velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

I'm considering upgrading all the basic components on my bike. At the moment I have "shit" components. So basically anything will be an upgrade. But I want mid range level components. Headset, Bottom Bracket, Wheel Set, Crank Set. I ride casually (About 4 times a week) on the street (Single Speed). So having the fastest, stiffest IE Expensive-est is not so important to me. I'm looking for reasonably priced parts that will stand up to years of use.
    Thanks In Advance.
    • CommentAuthorbionnaki
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2010

thanks for the update.
    • CommentAuthorsmricha2

"shit" components is a relative term. Maybe you could upload your bike and fill in all the pertinent information so we can better assist you.
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2010 edited

+1
    "shit" components to me are Shimano. That's only my opinion. Load it up. Even if you don't have a camera you can load up the specs on the frame and components so we can get a "picture" of what you're talking about.
    • CommentAuthorr.p.r

That is one of the oddest OPs I've yet encountered.
    Its A windsor the hour.... Shamefully yes.....
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Posted By: Hybridcoolie2Shamefully yes.....

Not shameful at all. I just got back from going to the velodrome for the first time, and they have a whole fleet of hours as "rental" bikes.
    Posted By: Hybridcoolie2I'm looking for reasonably priced parts that will stand up to years of use.

I'm confused... Are your parts not standing up to use? If something isn't working, what is it and what isn't working about it? Otherwise, how do you know that what you have now won't work in the future?

Just because some teenager tells you that your parts are shit doesn't mean he's right, you know?

Wow, all questions from me this evening...
    Well, I have ridden her hard for the last 3 years. Nothing has snapped or cracked. She has held up pretty well indeed. But, I want to upgrade. Less creaking, smoother, faster.
    Posted By: Hybridcoolie2Less creaking, smoother, faster.

This is more like it. Maybe. Plus, creaks and crunchy bearings are often the result of poor maintenance, not poor parts. Anyway...

As is said often around here, the best places to spend money on an already functional bike are those which come into direct contact with your body or the road. Once you get through those, I'd do crank and bb, then maybe wheels. At that point I'd start to consider upgrading the frame. Upgrading a functional headset, seatpost, stem, etc is pretty pointless.

But again, upgrading functional anything is more about you and your ego than it is about the bike and its function.
    • CommentAuthorbionnaki

ok. creaking usually means it's time to wrench.

but seriously, if you wish to upgrade, upgrade the components that actually matter first. wheels, tires, and contact points (saddle, bars, pedals). stuff that will actually feel different and improve your ride. then, if you want to get crazy and throw serious money at your Bikes Direct bike, work your way down to the point of diminishing returns.

dont be that guy that "upgrades" first with a 120 dollar rasta headset and a blue anodized jaguar seatpost.
    Ok but can you guys recommend some parts for me to investigate?
    I think you owe me a Coke, Bionnaki.

BTW, don't knock my King rasta headset!!!!!11111111111
    Posted By: Hybridcoolie2Ok but can you guys recommend some parts for me to investigate?

No, that's stupid. Pick the thing(s) that you most want to upgrade, do some searching on the forum for whatever it is, then come back and ask questions.
    Posted By: bionnaki
    dont be that guy that "upgrades" first with a 120 dollar rasta headset and a blue anodized jaguar seatpost.

...not to call anybody out. Eh? Haha.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

Spend the money on tools and grease so you can fix whatever is making your bike creak and ride rough. Tool ownership is to cycling as home ownership is to life.
    • CommentAuthorurchin0903

if you really wanna spend money then how do you feel about your saddle?
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Posted By: wes m.Spend the money on tools and grease so you can fix whatever is making your bike creak and ride rough.

Its gonna suck when I move out of this house, its like a bike shop up in here.
    The saddle is ok. I will get a better saddle after i finish the performance upgrades. I was really looking for some suggestions on parts. And i have considered tools but it makes no sense right now, because I have no idea how to clean a chain or even clean a bottom bracket. I wont attempt that level or maintenance with out the guidance of someone with loads of experience.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2010

Posted By: Hybridcoolie2And i have considered tools but it makes no sense right now, because I have no idea how to clean a chain or even clean a bottom bracket. I wont attempt that level or maintenance with out the guidance of someone with loads of experience.

Okay, now that issue is your top priority; or at least it should be.

Spending money on component upgrades when your bike currently works is a dicey proposition at best. Spending money on upgrades when you don't already do basic maintenance on your own bike is carries not only that risk (not that the upgrade won't work at all, but that the upgrade won't deliver improvement enough to make up for the expense); it will also be enormously more expensive up front, because you'll have to pay someone else to do the work.

Get thee to a bike kitchen. You need to start learning how to fix your own gear; it's a basic bike survival skill.

http://times-up.org/index.php?page=bike-co-op/

http://www.recycleabicycle.org/

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.