velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorAsspuque
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2010 edited

It's finally time to take away my forum v-card, and I figured I could start with a classic: Let's see those measurements at the widest part of each your thighs, in centimeters (for continuity's sake). For friendly competition, for self-improvement, for what ever.
    I'll start it off:
    Right - 57.5 cm
    Left - 56.5 cm.

Damn my non-ambidexterity!
    Well, I hate to brag, but mine are over 9000, sooooo....
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: AsspuqueIt's finally time to take away my forum v-card, and I figured I could start with a classic: Let's see those measurements at the widest part of each your thighs, in centimeters (for continuity's sake). For friendly competition, for self-improvement, for what ever.
    I'll start it off:
    Right - 57.5 cm
    Left - 56.5 cm.

I think you mean circumference, not diameter. Otherwise, you're either 14 feet tall or an enormous lardass. If your right thigh is 57.5cm across the muscle (diameter), then the distance around the muscle (circumference) is about 181cm - 6 feet.

Diameter isn't a very meaningful term for a human thigh anyway, since the thigh is not a cylinder; depending on where you measure across the muscle, you'll get a wide range of numbers. And remember your geometry: Circumference = π (diameter).

Left: 59cm
    Right: 56cm (I'm right-handed, so that makes sense)
    This thread sounds dirty.
    Left: 58 cm
    Right: 56 cm

Why does it make sense that the right would be smaller if you're right handed? I am, too, but I feel like I slightly favor my left leg only due to my right knee being more injury-prone.

(Edit: I'm also 175cm tall and, coincidentally, 175 lbs. Or 80 kilos, since we're being all metric about it.)
    I guess its leverage when you hold bars? Notice when holding my bars with my right hand Ill use my left leg to mash down on pedal I dont know. My right calf is bigger than my left, thats due to skateboarding. I shall measure my legs later.
    • CommentAuthorWilliam3000

Body weight and height should also be a factor.

height: 175cm
    weight: last time I checked 57kg
    Aprox. 55cm on both.
    2x59cm. I'm short and a little heavy, but the fat is almost all in my upper body.
    • CommentAuthortimmy240

EDIT: Ooops, I had the wrong measurements!

Height:6'4" (193cm)
    Weight: 187lbs. (84.82kg)
    Thighs: 23" (58.42cm)

And for what it's worth, 9% BMI.
    • CommentAuthorlatron
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2010

Height 190.5cm (6'3"), on the skinny side.

Left: 54cm
    Right: 55cm
    • CommentAuthorveggie

I feel inadequate. And small.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: Joshua A.C. NewmanWhy does it make sense that the right would be smaller if you're right handed? I am, too, but I feel like I slightly favor my left leg only due to my right knee being more injury-prone.

"x-handedness" refers to dexterity, not to strength. Right-handed people tend to be more dextrous (from the Latin dexter, for right) with their right hand and leg, and stronger with their left arm and leg. In many cases, the limbs on the non-handed size are physically larger than the ones on the handed size.

EDIT: I meant side, not size. For some reason, I can't type my way out of a paper bag these last few months (case in point: I had to correct four typing errors in this line).

To continue the EDIT: You'll often find that while people favor their handed side for control, they favor their non-handed side for strength. One example is kicking a soccer ball; you plant yourself on your non-handed leg and pivot to kick with the handed leg. While it might seem logical that you would want to use the stronger/more muscular leg, it's more effective to use that leg as your solid base, and improve your control/aim with the handed leg.

My left foot is nearly a half-size larger than my right foot. I always try on the left shoe first; if I can't get my left foot into the shoe, it doesn't matter how well the right one fits. But that often means the left shoe is a little tight, and the right is a little loose. I once bought a pair of Sidi Geniuses from a roadie who had a full size difference between his feet; he would buy two pairs, each sized to his particular foot, and split the pair. The left shoe was sorta worn, and the right one was brand new.

Posted By: veggieI feel inadequate. And small.

Patience, grasshopper. You'll get bigger; although, given your description of your dad, your biggest risk is probably a middle-aged gut.

I've always had big thighs; I was a semi-competitive swimmer for years, which builds big hams.
    • CommentAuthorAsspuque

Posted By: eaglerock
    Posted By: AsspuqueIt's finally time to take away my forum v-card, and I figured I could start with a classic: Let's see those measurements at the widest part of each your thighs, in centimeters (for continuity's sake). For friendly competition, for self-improvement, for what ever.
    I'll start it off:
    Right - 57.5 cm
    Left - 56.5 cm.

I think you mean circumference, not diameter. Otherwise, you're either 14 feet tall or an enormous lardass. If your right thigh is 57.5cm across the muscle (diameter), then the distance around the muscle (circumference) is about 181cm - 6 feet.

Diameter isn't a very meaningful term for a human thigh anyway, since the thigh is not a cylinder; depending on where you measure across the muscle, you'll get a wide range of numbers. And remember your geometry: Circumference = π (diameter).

Left: 59cm
    Right: 56cm (I'm right-handed, so that makes sense)

Haha Yes, I meant circumference. But if anyone feels the urge to shove a ruler through their leg, diameter away.
    *Thread title CHANGED*

I've actually noticed that my right leg is noticeably stronger on the the bike, but just the opposite in the gym (a now-rare occurrence). For a little while, I just blamed it on the possibility of my left being shorter than my right, but that's probably just a scapegoat for my own denial.
    Posted By: eaglerock"x-handedness" refers to dexterity, not to strength. Right-handed people tend to be more dextrous (from the Latindexter, for right) with their right hand and leg, and stronger with their left arm and leg. In many cases, the limbs on the non-handed size are physically larger than the ones on the handed size.

My left foot is nearly a half-size larger than my right foot.

It's so true! Huh! I thought it was just a thing I did.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: Joshua A.C. NewmanPosted By: eaglerock"x-handedness" refers to dexterity, not to strength. Right-handed people tend to be more dextrous (from the Latindexter, for right) with their right hand and leg, and stronger with their left arm and leg.

And contrariwise, left-handed people are the other way round, of course.

Posted By: Joshua A.C. NewmanIt's so true! Huh! I thought it was just a thing I did.

I fear this may lead to a discussion of shrinkage, which I would very much prefer to avoid.

Posted By: AsspuqueBut if anyone feels the urge to shove a ruler through their leg, diameter away.

EEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWW!
    Height: 5'9" (175cm)
    Weight: 155 lbs (70kg)
    Right leg: 57cm
    Left leg: 58cm

This is a weird thread.
    • CommentAuthorStrubb

so far everyone's thighs are bigger than my head...
    • CommentAuthorquidose

Posted By: timmy2409% BMI.

Calculated by Wii Fit?
    • CommentAuthortimmy240

Posted By: quidose
    Posted By: timmy2409% BMI.

Calculated by Wii Fit?

No, by the electronic sensor that's used in my school's gym. I've yet to be calipered but everyone there says they're quite accurate including my friends who are personal trainers.
    • CommentAuthorquidose

Yikes! Little Timmy needs to learn how to loosen up.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.