velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthortimmy240
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2010 edited

Today has not been a good day for my bike and I. It started on Saturday when, as a result of not having enough money for gas, I rode my bike to work. No problem; the air was chilly and I enjoyed it HOWEVER on the way back home I was doing a hill climb and the chain decided it had enough and hopped off the freewheel. The 'explosion' was enough to twist my wheel into the rear triangle O.o I thought I seized my freewheel but I found out at home that it was fine. Luckily my fiancee was in town to come pick me up. I got the chain back on, adjusted the tension and thought that was that... WRONG! This morning on the way to school the same thing happened, only this time the bike took me with it! It happened on my right downstroke so the momentum sent me sprawling out to the side of the rode (thank god the car behind me wasn't in a rush!) After gimping home after school I went up to the shop and went ahead and bought a chain breaker and lube, came home and got the chain put back on (aggravating) only to find out that my rear bearing cups on the wheel have backed out! >_< Luckily I've got a spare, but seriously?

Thank you for letting me vent, there's nothing truly important I want to say here...just had to get it out. I wish I had some money to work on the bike and get some goodies for it but ce la'vie or however it is you spell it...I speak Spanish, not French.
    Good thing you got it replaced and did not get seriously hurt from hub failure.
    • CommentAuthormktng
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2010

its the weather i tell's ya. no fret.. at least you're alive.. i think ur bike is telling you that it wants more TLC
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2010

Posted By: timmy240but ce la'vie or however it is you spell it

Not that it's important in this context, but c'est la vie.

Did the bearing cups crap out on both sides, or only on one? Did the axle break as well?

I wish I had some money to work on the bike and get some goodies for it

It's probably worth going through the whole thing and tightening everything up, hitting lubable bits with grease n'oil. The bearing cups might have gotten damaged from loosening up. At least checking everything for tightness (per Sheldon and Park Tool's recommendations) won't cost you much beyond time and lube.
    • CommentAuthortimmy240
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2010 edited

Posted By: eaglerock
    Not that it's important in this context, butc'est la vie.

Drat! I was close....

Did the bearing cups crap out on both sides, or only on one? Did the axle break as well?

It only looks like one side, and the cup is actually warped. I'm assuming it's from the force of the wheel getting jerked when the chain came off. The axle seems fine, I'll get it up to the shop soon to make sure.

It's probably worth going through the whole thing and tightening everything up, hitting lubable bits with grease n'oil. The bearing cups might have gotten damaged from loosening up. At least checking everything for tightness (perSheldonandPark Tool'srecommendations) won't cost you much beyond time and lube.

Most certainly, what should I look out for? The headset is tight and I think the spare rear wheel is fine but when I took it out for a test ride last night, I heard a slight knock in the chainline that wasn't there before....could this second rear hub somehow be loose too?
    Which part are you referring to when you say bearing cups? It's impossible for the cups to come out on their own. Perhaps you mean the cones?
    You probably have a stiff link or you didn't drive the pin in straight. I'd also recommend getting some MKS NJS chain tensioners. I need these to ride any bike with horizontal dropouts and nutted axles, especially pushing a big gear.
    • CommentAuthor1gear

It may be the air. Had a stupid issue on Friday riding home. I went to make a hard left turn to beat the light and the front wheel locked against the brake pad.
    I didn't go down but it was close. The bearing cups were loose and had decided enough was enough. I got home very slowly and very straight but that got
    rebuilt over the weekend. You just can't keep a close enough eye on stuff.
    • CommentAuthortimmy240

Posted By: Michael PerzWhich part are you referring to when you say bearing cups? It's impossible for the cups to come out on their own. Perhaps you mean the cones?

I think so. The dish-like thing on the outside of the hub that holds the bearings in.

Posted By: sgordon1987You probably have a stiff link or you didn't drive the pin in straight. I'd also recommend getting some MKS NJS chain tensioners. I need these to ride any bike with horizontal dropouts and nutted axles, especially pushing a big gear.

I don't think I need that, it's not a conversion so it's got track ends and it didn't come with a tensioner. My guess is that the chain stretched or.....

Posted By: 1gearIt may be the air.

Someone else mentioned the weather but yeah, it could be a lot of that action. Either!
    Posted By: timmy240
    Posted By: 1gearIt may be the air.

It could be anything!!! You need a whole new bike!
    Posted By: timmy240I think so. The dish-like thing on the outside of the hub that holds the bearings in.

If your hubs are equipped with loose ball bearings then the "dish thing" you're talking about is just the dust seal. It only serves to keep dirt and contaminants out of the bearings. The cones, which are underneath the dust seals, are what hold the bearings in place. You need to get some cone wrenches and properly adjust your bearings before you ride anymore.
    • CommentAuthortimmy240

Dude you're awesome! Yeah, it is the dust cover that has backed out but when I went to tighten it back down it would lock up the axle so that it wasn't spinning. I'm a total n00b to working on hubs and such. I can do brakes and other basic things, but I've never had to work on hubs. For reference, the hubs are Quando, which I assume to be re-branded Velocity's or something of the sort.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2010 edited

By the way, high-five for the use of the word "explode" in the thread title. It attracts attention; exploding bikes sound like something worth worrying about.

Clunky/clicking sounds can often happen from misadjusted loose-ball bearings. If there's a lot of slop in the axle, that's another bearing issue. Working on hubs, especially rear hubs, is a swallow-hard-and-wade-in thing; there's lots of fiddly little parts, and they have to go together in the right order and get tightened correctly, or the drivetrain sounds like battlebots tearing each other apart. But it's actually not much different than rebuilding a headset, and it's pretty satisfying when you get it right. I busted the rear axle in my Bianchi about six months ago, and it took me a month to nut up and replace the axle. But when I did, I found that one 20+ year old BB had disintegrated, and the old Campy grease had petrified. So I solved a lot of problems by getting some courage.
    • CommentAuthortimmy240

Thanks man!

So what is the procedure for working on a hub? Are there any special tools necessary?
    You'll definitely need some cone wrenches, and a bench vice makes it a lot easier to hold the axle in place while you make your adjustments. Click around on Sheldon Brown's site or search the intertubez for instructions. It's pretty straightforward.
    Posted By: eaglerock
    Posted By: timmy240but ce la'vie or however it is you spell it

Not that it's important in this context, butc'est la vie.

Not to be pedantic*, but it's รง'est la vie.

* This part is a lie.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2010

Quando is Chinese junk, like what comes on a Magna.
    • CommentAuthorpolitburo
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2010 edited

• CommentAuthortimmy240
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2010

Yeah I'm sure it's junk, it's what came stock on the rims. I wish I could get something else but alas, I'm poor and cannot afford them. "But some velocity's to deep Vs are only about $200!" I know, I can't imagine affording them anytime soon... >:-|

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.