velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorpolitburo
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2010

Just thought I would share this because I searched for a long time for some decals for my project and really couldnt find anything nice... until this guy.

http://stores.ebay.com/cyclomondo

He makes a bunch of high quality replacement decals for vintage makes and models, as well as tubing decals. I ordered a 531 decal and a set of 70s Gitane decals, will report back when I get them.
    • CommentAuthorquidose

Posted By: Aldous Huxtablethere's a guy with an ebay store, Cyclomondo, i believe, or Cyclemondo, and he has a huge collection of replica decals that he makes and sells on there. i bought a set of them for my viner pista and they look GREAT, i also got a set of vintage columbus tubing decals for that bike. you can see it on my profile. he's in australia i believe.
    Yeah, we've had several discussions about him. Dude is pretty aggro by the sound of things.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

Is this the guy who is supposed to be the soup nazi of bike decals?
    • CommentAuthorpolitburo

oops. sorry, should have searched first. rookie move.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

I got the tubing decals for my de bernardi from him. Included a nice full page instruction sheet.
    Posted By: wes m.Is this the guy who is supposed to be the soup nazi of bike decals?

Yes, the very one.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2010 edited

Posted By: suicide_doors
    Posted By: wes m.Is this the guy who is supposed to be the soup nazi of bike decals?

Yes, the very one.

The guy's name is Greg Softly, he's in Australia (near Sydney, I think), and from what I've heard, he does excellent work. TTBOMK, he deals in retro-stuff almost exclusively; he's well-regarded on the CR list, where pickiness on retro-issues is central to cultural identity. Being an occasional poster on that list doesn't hurt his standing; he's not the craziest, not the pissiest, not the most irascible member of the group by a long shot...

I've never bought anything from him, but I've certainly considered it; he has several Raleigh and Bianchi items that would finish off bikes of mine, and there are fake-French bits that would help as well. I had one email exchange with him regarding my '80s Bianchi. He didn't answer my first email, but did answer my second with perfect civility - and asked several informed questions about the project.

There are certainly other sources for retro decals.

H Lloyd (Penrith, northern England) is the decal granddaddy, or so they claim. Ordering online from them is tricky, because they don't publish images of all their items; I'm not really sure how you're supposed to know if they look right, beyond having a lot of model-specific knowledge going in. Very heavily weighted towards English brands; much skimpier pickings for everything else. They don't sell decal sets, only a la carte; you have to order all the bits you need individually, assuming you know what they are.

VeloGraphic (San Leandro, Northern CA) Is run by a graphic artist (mswantak) who's a regular poster on BikeForums. In addition to producing decals to order, he'll generate new Illustrator files to create those decals without charge, if he doesn't already have a design. I haven't spoken with him yet, but I'm planning to, since he's within 20 miles of me and his prices are good.

VeloCals (Orange County, Southern California) is another online retailer. The collection seems to be a bit scattershot; there's lots of off-brands listed, but they don't always have inventory.
    • CommentAuthorpeterabbit

About cyclomondo decals... I bought some for my Colnago Super and sort of regret it. The quality wasn't exactly what I expected, but when I went back and re-read his description I realized I got what I payed for. I expected the vinyl to be a lot thinner than it actually was, but I didn't exactly go the the library and look up the specs on the vinyl he used before I shelled out $50 for some stickers.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: peterabbitAbout cyclomondo decals... I bought some for my Colnago Super and sort of regret it. The quality wasn't exactly what I expected, but when I went back and re-read his description I realized I got what I payed for. I expected the vinyl to be a lot thinner than it actually was, but I didn't exactly go the the library and look up the specs on the vinyl he used before I shelled out $50 for some stickers.

When did you get them? From comments I've read on various forums, his early work was underwhelming. His current work is supposed to be a lot better.
    • CommentAuthorayyyyy

I've bought some Peugeot decals from him, for an old uo-8 resto. Super easy to apply and, if you clear coat over them, they look just about original.

I've heard he does custom work too, but the one time I inquired about it he didn't respond.
    I purchased a set of Colnago decals from Cyclemondo. The decals themselves are fine quality - but the graphic work was not great. The letters were poorly reproduced and wonky, and the printing had pixelated edges on some of the logo work. Color was fine.

I am a graphic designer - so I these things scream out to me. I am not saying all his decals are like that. I was hoping to save some production cost - but I ended up creating vector files and will produce on my own - up to my personal standards.

I never brought this up with him. Not worth the hassle and the cost of sending back to Australia. Other people seem to think he has a great product.
    • CommentAuthorlatron
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2010

Posted By: eaglerockThe guy's name is Greg Softly, he's in Australia (near Sydney, I think), and from what I've heard, he does excellent work.

