards to safety.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Why am I feeding the troll? No more.
    If you find yourself adjusting derailleurs so often that it becomes "kind of a pain in the ass", then you are either a.) pitifully incompetent, or b.) in dire need of obtaining some equipment that isn't complete garbage.

Tell me....what's the point of this again?
    it then show how function beats fashion when you get to stare at the people walking their fixed up hills while you pedal up with ease.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

Posted by: Fedoraroyerheavydude: a. i wasn't implying that. i was implying that if you want to do tricks, get a fixie.

Or just get a bmx bike. A fixed gear drivetrain only limits your creativity.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

Damnit

Here's my shamelessly tautological yet perfectly valid reason...

I ride a fixed gear bicycle because the cog attaches to the hub of my bike via direct threaded interface and is secured by a counter-threaded fastener.

Do you deem this acceptable, your highness?
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Posted By: fedoraroyerAnd I never once said that the sole reason for buying a fixed-gear was tricks.

Posted By: fedoraroyerNow if you really want to ride a fixie, please have these desires in mind, otherwise there's no reason:
    a. You want to do tricks. and fixie tricks are fucking badass.
    you're asking for why there are fads. you probably won't like the answer since when a fad is over, you'll either be one of the people that drop it or cling to it. plus it's novel, doesn't that mean something? people always are intrigued by that. the fad also fits the going green if it's bikes for transportation rather than cars.

i've had a road bike for a bit and it was cool to mess around with but nobody considers my univega cool. i still like it because it's useful but there's still a bit of me that knows that people like the minimalistic look of my other bike and thus i feel like people should want me to like it more but i know i shouldn't. though spending would show more attention to the road bike for time on overhauls.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark

Anyone who uses the word fixie probably hasn't been riding one long enough to have an opinion.

fixed gear or track bike if it's a track bike.
    you forget the slang, "tarck"

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.