velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

These Mack hubs look promising, and sexy... What do you think? What would you lace these to?
    http://fixedgearbikes.blogspot.com/2009/01/mack-custom-track-hubs.html
    http://tarckbike.com/node/9754
    http://www.mackhubs.com/

I'm under the impression that make seatposts also?
    I have my polished MACK hubs laced to black IRD rims with black Sapim CX-Ray spokes. They're overbuilt like Phil Wood, but a helluva lot lighter. They've been around a while (I got mine in 2006). Don't know about the seatposts.
    So a wheel built like that would make a smoother transition from the street to the track no?
    • CommentAuthordeermatt
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2010

I don't know what you mean a "smoother transition from street to the track" . You wont feel a difference, if you want to do well on the track, go out every day and put in miles . Get weights, and do weighted lunges , run , get your legs stronger . Thats where you will see a difference on the track, not the best hubs.
    By smoother transition i mean having street/track aspects. I'm well aware of the need for constant conditioning (which i do I'm not a weak kid) I'm just trying to decide on a wheelset that i can train on (street and track) and compete with later. I know you cant have everything but these looked like nice hubs with strong aesthetic value in my opinion. I just wanted third party feedback on these hubs and what rims they should be laced to that is all...
    There are probably hundreds of rim/ spoke count/ lacing patterns you could use with the hubs - you'll need to look around and see what appeals to you (5 people will give you 4 different answers). If you need to have just "one perfect wheelset" I would consult a reputable local wheelbuilder and narrow down some choices given your weight, riding style and targeted use. It sounds like these are going to get plenty of use, so I would lean toward durability vs. ultralight.
    • CommentAuthorWilburito
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2010

Looks like they spent a lengthier time coming up with a logo, than they did creating their hubs.
    • CommentAuthorpeazweag

AMEN!DEERMATT.getting stonger is where its at,not what kind of hubs or how many grams your seat post weighs.well said
    I have a pair of Mack hubs laced to cxp33.
    They spin amazingly and are built quite similar to phil hubs. They are very light but you can also get them in "superlight".
    The only complaints I have is that you have to preorder them and it takes 3 months to get the hubs and the lockring seems a bit soft (or maybe my tool just sucks). But you can choose all the specifications (spoke holes, high flange, low flange, colors at no extra cost).
    I have all the prices(paid about 150€ for a set) and specifications here if anybody needs them.
    I'm fighting with myself if I should order another pair since I like mine so much...
    Posted By: peazweagAMEN!DEERMATT.getting stonger is where its at,not what kind of hubs or how many grams your seat post weighs.well said

I mean i totally agree with him but look at his bikes....Zipp Etc If it doesn't matter why doesnt he roll around on some b43's Laced to formulas? (The wheels i have got them really cheap a fraction of what the zipps costs) I think its safe to say that i would want to upgrade from my heavy tank wheels to something lighter (Mavic Ellipse?) And i just wanted feedback on some random hubs i found...
    Posted By: William3000I have a pair of Mack hubs laced to cxp33.
    They spin amazingly and are built quite similar to phil hubs. They are very light but you can also get them in "superlight".
    The only complaints I have is that you have to preorder them and it takes 3 months to get the hubs and the lockring seems a bit soft (or maybe my tool just sucks). But you can choose all the specifications (spoke holes, high flange, low flange, colors at no extra cost).
    I have all the prices(paid about 150€ for a set) and specifications here if anybody needs them.
    I'm fighting with myself if I should order another pair since I like mine so much...