Got a full set of pre-TI 531 decals, no complaints at all.

Posted By: eaglerockVeloCals(Orange County, Southern California) is another online retailer. The collection seems to be a bit scattershot; there's lots of off-brands listed, but they don't always have inventory.

Obtained Trek decals from them. Courteous and quick transaction, worked perfectly,
    • CommentAuthorgridplan
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2010 edited

Posted By: studiomaximusI purchased a set of Colnago decals from Cyclemondo. The decals themselves are fine quality - but the graphic work was not great. The letters were poorly reproduced and wonky, and the printing had pixelated edges on some of the logo work. Color was fine.

My only experience with buying from Greg was some Fiamme rim decals I got from him a couple of years ago. The graphics were true to the ones on other Fiammes I had. My only gripe was that the sticker itself was thicker than the original. The thickness alone made it obvious they were replacements.

As for pixelated graphics, I can't imagine your Colnago decals are worse than the dot matrix decals that came back on a bike that I waited a year for a restorer to finish. NOTE: The following is NOT one of cyclomondo's decals.

Pixelated Galmozzi decal
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2010

As we're talking about decals, remember that for the older Cannondale models; VintageCannondale sells them for a very reasonable price and the quality is above par. You can see an example on my '88 ST700.
    • CommentAuthorjet sanchEz
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2010 edited

My Ciocc has Cyclomondo decals on it and I have no problems with his work at all and the delivery was very quick.

I think calling him the "decal nazi" is a little silly; the number of emails he must get on a daily basis from every freshman in America regarding Schwinn Varsity decals for an effin' sweet conversion must be staggering, you'd lose your patience now and then too.
    • CommentAuthorabstrait
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2010 edited

Well, I was considering Cyclomondo Colnago Super decals in the white panels, that is, until I looked a bit closer and realized his typography was off in a few places, the most offensive being his "C" and "G", especially on the seat tube decal. When I offered to submit detailed high-res photos of the decals in-order to get the correct result, he fired back that he "had no time for custom work." I found this really ironic since this was actually anything but custom work, this being one of the most common decals to need replacement since Colnago pumped out a slew of these beasts with every one using decals on top of the last coat. Indeed, almost every Colnago decal from this era has some form of damage and the samples I could find from him had letters that were noticeably off from the original. It would not be quite so bothersome if Greg did not specify in no uncertain terms that these were the best reproductions out there, unlike other imitations, and were no different from the originals.

Before you scrap your originals, make sure you do a careful comparison between them and the potential replacement. It just might not be as close as you hope.

- kh
    • CommentAuthorColumbusSLX
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2011 edited

Posted By: studiomaximusI purchased a set of Colnago decals from Cyclemondo. The decals themselves are fine quality - but the graphic work was not great. The letters were poorly reproduced and wonky, and the printing had pixelated edges on some of the logo work. Color was fine.

I am a graphic designer - so I these things scream out to me. I am not saying all his decals are like that. I was hoping to save some production cost - but I ended up creating vector files and will produce on my own - up to my personal standards.

Reviving the thread to add some more info. I too am a graphic designer and sent Greg (Cyclomondo) $50 for some De Rosa decals for an '89 I'm restoring. Well, he's a nice enough guy but the artwork was lousy. He just used Cooper Black, and squashed it a bit. I have my red De Rosa to compare it to, and the size of each decal was off by a lot as well. I had to ditch them as he won't respond to my 'return' inquiries.

Then, I created my own vector artwork and sent it to JR at Velocals. He is awesome. Professional, detail-oriented, and at the same price point. And unlike Greg he answers your emails and questions promptly. He takes a few weeks to get it done but it was worth every minute of waiting.

Also, his printing system is higher-resolution. Greg's has some jaggies around the smaller text (i.e. the Columbus stickers), while JR's is very smooth.
    • CommentAuthorabstrait
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2011

Indeed. I'm always amazed when people talk of the decals from Cyclomondo as being spot on and just like the original. I guess it depends on how particular you are, your eye for detail, and perhaps the decal in question. On the other hand, I've now seen enough samples to know that it's not close enough for me. I dont know him personally and have only shared a few mails but know there are guys on North America that I would trust for a reproduction more close to the original, if NOT the original. Some of the better guys only source the good stuff if allowed to do the paint work, too.

Nice to know that Velocals is a good option if you have your own art work. Have never seen his stuff up close.

- kh
    • CommentAuthorCeya
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2011

Post pics of these errors and some of the ones you chose state side.

Columbus SLX did you try contacting DeRosa for the decals?

S/F,
    CEYA!

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.