velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorjdiamond
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2010

hey i just got tossed a hed 3 for free today, not bad shape once i cleaned it up. couldnt say no to that. my problem is i dont know what year it is, so im not sure if the surly fixxer will work, any way to tell? i dont want to throw cash down on buying one and it not work.
    • CommentAuthorpeazweag
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2010

take it to yuor LBS and find out
    • CommentAuthoryoung gun
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2010

is it a freewheel or cassett model?
    • CommentAuthorjdiamond
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2010 edited

it is a a cassette. i disassembled the hub already, and the splines that the surly fixxer would attach to look slightly different
    • CommentAuthorparkman14
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2010

Make it a front.
    Contact hed, Im sure they could help you out. I believe you could buy a front hub from them. My friend had a trispoke and the front hub had threading for a fixed cog and lockring.
    • CommentAuthoryoung gun

if its a casset they should all be compatable with a fixer, maybe call surly? its suposed to work on all shimano style casset hubs from my understanding, too bad its not an older one you could make it a front
    • CommentAuthorjdiamond

yeah i think i am going to try to call hed, i would love to make it a front but with the cassette hub, when you disassemble the hub body your left with only one bearing due to the fact the other bearing would be in the cassette hub itself, the surly fixxer also has a bearing in it for the one you missing and yeah the fixxer works with all shamano style cassette hub 1997 and after, i dont know what year it is. thanks for al the help guys :)

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.