velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

Posted By: Hybridcoolie2after i finish the performance upgrades.

Again, what exactly is not performing? Your bike isn't going to become faster magically, simply because you bought an expensive part.

The only reason an amateur street rider would see a true performance increase via an upgrade is when the part being replaced is broken or otherwise not functioning to spec. If all you want is to get faster, then increase your gear inches, go to a gym, or shave your entire body and wear spandex.
    Thanks!
    • CommentAuthorwes m.
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2010

Has anyone said performance enhancing drugs yet?
    +1 for Transfusions/doping/Entire Body Hotwaxing. Made my fixie 9000x faster. Still waiting on the spandex until the local checkcashing store comes through wit da sponsorship!
    • CommentAuthorayyyyy
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2010

buy some EPO and be done with it
    naw...its all about pcp makes you numb in that special way :D
    • CommentAuthorLaurenEE
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2010

Maybe just get a nicer bike? If you upgrade everything it's still going to be nice components on a windsor the hour (not trying to insult anyone who has one). besides, it could definetly end up costing nearly as much as a whole new bike.
    • CommentAuthorurchin0903

yeah im gonna have to give a +1 for the pcp if youre going for a speed upgrade
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Posted By: LaurenEEMaybe just get a nicer bike? If you upgrade everything it's still going to be nice components on a windsor the hour (not trying to insult anyone who has one). besides, it could definetly end up costing nearly as much as a whole new bike.

Or you know, not and spend money on components little by little and then upgrade the frame when he feels the need to. Any "nicer" bike probably wont have that much better components, not enough to warrant buying a whole new bike anyways.

can we just sink this shit? it not going anywhere
    • CommentAuthorLaurenEE
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2010 edited

Posted By: veggie
    Posted By: LaurenEEMaybe just get a nicer bike? If you upgrade everything it's still going to be nice components on a windsor the hour (not trying to insult anyone who has one). besides, it could definetly end up costing nearly as much as a whole new bike.

Or you know, not and spend money on components little by little and then upgrade the frame when he feels the need to. Any "nicer" bike probably wont have that much better components, not enough to warrant buying a whole new bike anyways.

Well sure, but it's not like brand new stock bikes are his only options. There are plenty of used bikes with upgraded components available. I have one. I am just kind of throwing out an idea anyway.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Posted By: LaurenEEI have one.

Lets see it then!
    • CommentAuthorLaurenEE

i know, i have been meaning to. i have never uploaded pictures to the internet, but i have tomorrow off and i will try. it's another chrome pista.
    93% of bike performance is the rider

Sometimes the best rationale for buying shit is realizing you can't rationalize it. I want a chrome Kilo TT... I want it cause its shiny + has more aggressive geometry... neither of which will help my commute

But I'm cool w/that... by realizing that I've been able to prioritize it appropriately... I def need a road bike more

Point is, you want ppl to rationalize something irrational (needlessly upgrading perfectly functional parts for, from what we understand, a bike that will never see track time or any competitive events)... figure out why you really want to upgrade all the shit on your bike and see if it's actually worth it. Personally, I think it's a good enough beater, but a little low on style... a new frame/fork might be what you actually want
    • CommentAuthorncecchi
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2010 edited

Yeah man, you really have to be more specific.

but, the best upgrades are going to be one's that you can take with you to your next frame, so think wheels, cranks, bars, etc...
    start with the contact points which means seat and bars, as well as grips. Things I would really recommend are a set of Nitto's or 3T's, and for a saddle, check out a Terry Fly TI - Nashbar has a white one which was just posted as a return. they are by far the best saddles i've ever ridden, and they are no longer produced, so jump on this one. I certainly would if I had money for a new saddle.
    If you do wheels, consider doing some vueltas - they are a really good value for the money.

Otherwise, I'm going to second what most others have said, and that would be to get a good multi-tool and a good tool set so you can work on your own ride. That's really the first and most important thing to do, and while you are working on it, you will learn a ton, probably fuck up once or twice, put that's part of learning. so just do it, you'll be thankful.
    I do agree to learning to wrench. I have always wanted to, but didnt know where to go. So thank you ealgerock!.

To be honest, I was really looking for some suggestions about parts. I want to have a completely different bike by next summer, I'm planing to upgrade slowly component by component. I was hoping this forum could be very informative. But to be honest... I have learned almost nothing. And still at square one.

Anyways, Thanks Again To Eaglerock.
    • CommentAuthorLaurenEE
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2010

What is the first thing you want to upgrade?
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2010

we can't tell you what need or will like. we can only make suggestions, and we cant do that if you dont have any idea what you want or are looking for
    The first thing is the bottom bracket. I was looking at phil wood, but it too expensive, White Industries was my next option. After that i wanted to have a wheel set made with a profile racing track hubset laced to velocity b43 rims (btw will my brakes work with the un-machined rim?) All city crankset, Or is there another more recommended brand? Then finally a chris king headset. Heard its the best, but once again, i would like some feed back on the parts and some suggestions please.
    Posted By: Hybridcoolie2I'm looking for reasonably priced parts that will stand up to years of use.

Posted By: Hybridcoolie2White Industries

Posted By: Hybridcoolie2profile racing track hubset laced to velocity b43 rims

Posted By: Hybridcoolie2chris king headset

None of these things are reasonably priced, and plenty of other, less expensive parts will stand up to years or use. You ride casually, four times per week, with a freewheel. You are fooling yourself if you think any of these things are necessary. Does Profile even make track hubs for freewheels?

Your bike works fine, so ride it. Otherwise you need to recognize that these things are luxuries, and stop trying to justify their necessity, ok?

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.