Nice now I was probably gonna go with a mavic ellipse wheelset and switch the mack hubs with the mavics but i guess it really doesnt matter
    • CommentAuthorWilliam3000
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2010 edited

Posted By: incorporated

Nice now I was probably gonna go with a mavic ellipse wheelset and switch the mack hubs with the mavics but i guess it really doesnt matter

Well it does not majorly matter. But if it makes you happy to have that kind of stuff it's all good.
    I can feel you, since I did so much research on bikes and stuff. Especially when I wasn't allowed to move my leg after the surgery. I literally became obsessed. Spend full days in front of the computer at my girlfriends appartement for 2 weeks. I needed something to do and sorted out the best deals for my future bike and leaned a lot of stuff about bikes and mechanics in general.
    Now I have a nice bike and riding it makes me feel good. I guess my old bike also made me feel good, but the new bike sparked my motivation to ride more and more.
    So in the end if it makes you happy and motivates you and you have the money for a nice bike and stuff - do it.

Also a Dodici Gara with mack high flange on dt swiss rr1.2 is my next big dream. But for now I'm broke.
    Posted By: William3000
    Add your comments

Haha dodici! Saving up for a special.... And yeah I've done so much research on bikes because of the dumb choices i made in the past (Hence I actually found Mack hubs haha)
    • CommentAuthorbionnaki

you were going to replace the mavic hubs on the ellipse wheelset with mack hubs? yeah, it doesnt really work that way.
    Posted By: William3000
    Add your comments

Haha dodici! Saving up for a special.... And yeah I've done so much research on bikes because of the dumb choices i made in the past (Hence I actually found Mack hubs haha)

I know.. you leave footsteps.

you were going to replace the mavic hubs on the ellipse wheelset with mack hubs? yeah, it doesnt really work that way.

how so?
    • CommentAuthorsmricha2

how so?

how so?

I think what he is saying is "You could probably make it work, but it really wouldn't be worth your time, money, etc." What about the Ellipses did you like (or not like) to attempt such a transplant? The rims? you could find a comparable medium/deep profile rim from Velocity, H+Son, etc. The spokes? You would be hard pressed to find that the Ellipses' spokes would be the correct length when lacing them from the mack hub to the Ellipse rim (not sure though, just something to think about). The spoke count? I don't really have an answer for you there b/c I can't think off the top of my head of off the shelf rims that have low number of drillings. Basically from the way I see it (please correct me if I'm wrong) you want to drop the dough on a pair of Ellipses, tear them apart, buy the mack hubs, buy the correct length spokes (probably), and either put the time in the properly lace and true them up, or spend even more money having your LBS lace them up for you. I feel like you could accomplish the same thing (or close to it) for a lot less cash. Just trying to help.
    I was under the impression that i could buy the ellipse rims separately i guess not (more research) SO any suggestions smricha?
    • CommentAuthordeermatt

the ellipse hubs are straight pull, they would be stiffer and stronger than the mack hubs I'd say . Ellipses are great track wheels , I've seen them used, I've seen them in pictures at other tracks , people winning races on them. Hell, there are old guys on box rims and hubs from the 80s winning races . Any mid range hub will spin well, any high range hub will spin well and look fancier . I'd suggest a light weight hoop, for less rotational mass, but it has been proven that a aero rim beats out a light, non aero rim .

The reason I have my zipps are for a few reasons , first, I wanted tubulars for the track , and any decent tubular set will start around 400-500. The elite riders I ride with all told me if you plan on racing for a while, invest in a disc, so I did. I actually got my wheelset crazy cheap, I wont say how cheap, but you wouldn't believe me . At my level though , I'm just as fast on my mavic cxp12s to suntour superbe pro hubs , as I am on my carbon zipps .
    • CommentAuthorbionnaki
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2010 edited

how so?

well, I suppose you can use the rim if you get the correct hub drilling and correct length spokes not to mention some sort of ultra custom mack hub that accepts straight-pull spokes. you cannot simply replace the hubs of a already-built ellipse wheelset and use the ellipse spokes w/ a new mack hub.

if the ellipse wheelset is in good condition, I see no benefit in simply switching out the hubs. there are plenty of great rims out there -- no need to cannibalize. Hubs really arent that important relative to the rest of the wheel and other components.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.