velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorGordonpn
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2010

I'm looking for a new chainring because my stock one is garbage. Some spots are really loose and some spots are really tight. I know a chainring can't be a perfect circle, nothing can, but my chainring is bad.
    So I was just wondering what are some good chainrings out there that have a good value to price ratio? Nothing too expensive, so Sugino Zen Track chainrings are out of the picture. I'll maybe spend 80$ max.

Thank you for reading.
    • CommentAuthordeermatt

browse ebay for sugino rings (sugino 75 , s-cubic) or shimano dura ace rings . When theyre lightly used on ebay, you can score them for around 40-50 bucks. FSA rings are usually cheap, but IMO, the sugino and shimano rings have a much better tooth profile than FSA.
    Posted By: deermattbrowse ebay for sugino rings (sugino 75 , s-cubic) or shimano dura ace rings . When theyre lightly used on ebay, you can score them for around 40-50 bucks. FSA rings are usually cheap, but IMO, the sugino and shimano rings have a much better tooth profile than FSA.

lmao. Multiple national titles have been won on cheap FSA rings.

http://www.fixedgearfever.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3400&start=0
    • CommentAuthordeermatt

yeah ? the tooth profile still is terrible. If there was a dura ace ring , and a fsa ring both for 40 dollars, Id take the dura ace hands down , and not because its a dura ace.
    Another vote for SUGINO 75 rings, or finding a used ZEN chainring.
    • CommentAuthormeatman

I'm riding an All-City right now. it's not the best in the world, but it's really heavy duty. got it for like 45 at a bike shop, so you could probably find one online cheaper
    • CommentAuthoralbieish
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2010 edited

I suppose since nobody else has had the common sense to ask what crankset you have, I'll ask.

If you have a 130BCD crankset(Sugino RD2, FSA Vero, etc.), go with Sugino or TA Specialties (they run around $50 dollars.)
    If you have a 144BCD crankset (Sugino 75, Dura Ace, etc.), go with Sugino, Dura Ace, FSA, Campagnolo, or whatever (they're all farily good.)

I doubt that you are completely worried about winning national titles, so your chain tension isn't going to be the end of the world.
    Go with an origin 8 chainring. $20 at your lbs. I doubt you'll notice much of a difference between it and $120 ring. You can buy an omnium chainring on eBay for $20. They come on sram omnium cranksets and they're pretty meaty, but I sold mine for $15 on c list :o

If you're bending rings you should probably check your chainline and chainring bolts.
    I was also wondering on those FSA pro track rings too since I cannot afford me a Zen at the moment I would like a better ring than my damn Omnium.
    • CommentAuthorStrubb

Origin 8 chain rings are not worth 20 dollars, Ive got one and its the worst, the loose sports are tremendous!
    I hear the older ones (FSA) sucked donkey balls but they're now manufactured quite nicely and for the price are well worth it. What's wrong with your omnium ring? They look comparatively meaty compared to my Zen ring, however I didn't use it :/

Really? I had one (origin 8) on my bianchi pista (back when I had it) and it seemed fine, using it everyday for 13 miles. Maybe they're hit or miss....
    They are beefy but do not run as smooth as the day I got it they arent as round anymore and I get them annoying loose spots.
    I think T_O49 can back me up on that.
    • CommentAuthorquidose

Posted By: bensonisajewThey are beefy but do not run as smooth as the day I got it they arent as round anymore and I get them annoying loose spots.
    I think T_O49 can back me up on that.

I've had 3 sets of Omniums with different manufacture dates and every ring has run smoother and quieter with more miles and as the anodization on the teeth wears down.

With that said, S75 rings are of excellent quality.
    • CommentAuthorStrubb

I'm sure they are hit and miss and we have around the same length commute, but after this one I'm done with origin 8
    • CommentAuthorquidose

Posted By: StrubbOrigin 8 chain rings are not worth 20 dollars, Ive got one and its the worst, the loose sports are tremendous!

Agreed. I got one for free, and it's not even really worth the flat space it takes up.
    anyone have experience with Miche Advanced chainrings?
    • CommentAuthormeatman
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2010

Posted By: alex aka freshanyone have experience with Miche Advanced chainrings?

I had one before my All-City. About the same price and honestly I can't really tell a difference between the 2. The major difference is that big fucking ugly branding around the Miche. Call me crazy, but I like plain, logo-less shit. just my steeze
    Posted By: deermattyeah ? the tooth profile still is terrible. If there was a dura ace ring , and a fsa ring both for 40 dollars, Id take the dura ace hands down , and not because its a dura ace.

The day you have to worry about stuff like tooth profile is the day you're in the finals of the wc match sprint.
    Nobody likes their bike sounding like a chainsaw, or their chain not engaging smoothly. Therefore, some people DO care about tooth profile. Take a look on the tooth profile of Surly cogsā€¦ ACK! They are like little square boxes, and run like hell with most chains.

Personally, I don't notice a difference in tooth profile between Sugino 75's and ZEN. Both run just as good to me, but I prefer the simple round style of the ZEN and they seem to retain their roundness better.

I've rode cheap $20 chainrings before, and they have so much flex that they creak under hard pedaling. I don't suggest any cheap rings.

The Omnium chainrings have a poor tooth profile also. At first they run horrible, but eventually smooth out abit. I ditched mine the first week I got it. They can be picked up for cheap. At least they are thick and stiff, I guess.
    Posted By: GordonpnI know a chainring can't be a perfect circle, nothing can, but my chainring is bad.

This isn't completely true. There are two methods to producing chainrings; one is to punch them out with a die (cheap process) and the other is to mill them to shape (expensive process). Chainrings that are punched out will have a tendency to be slightly out-of-round because the stock is slightly distorted in the process. Chainrings produced by milling will be as perfectly round as can be reasonably accepted as such; within thousandths of an inch or less.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.