velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

I cant realy find the anser, i have been looking at other topics and they are either for different styles of riding or they just go way off topic as usual.

Im having trouble still with finding the perfect pedal,shoe,stap and clip combo for my fixed gear, also still struggle with skids(never improoved since i figured it out) and using my front foot to help slow me down.

So just wondering what other people are riding and why?

(i only ride clips)

Clipless or straps?
    for regualr pedals Mks Sylvans to Toshi double straps with steel cages are the best bet, that was how I rode for 3 years, 2 years on the same Toshi straps and they last forever! For this youll have to wear shoes that arent too bulky Im a size 9 and wore Vans Authentic and used Soma large cages.
    Now I started riding clipless with Shimano M520 with my Diadora Jalapeno so far its great.
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2010

Clipless is the way to go

Benson, you are lucky usps wouldn't send those pedals, I really don't think they are that great. How much did you get 'em for?
    • CommentAuthorAaron C

Im still a great big fan of the MKS GR-9 pedals. if you have problems with handling toe overlap they may not be for you (they are a bit longer than sylvans for example), but they feel much better in street shoes than sylvans.

on long rides sylvans always end up feeling like little razor blades digging into my feet.
    Veggie thanks for helping out when you could have much appreciated! I got my pedals for $40 dollars
    I picked up skidding after a few days of riding. But it took forever for my friend to. Everyone's different, try to learn on some wet pavement, its really easy to skid on and should give you a general idea on I guess how to go about it. After I learned how to skid though I couldn't stop and burned through tires like crazy. Not worth it and expensive but good to know in case you really have to. Now I hardly ever skid unless I really have to or for the ladies meow (lame). Anyway I learned on a very basic set up of MKS sylvans, MKS cages, and christophe single straps. I still use sylvans because well they're an awesome pedal especially for the price, but I switched to double straps and cages to try em out, they're....okay?. Just make sure your straps are nice and tight and you should be fine. You're gearing might be too high for you also but I dunno. I learned on. 48x16 gearing. When I got my first fixed gear 2 years ago, the first thing I did was go out behind my apartment complex and tried to learn how to skid, I got the general jist of it after a few hours, it takes some time. Some longer than others but you'll get it.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

We should probably focus on the root issue: there is a technique problem. It doesnt matter what pedals you have, if you are using poor technique for your skids you will hurt yourself.

MKS gr-9s, 4 gate plastic clips, and double straps are my go to pedal combo for non-clipless riding.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Posted By: bensonisajewI got my pedals for $40 dollars

With cleats?
    Cleats included!
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Good deal, the cleats for those welgos are like 20 on BI.
    • CommentAuthordeathpull
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2010 edited

I presume you are trying to skid on your fuji classic right? The 54 has a 73 degree seat tube angle which will put you quite far behind your bottom bracket. If you get a zero set back seat post and move the saddle forward you will get more of an aggressive position, redistributing your weight further to the front. This will allow you to unweight the back wheel more easily(skidding) from a close to seated position. the pedals don't matter so much if your weighting is correct.

oh yeah all this will blow your knees to shreds.

Track riding is short and explosive so 0 setback is fine but for every day riding go with a proper road style bb setback(you most likely have already).
    For me, skidding is mostly in resisting the pedal (the other foot doesn't seem to matter much) when its somewhere between 10 and 12 o'clock (drive side) and the positioning of your hips (less weight in the back = easier skidding). It took me forever to figure it out on my conversion but I eventually had an "ah ha!" moment where it all just made sense.

I like my MKS GR-9 pedals, though I don't think you'll notice you huge difference going between pedals. Most (99%ish) of it is in your technique.
    More about the actualy pedals please.

I think what i want/need is adidas sambas, mks sylvan pedals, double strap metal clip, double straps, shal i do that? i cant realy se a better option.

But if people have more good tips for skidding propaly i will listen, more i know the better i spose'...
    oh and style of shoe! i would of thort less pedding tounge with a stiff sole is best?
    • CommentAuthorLegislator
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2010

I have a sweet technique for skidding. Its called a brake, locks up the wheel via friction and is easily actuated by a cable and lever, which conveniently enough mounts right next to my grip, also it saves my knees. I liked that brake so much, I added 3 more. Shimano PD MX-15 pedals are badass, huge, flat and you can still mount toe clips, they are one of the best pedals ever made in my opinion.
    first of all @Legislator, 4 brakes FTW. How bling are all those levers on your bars? Ladies love levers, my ol' pa always said. GR-9's with Soma 4x gates and Plemons do me just fine. I ride with shelltoes right now, but your choice of footwear for the bike is the same as off the bike; FASHION. I tend to think of skidding as something of a moving trackstand, at least the position of my feet and legs are almost the same as shifting my movement from forwards to backwards.
    • CommentAuthorAaron C

Posted By: joelovesfudgeyMore about the actualy pedals please.

I think what i want/need is adidas sambas, mks sylvan pedals, double strap metal clip, double straps, shal i do that? i cant realy se a better option.

But if people have more good tips for skidding propaly i will listen, more i know the better i spose'...

are you sure you're not just trolling us?
    • CommentAuthorAaron C
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2010 edited

Posted By: joelovesfudgeyi cant realy se a better option.

then why ask?
    Sylvan pedals…Soma Quad Gate cages… Toshi Double straps. Invest in good straps, because basically you're life in depending on them to stop. Don't be cheap when it comes to straps.

Shoes are important. You want something probably with no laces or high laces, stiff sole and fairly narrow. I rode Adidas and they were better than Vans slip ons, for sure. Check out Chrome shoes. There are many companies jumping on the "fixie" shoes trend, and you have many option for shoes designed for riding fixed gear bikes.

Don't go to clipless. You're clearly not even close to experienced enough. Learn with cages first.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

As much as I hate to admit it I like the chrome shoes. Just make sure you try them on before buying because they run crazy big.

\

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.

velospace | About | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | contact | blog | status | site map | ©ActionHub.com
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.