velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorcolklink
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2010

The frame has the name Juy Simplex by the rear fork, rear derailleur is Simplex, Mafac brakes with gum hooks,the cranks have Strong & Light written on them,pedals
    are Lyotards, with Lapize leather straps, withtoe clips, Campagnolo quick take off for the wheels. Mavic rims, front, and rear, handle bar is Vetta. Yes this is a 10 speed, the frame is chrome, and there is a number, 1481 hand stamped on the left rear fork.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Pictures would help anyone with some knowledge
    • CommentAuthorcolklink

I'm not sure how to put a picture on.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

upload the picture somewhere, then take the direct url to the image(will most likely have .jpg at the end) and post it here.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: colklinkThe frame has the name Juy Simplex by the rear fork, rear derailleur is Simplex, Mafac brakes with gum hooks,the cranks have Strong & Light written on them,pedals
    are Lyotards, with Lapize leather straps, withtoe clips, Campagnolo quick take off for the wheels. Mavic rims, front, and rear, handle bar is Vetta. Yes this is a 10 speed, the frame is chrome, and there is a number, 1481 hand stamped on the left rear fork.

Obviously, a real ID will have to wait for photos. But it's almost certainly a French bike: Forged Simplex dropouts (is Simplex also stamped on the fork dropouts, where the front wheel fits?), Stronglight cranks, Mafac brakes, Lyotard pedals.

When you say the frame is chrome, do you mean the entire frame, or just the frame and fork dropouts? While full-frameset chroming was a standard practice in the Italian bike industry, it was mostly optional for French builders. I have a late 50s brochure for Follis (a high-end builder in Lyon), and it lists chroming "in the Italian style" as an option for the better-quality frames. If the whole frame is chromed, that would be an indication of a high quality frame, because somebody paid extra for it.

Urago, of course, was a very high-end builder in Nice. Are there any decals? If there aren't any decals or pantographing, why do you think it might be a Urago?
    • CommentAuthorcolklink
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2010

I do have a picture on here, but I don't know how to get it on this forum, yes the whole frame is chrome. The reason I feel this might be a Urago, I was reading an article
    that mention stuff that was on this bike, but the thing that stood out the most was the fact that the serial number was hand stamped on the lower left side where the spindle goes.
    • CommentAuthorcolklink

No, there aren't any decals, and yes simplex is forged into the rear forks.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

• CommentAuthorcolklink

Looks like I did get a picture on here, but I'm not sure how I did it?
    • CommentAuthorbionnaki

maybe email jan heine with a high-rez image & pertinent details.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2010 edited

http
    Posted By: colklinkLooks like I did get a picture on here, but I'm not sure how I did it?

veg did it for you, by going to your bike listing, copying the address of the photo, and pasting it here like this:

https://velospace.org/files/colklinkschromebike.JPG

FYI, "100_0567.JPG" is not a wise choice of name for a photo, at least not around here. If you pick a distinctive name, it's less likely that some other photo named "100_0567.JPG" will pop up in its place. Something like "colklinks_chrome_Urago_leftside.jpg" is likely to be safe; plus, you won't have to open the photo to know what it is.

Posted By: bionnakimaybe email jan heine with a high-rez image & pertinent details.

I'm not sure whether that's meant sarcastically, but that's actually a pretty good idea. Jan Heine is the publisher/editor of Bicycle Quarterly, a magazine that really admires hand-built midcentury French bikes. My guess is that Heine will send you to the Classic Rendezvous mailing list, which is a mailing list that discusses pre-indexed lugged steel road bikes like yours. there are several members there who have a lot of experience with French bikes, including experience as importers.

But those old dudes are going to want a lot more description (and much better photos) than you've provided so far: Names/models of cranks, brakes/levers, derailleurs/shifters, hubs/rims, stem/handlebar, pedals. If there are any markings on the frame or fork, they'll want descriptions/photos, including location. If you don't know models, better pictures will help others to identify them.

Pretend we can't examine your bike...because we can't. You have to do it for us, and tell us what you see.

