velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorradfriends
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2010

So as of now I have two sets of wheels but I want to scale it back to one. I have the cane creek track vs as well as cxp 12s laced to suntour superbe pros and I think I want to sell the cane creeks. The problem I am having is I want one set to do everything from racing to commuting. The commuting will include riding in the rain and that makes me a bit nervous with the suntours. I am curious as to what you guys think.

Thanks.
    The Cane Creek's are both more resistant to water because of the sealed bearings, but would also be more suited for track racing, due to higher spoke tension creating a stiffer wheel, lighter weight, bladed spokes.

If it's an aesthetic decision for you because the Suntour's match your build better… then the above statement does not matter to you I guess. However, I've ridden Cane Creek wheels, and have a few friends that do also… and they perform very well on the track and also as a bulletproof wheelset on the street.
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2010

I agree with the statment about them being stiffer and I have yet to weigh them but the mavics feel a lot lighter in my hand and my front wheel has razor sharp bladed spokes. I also read a thing about the later suntour models being sealed as well, which is what I have. My frame is very very stiff already so on the road I would not mind a less stiff wheelset. I was just curious if anyone on here had experience using these hubs in the rain and how they would hold up over time. Also a mechanic told me that the can creeks are very hard if not impossible to true.

thanks for your input man, anything helps a lot.
    Cane Creeks are not hard to true. They just take a special wrench and reading a tiny blip on their website on how to true them since they function slightly different. They are actually easier, IMO.

I rode unsealed DA hubs all winter. You just need to repack them once in awhile and don't let your bike just sit in the rain.
    How do you true Cane Creek's "Nipples At The Hub" Wheels?

Our Track Wheels with patented "Nipples At The Hub" are designed to stay true longer than the best-built wire-spoked wheels. This is because of the straight spokes (no elbow bends), high uniform spoke tension, and Nylock-reinforced nipples (which secure the threads).

But if truing adjustments become necessary, it's a simple job. A 3/16-inch open-end wrench (included with each wheelset) turns the nipples in much the same way as a conventional wheel—only at the hub. The hex nipples won't round out. And because of the fewer spokes, simpler crossing patterns, and higher tension, our wheels are actually easier and faster to true. Effectively, you get more impact with every turn of the spoke wrench.

There is a little learning curve to it, but truing a Cane Creek wheel is intuitive and ultimately quicker than dealing with a conventional spoked wheel. One other thing about that 3/16-inch wrench: It's common in U.S. hardware and auto-parts stores (same size as an ignition wrench).
    Actually, the wheels you got where from deermatt, right? Those are some killer wheels actually and I think they really are lighter than the CC's.

I guess it depends on your build really and what goes better on your bike. Both wheelsets are totally awesome.
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2010

Yeah I did get them from him. So you think they would be a good all around wheel as I mentioned above? That write up above about the cane creeks was really helpful man. Thanks for your posts.

Oops I just realized my last comment was pointless. I will be riding them on my rush hour pro that's on my profile. I have ridden them the past few days and they feel really amazing! My bike feels way more comforable and rolls a lot smoother now. So I guess the test of time will tell me how it will go.
    • CommentAuthorjesmerl

cane creek wheels are the worst track wheels i have ever ridden in my life. the hubs look way too cool, they are was too stiff, they take pot hole hits way too well.

I ride my track Vs on the street and at the track with some fat gatorskin tires 28c i feel that i keep up with every one. i see people riding zipps getting passed buy kids on velocities. its all about the rider.

ride what ever you prefer. both are quality if you take care of them a little bit
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Posted By: jesmerlcane creek wheels are the worst track wheels i have ever ridden in my life. the hubs look way too cool, they are was too stiff, they take pot hole hits way too well.

That doesn't attest to their track worthiness, just their street worthiness.
    Posted By: jesmerli see people riding zipps getting passed buy kids on velocities. its all about the rider

Perhaps the people that you see riding on Zipps (or whatever) might not be looking to race every second of every moment they're out? Maybe they're just training or out on a recovery ride? Just a thought.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Posted By: jesmerli see people riding zipps getting passed buy kids on velocities. its all about the rider.

Thats only fair if both riders are riding "sweet fixies"
    • CommentAuthordeermatt

Posted By: Michael Perz
    Posted By: jesmerli see people riding zipps getting passed buy kids on velocities. its all about the rider

Perhaps the people that you see riding on Zipps (or whatever) might not be looking to race every second of every moment they're out? Maybe they're just training or out on a recovery ride? Just a thought.

I think he was referring to track races . I've seen it to , but so what.

In reality , either of these wheelsets would work fine for the street and / or the track.
    • CommentAuthorper.k
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2010 edited

You mean I'm o.k., just the way I am?!
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2010

Thanks for the help guys.
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2010

Posted By: terrible_one49I rode unsealed DA hubs all winter. You just need to repack them once in awhile and don't let your bike just sit in the rain.
    I wouldn't hesitate in the slightest to ride the Suntours in all types of weather. Just keep the maintenance up on them. Pack them based upon the amount of water you ride in. They'll last a long time. Sealed bearings were and are intended for maximum use with minimal maintenance.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.