velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

hi
    i was recently thinking about investing in a quill stem for my bike, unfortunately though i am not to familiar with parts. i was thinking about going with a Nitto Dynamic 26.0 110mm but i am not to familiar with parts. should i go with something else? can i get some advice ?
    • CommentAuthordeermatt
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2010

nitto makes good quill stems, go for it .
    so you would recommend the dynamic ?? i was also looking at the jaguar
    • CommentAuthorbionnaki
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2010 edited

nitto stems are about 7mm longer than marked (or at least they measure differently than other manufacturers), so take that into account.

the quality is as high as quill stems go.

if your bars are 25.4, you'll need a shim.

the difference between the jaguar and the dynamic is basically the angle. go with what you need / what would be ideal for your setup. we cant tell you that.
    thanks for the info
    Wait, wait, let's not get ahead of ourselves here... The real question, especially based on the way you worded your original post, is will your bike take a quill stem? What are you riding? Use this to determine which type of headset you have, then tell us.
    Posted By: bionnakinitto stems are about 7mm longer than marked

BTW, this bothers the shit out of me.
    Posted By: suicide_doors
    Posted By: bionnakinitto stems are about 7mm longer than marked

BTW, this bothers the shit out of me.

is that just for their quill stems or does that apply to their threadless as well?
    Honestly, I don't know, but wouldn't I doubt it. As far as I understand, Nitto measures quill stems from the center of the clamp to the center of the quill, perpendicular to its axis. That is, Nitto measures all quills, regardless of angle, as though they had a 0 degree drop. That's why their 0 degree (or 90 degree, depending on how you're measuring) stems measure "correctly" or, as I would call it, the Italian way. I'm not entirely sure that this is all accurate, as I have not measured any other stem than a Pearl in both ways... It's definitely accurate for the Pearl. I'll measure a Jaguar tomorrow, if you really want.

Anyway, if someone has a UI-5GX or something, measure that shit!
    @ sucide_doors

im about to invest in a threaded chris king headset
    or do you mean what frame i have
    Well, the question is whether your fork is threaded or threadless. But since you're buying a $100 headset, additional cost to (possibly) thread your fork probably won't bother you.
    wait so suicide_doors nitto pearls are true to size? a 90mm is not really a 100mm?

I keep hesitating to purchase one cuz I keep finding conflicting reports as to the true measurement of the stems
    totally forgot about my fork. just realized that its threadless. thanks for the info
    • CommentAuthorbionnaki
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2010

you were about to drop some serious coin on a nitto jaguar and a ck 2nut/gripnut headset...and just realized you have a threadless setup?

c'mon man.

whitekimchee: they run 7mm longer, quill and threadless stems alike. measure for yourself. not a big deal, just order one size down. need a 100, get a 90.
    Posted By: suicide_doorsHonestly, I don't know, but wouldn't I doubt it. As far as I understand, Nitto measures quill stems from the center of the clamp to the center of the quill, perpendicular to its axis. That is, Nitto measures all quills, regardless of angle, as though they had a 0 degree drop. That's why their 0 degree (or 90 degree, depending on how you're measuring) stems measure "correctly" or, as I would call it, the Italian way. I'm not entirely sure that this is all accurate, as I have not measured any other stem than a Pearl in both ways... It's definitely accurate for the Pearl. I'll measure a Jaguar tomorrow, if you really want.

Anyway, if someone has a UI-5GX or something, measure that shit!

as soon as i find that fucking tape measure.
    • CommentAuthorsmricha2
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2010

Posted By: PauOrejuelatotally forgot about my fork. just realized that its threadless. thanks for the info

my head literally fell into my hand when I read this...
    Posted By: whitekimcheewait so suicide_doors nitto pearls are true to size? a 90mm is not really a 100mm?

No, the opposite. Nitto measures every stem (threadless included, according to bionnaki) the way I described. The only stems they make which are true to size are their 0 degree models.
    Posted By: PauOrejuelatotally forgot about my fork. just realized that its threadless. thanks for the info

... I'm glad I asked.
    • CommentAuthorkirke
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2010

I have a Nitto UI-5GX and yes, according to my measurements it is about 8mm longer than described. My 110mm is really more of a 120mm.
    ok. calm down everyone. like i said before i dont know much about parts and plus getting my fork threaded is only 35$ for me so im not to worried

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.