Do you know for sure that it's a French frame? If it has a French thread bottom bracket and a French headset, then it's almost certainly a French frame (because nobody else would be stubborn/stupid enough to use them). A French bottom bracket may be marked 35x1 on one or both cups; if you take the top nut off a French headset, the lockring underneath will have a flat edge on the inside ring, which matches a flattened spot on the steerer tube. A standard British/Italian headset will have a lockring with a tooth, which fits into a slot in the steerer.
    • CommentAuthorcolklink
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2010

I appreciate all the help on this, I'm still a little lost on some of it, I'll get better pictures, and description .
    • CommentAuthorcolklink
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2010

I tried to put more pictures on, and it looks like they were getting mixed with photos that weren't mind when I uploaded them. Looks like I lost the photo I had, I don't know how to correct any of this, The uploaded photos don't even show? To ad to the description tire size is 22x700,and these are Michelin. The bracket that shifts the chain says Suntor
    chain looks like it says Sedis. Brake system says Mafac competiton. Metal guards on the pedals say Christophe special.
    Looking at the rear hub, from the right side, I can see a flat washer it looks like, it's marked CRPLO 64, Stes 500, it also says made in France.
    I'll try tomorrow to get the pictures on.
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2010 edited

Posted By: colklinkI tried to put more pictures on, and it looks like they were getting mixed with photos that weren't mind when I uploaded them.

You just need to rename the files to something unique, maybe put you username in it. Then re-upload.

The problem is that there are already files with the names you are trying to use, try to rename your pictures when you take them off your camera.
    • CommentAuthorcolklink
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2010

I renamed the pictures, I uploaded them 4 times, and I still don't have any pictures on here, I don't know where they went. It's like somebody is blocking my pictures.
    • CommentAuthordeermatt
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2010

you realize you posted your bike 4 times, right ? The first one has no pictures or info , the second and third one are the exact same (pictures , and the only info on the bike is '"I hope these pictures get on.") The last one you made has nothing in it .. Posting a bike shouldn't be this hard . You might want to delete all 4, and start over .
    • CommentAuthorsmricha2

I feel like Colklink is the guy that stumbles into the party way too drunk talking about some unintelligible nonsense and nobody knows who he is or where he came from... am I the only one getting this vibe? Sorry Colklink... no disrespect. Sorry drunk people... no disrespect.
    • CommentAuthorcolklink

deermatt, yes I know I posted them 4 times, and I still don't know where they went. I don't see any pictures on my stuff. If there's pictures there I don't know where there at.
    smircha2, your right I feel like I don't know what I'm doing, I've tried things that were suggested, and there not working. As for unintelligible nonsense, I described the bike
    as I seen it, and some words on the bike, I listed what I could make out, maybe somebody could figure out what the word was. I'm trying to identify this bike, and I was told this was the place I could get this information. smircha2, maybe your to drunk to understand this, and the Simpsons aren't on TV, so you really don't have anything to do, why don't you go paint a wall, and watch it dry.
    • CommentAuthorsmricha2
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2010

I was talking about these comments...

Posted By: colklinkI'm not sure how to put a picture on.

Posted By: colklinkI do have a picture on here, but I don't know how to get it on this forum,

Posted By: colklinkLooks like I did get a picture on here, but I'm not sure how I did it?

Posted By: colklinkI tried to put more pictures on, and it looks like they were getting mixed with photos that weren't mind when I uploaded them. Looks like I lost the photo I had, I don't know how to correct any of this, The uploaded photos don't even show?

Posted By: colklinkI renamed the pictures, I uploaded them 4 times, and I still don't have any pictures on here, I don't know where they went. It's like somebody is blocking my pictures.

... not your description of the bike. Sorry dude. Like I said, I wasn't trying to be disrespectful... just making an observation. Oh yeah...

Posted By: colklinksmircha2, maybe your to drunk to understand this, and the Simpsons aren't on TV, so you really don't have anything to do, why don't you go paint a wall, and watch it dry.

... lunch break at work so I really didn't have anything to do :) Anyways, hope you get your questions answered be it here or elsewhere.
    • CommentAuthorcolklink
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2010

I found some of my problem, I was using Mozilla firefox, now I went to internet explore, and I can see my pictures.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.