velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

at my group we decided to study the project of find ways to make it safe for blind people to cross in high traffic bike areas. the best that came up with is something like this that uses a Doppler effect to project and receive bounces to warn of incoming traffic. its not practical to be wearing a mini doppler radar on your head. what are some good inputs? the skill level of bikers are really poor and combined with the high traffic, blind pedestrians are so at risk for accident when crossing the street. i don't expect these n00bs, girls texting on their cruisers, weak no-toe caged fixed gear riders, walmart mountain bikers, and whatever kind of degenerate you can find on a bike, have the awareness that could avoid blind or low mobility people. so it's best to expect the worst and give blind and handicapped people means to cross themselves.
    You have to attack the problem from multiple angles at once. Taking advantage of the doppler effect is a good way to go. Lights are also important.

You could attach a noise maker to your bicycle (baseball cards in the spokes? lol). They make these great things called bells and horns, too. Also, if you're not riding fixed, the clicks from your rear wheel coasting is also loud enough for pedestrians to hear, so stop peddling when you're in an area that has a high level of pedestrian traffic.

Lights are also important because people often notice a flashing light quicker than they notice sounds. In my experience, a flashing front light alerts people much more effectively than a noise maker.
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2010 edited

Interesting assignment. How about taking the ultrasonics from a car-type back-up annuciator or from one of the new electronic "tape measures" and connecting it to a vibrator from a cell phone for the warning alarm? Either of these devices could be adjusted for a certain range.. The annunciator or sensor coupled with the vibration "alarm" would work in letting someone know there was something/someone near. You could possibly fit it to a walking stick, onto a mobile chair or a walker?

By using one or many emitters you could make it somewhat directional which is something that would be somewhat more difficult with the radar. Which just gave me another idea;
    HotWheels has a hand held radar out that is used for checking HotWheels cars AND normal cars speeds. You could use something like that which IS directional and may be modified to increase a vibration dependent upon the speed or proximity of the object.
    So wait... Are you trying to make something for your bike that will alert blind people, or are you trying to make something so blind people can detect when something is going to run into them? I thought they had dogs and canes for that sort of thing.
    we need the blind people to know when the bikes are coming since the skill of bikers here should never be overestimated. blind people cannot see lights. the range of hotwheels hand held radar might not have a wide enough range to cover the street. plus there are two directions that the radar needs to be used at.
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit

Actually the HotWheels radar gun is useful for blocks.. Fun to make radar detectors go red at interstate speeds too.... (not that I've done that)
    I ride a retired Kawasaki Police Interceptor : )
    that simple? don't we have to repackage it or something, a toy cannot be used officially to warn blind pedestrians or they will be made fun of.
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2010

I was talking about pulling the guts out and repackaging.. with the alarm being a vibrator from a cell phone. I think though that the ultrasonic sensors used in the tape measure or backup sensor would be better though and wouldn't set off any radar detectors. The vibrations such that they would increase with proximity to object.
    • CommentAuthorJameson_C

What about bike whistles like the deer whistels you put on your car. The blind people will hear them and not cross. Why is a blind person grossing the street anyways without having someone help them?
    • CommentAuthorveggie

I'm pretty sure this is why they have dogs.

• CommentAuthorRuffinit

Put the doppler helmet on the dog!
    • CommentAuthorveggie

That dog needs a stormtrooper helmet
    Blind people can't see lights... Riiiiiight. LOL man, I made such a dumb suggestion!

You could easily and cheaply hack together something using some sonar sensors, a micro-controller, and a speaker. Just program the micro-controller to make the speaker beep if the sonar sensor detects that something is coming at it. You could then attach the sensor to the blind person (or their cane or something). I guess this idea is similar to the radar gun, only probably cheaper to execute. You'll need someone with enough software engineering skills to program the micro-controller though. Heck, if you wanted to, you could use a lego mindstorm kit and make this sort of thing.

I agree with Jemeson_C. Blind people would have guide dogs or canes, or at least someone with them. They stick that cane out into the bike path... Well, the bikers, regardless of skill level, will jump out of the way. The dog isn't going to let a blind person walk into on-coming bikes anyway.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Posted By: veggieThat dog needs a stormtrooper helmet

Posted By: flyingrobotsHeck, if you wanted to, you could use a lego mindstorm kit and make this sort of thing.

I remember my great-grandmother gave me 200 dollars cash to buy one of those when I was like 10 or 11, that was awesome.
    Posted By: veggieI remember my great-grandmother gave me 200 dollars cash to buy one of those when I was like 10 or 11, that was awesome.
    Sweet man, what'd you make with it?
    • CommentAuthorveggie

I remember I worked FOREVER getting some sort of rack and pinion steering to work, I even went as far as buying a technics backhoe and copying the steering from that.
    • CommentAuthorjdiamond

no shit though, i SERIOUSLY almost got fucked up the other day by a blind guys stick thing. they are so damn long its dangerous for real! like 3 days ago, not even. im riding in downtown des moines close to where i live and i go to take a right hand turn probably doing like 20mph and i didnt see anyone on the corner at all and as im turning i hear a loud ping ping ping and i almost ate concrete sooooo hard. but anyway this blind dude i guess just comes around this building and waves that damn thing in the road to see if its clear and it hits my front spokes and really gave me a scare and i look back and he's freaking out and the first thing that comes out of his mouth is fuck you. im thinking really dude, FUCK YOU. i didnt do anything. dont wave your dumb ass little stick everywhere and expect not to ever hit anything, blind people are assholes
    • CommentAuthorncecchi

Posted By: jdiamond blind people are assholes

tell us how you really feel.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

You all are approaching this problem wrong. Bionic eyes. Problem solved.
    • CommentAuthorncecchi

bam. problem solved.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.