velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

the skate park near my place seems to not welcome bikes as much. there seems to be rivalry between bikes and skateboarders and rollerskaters/bladers. in the cycling world, what is the pecking order of triathletes, cyclocross, mountain bikers, roadies, track, and whatever else categories there are? as a commuter, i am able to brush any sort of rivalry off as i'm only traveling between distances on the vehicle. As a sport however, I get the feeling of slight embarrassment when i'm on light trails and either mountain bikers or cyclocross riders come by with their offroad tires. I get told to get back to the pavement.
    i would assume riders on the same terrains would favor each other like mountain bikers and cyclocross. since they are probably the closest to being each other, like roadies and tri-athletes could be friends. Where is the divide, offroaders vs. paved?
    • CommentAuthordeermatt
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2010

you mean, you tried taking your fixed gear bike to the skatepark ? Just wanted to make sure I read it correctly..
    • CommentAuthortimmy240

I've noticed that there's no pecking order if you've got skill. As soon as you can prove that you can keep up with the guys in the group, you're good as long as you've got a good attitude. I've personally experienced that friendliness is the best way to go about things. Even though I was a novice, I kept up with competitive cyclocross and mountain riders on my local trails and they respected the hell outta me, especially when they started talking to me and realized how in love I was with the sport!
    Ok fine, if you're riding your fixed gear on a real trail with your 28c slicks, you're going to be either slow or going totally out of control straight into a fallen tree. Either way, if I were, you know, actually taking the trail riding seriously, I would tell you to use the right tool for the job. Then I would make sure to pass you and not look back, lest you crash your out of control ass into me. Ok?
    Posted By: suicide_doorsriding your fixed gear on a real trail with your 28c slicks
    i agree, i hate those guys. they think fixed is a way of life or something. as different situations arise, the ingenuity of gears will prove itself. being a true minimalist is an art more than being practical and since they're out their for sport, being practical is everything.
    it's not about keeping up, it's that i go and see strangers and they're like with a stare that says, "ppshhhh, get your roadie ass back to the road".
    • CommentAuthorveggie

hmm
    • CommentAuthorAaron C
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2010 edited

as a group i have experienced mountain bikers to be far friendlier and open minded to different riding styles, ability level, rig setups, and equipment level.. as long as you are not a selfish trail hog or a prick. i think you get more of the "I do this for fun"/"do you want to go out for a beer afterwards"/"dude, that was a sick line" demographic.

obviously if you put yourself and others in danger people will look down their nose at you.
    Posted By: lickedwickedthe skate park near my place seems to not welcome bikes as much. there seems to be rivalry between bikes and skateboarders and rollerskaters/bladers. in the cycling world, what is the pecking order of triathletes, cyclocross, mountain bikers, roadies, track, and whatever else categories there are? as a commuter, i am able to brush any sort of rivalry off as i'm only traveling between distances on the vehicle. As a sport however, I get the feeling of slight embarrassment when i'm on light trails and either mountain bikers or cyclocross riders come by with their offroad tires. I get told to get back to the pavement.

The reason skateboarders (and I'm speaking as one) tend to be so unwelcoming at skateparks is because those parks are the results of hard won victories that came about just in the past decade. They followed many years of municipal bans that resulted in practically no places to skate without being hassled by cops. Here in Chicago, for example, skateboarding is the only human powered vehicle (for lack of a better term) that is explicitly banned by law from use anywhere in the downtown area. No joke. This isn't to condone anybody's bad behavior, but rather to illustrate why they might tend to be so protective of something.

As far as other cyclists are concerned, I get a lot of flack from many. It seems to be focused on my choice of equipment more than anything. It would seem that certain cyclists can be a bunch of pretentious, consumption-centric little shits regardless of their chosen discipline. Thankfully this doesn't seem true of the entire lot.
    Posted By: Michael PerzThe reason skateboarders (and I'm speaking as one) tend to be so unwelcoming at skateparks is because those parks are the results of hard won victories that came about just in the past decade.
    I see what you mean, but I thought it was because, from the skateboarder's perspective, the "other guys" (inliners, bmx, razor scootz) are always "in the way", whether they are standing around on ramps and other obstacles, or simply because their sport demands that they take a different line through the skate park. Nothing sucks more than running into some other guy, no matter what you're riding. I've seen loads of injuries at the skate park resulting from collisions between people of different X-TREME disciplines.
    • CommentAuthormeatman

Posted By: flyingrobotsX-TREME disciplines.

hahaha.... i'm sorry, I had to laugh at that
    • CommentAuthorChilvers

Im not sorry, that was funny. Also.. 'skate'park, bikers ruin all the fun at a SKATEboarding park.
    • CommentAuthorheadydude
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2010 edited

Where are you guys living that people are telling you to "get your roadie ass back to the road?" Just last night I was riding on Kelly Drive and passed a guy in a full kit on a mountain bike, I'm on my road bike and so naturally I go by at a good clip, thinking I'm gone. I'm pulling pretty hard and I look back and, surprise, there's the guy right in my draft. He yells up, "thanks for the pull man, I really appreciate it!" We got stopped at a light and even chatted for a few minutes about our setups. I've never seen this "Bikerarchy" you're talking about, at least in Philly.

edit: Can't comment on what goes on at Love park, FDR etc. Not places I frequent.
    • CommentAuthordeermatt

Posted By: deermattyou mean, you tried taking your fixed gear bike to the skatepark ? Just wanted to make sure I read it correctly..
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

Ok, I'll bite. The reason why fixed gear riders get made fun of by everyone else is because:

1) Fixed gear riders are perceived as being rude
    2) Fixed gear riders tend to ride erratically
    3) Fixed gear riding is largely fashion
    4) Fixed gear riders are more likely to think that their type of riding/bike is better than everything else

I own and ride a fixed gear bike so its not like Im just trying to hate on everyone. Seriously though, fixed gear specific riders (dont also ride road/mtn/etc) tend to be the biggest pricks on the road. Its a get what you give sort of thing.

I'll ride with anyone on any rideable surface as long as they are friendly and dont jeopardize my safety. Even rollerbladers.

In Santa Cruz they have a skatepark and a bike park. It makes a lot of sense. They use the parks differently, it prevents collisions and the resulting conflicts.
    • CommentAuthorBen Hittle

Posted By: ChilversAlso.. 'skate'park, bikers ruin all the fun at a SKATEboarding park.

You're an idiot. Everyone rides the same terrain, get over yourself.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Posted By: wes m.Seriously though, fixed gear specific riders (dont also ride road/mtn/etc) tend to be the biggest pricks on the road

I have a semi related story. I did a moonlight bike ride this weekend downtown with a few of my friends(most of whom don't ride much). I rode my tandem with a friend of mine and let my friend borrow my rush. I put risers on it, a freewheel, lowered the gearing and put some platforms on it. As we were riding about 3 miles into it, some hipster looking guy on a mash rode up beside her and asked her if she was riding fixed. when she said no he said, "oh", in a very disgusted tone and sped off with his other hipster buddy. Later on in the night another hipster looking dude cut my friend and I off on the tandem and kept swerving across the road, not cool. I also got roped into fixing a lot of things on that ride too, just because I was fixing someones bike and they came up with a problem.
    • CommentAuthorncecchi

wow veggie, you are really nice to your friends if you change all that shit out for someone.

skate park pecking order: whoever has been waiting to drop the longest, simple, doesn't matter what you are riding. And yeah, i am a big proponent of separate bike and skate parks, but that can't always happen.

I do find though that if i've been riding my skateboard around and switch out to my fixie to rip bowls on or something then i get much less shit from the other skaters.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.