velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

Has anyone had problems with tubes that resist any type of patching? I've come across several tubes that seem more like plastic than "rubber" and today I've wasted two peel-and-stick and one cold vulcanize patches trying to seal a pin-hole. Each time I thoroughly cleaned and buffed the repair area, ensured the patches were pressed onto the tube with complete contact, and the patches all appeared to have a strong grip. The patches all failed because air leaked from the pin hole and lifted the patches from the tube surface - the adhesives just didn't bond with these particular tubes. I was able to peel off the remaining bonded portions of the patches with ease which was disappointing becuase it is my experience that the adhesive bond is usualy tough enough that attempts to peel off patches somtimes results in tearing the tube itself in the process. Anyway, I ended up having to install a new tube on the bike today. In the future, I'll note the texture of the tubes and not attempt to patch any that fit the "limited elasticity, plasticky" description. Thanks for any comments/suggestions.
    • CommentAuthorbionnaki
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2010

are they butyl?
    • CommentAuthorsmricha2

Brand? Model?
    • CommentAuthorsmricha2

Posted By: bionnakiare they butyl?
    yeah... I was thinking that too... Latex maybe?
    Sorry for the delay, I had to go get the tube. It is made by Kenda, Taiwan, this one is 26x1.9/2.125 in a 2.1 tire, typical black color. The wheel is on a Peugot Insomnia model that I found at Camp Victory, Iraq and the tire & tube appear to be original and never before serviced. Initial puncture was caused by a bit of grit between rim strip and tube that likely got there during shipping of the bike with the tires deflated, and no other sharp sites are present. I'm noticing again that the tube is almost non-elastic. By comparison, most tubes could almost be used for slingshots. Another thing I can add: no matter how much I scour the repair site, the surface stays shiny, even though material is coming off of the tube. And, I even tried using cyoanacrylate (super glue) but that patch attempt only lasted about 5 minutes after I pumped up the tire. Does this give you any ideas?? Thanks for your feeback!
    • CommentAuthorbionnaki
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2010 edited

sounds like the tube is just old/weathered/defective or your patches suck.

kenda tubes are the most common. I believe they pretty much make tubes for everyone.
    • CommentAuthor1gear

I have had 1 or 2 of those recently myself. I use the scabs brand patches. Up until last month they have always worked fine. Now suddenly they won't hold. Both times this has happened were with new tubes. I replace tubes every spring the old ones go in the seat bags as spares. I to have scuffed the tube first. If memory serves correctly the tubes were of Bontrager brand. I have some performance tubes now but they are all most likly made in the same factory. Maybe time to move up to some Contenental tubes. These are more expensive but I have never had a patch issue with them.

Ekh.
    • CommentAuthorshiggy
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2010

Posted By: Alex SchleyerHas anyone had problems with tubes that resist any type of patching? I've come across several tubes that seem more like plastic than "rubber" and today I've wasted two peel-and-stick and one cold vulcanize patches trying to seal a pin-hole. Each time I thoroughly cleaned and buffed the repair area, ensured the patches were pressed onto the tube with complete contact, and the patches all appeared to have a strong grip. The patches all failed because air leaked from the pin hole and lifted the patches from the tube surface - the adhesives just didn't bond with these particular tubes. I was able to peel off the remaining bonded portions of the patches with ease which was disappointing becuase it is my experience that the adhesive bond is usualy tough enough that attempts to peel off patches somtimes results in tearing the tube itself in the process. Anyway, I ended up having to install a new tube on the bike today. In the future, I'll note the texture of the tubes and not attempt to patch any that fit the "limited elasticity, plasticky" description. Thanks for any comments/suggestions.

Self adhesive patches are temporary at best.

Use a Rema TipTop patch kit. Scuff up the area and clean it with an alcohol wipe before you apply the glue.
    When I had this problem last summer, the patches turned out to be to blame. I changed brands and haven't had any problems since.
    Sometimes I find inflating it in the tire instead of a test inflation just straight to the tire that way the tire holds against the patch. That and I burn it to complete the seal. I hate patching tubes.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.