velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about the new UCI 3 to 1 rule in track bikes. just wondering what it is so i can determine whether or not my track bike is still legal.
    • CommentAuthorncecchi
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2010

that's been a rule for quite a minute. shouldn't be anything new to you. and unless you race cat 2 or above, doesn't really matter how "aero" you are.
    ohh ok. down here in Australia they only seem to be telling us all now. all the BT's had to get smaller seat posts coz they were too aero.
    Yeah, it's been a rule for awhile. My local track does not enforce it for anyone. I would think it's something only looked at if you're racing Cat 1 or 2. You could have everything illegal on your bike, larger than the 3:1 dimension, and I guarantee it won't make you any faster.

However… lots of people have been unloading aerobars and other aero profile parts that break the 3:1 rule on the used market. I picked upa 700 dollar pair of Alpina Aero Track bars for 75 bucks!
    thanks man
    • CommentAuthorPista Team
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2010

What frame is it because the Cervelo P3 and T3 track bikes everyone had to buy a new seatpost as the original was over the ratio.
    yer that is the same with the BTs, the frame is a Focus izalco pista, which is the same as the avanti team carbon frames.
    hey pista team, i see u live in Invercargill, im going there this month for the Yunca tour and a track carnival. are you racing?
    What's the rule?
    its a 3:1 ratio which has got to do with the seatpost being too aero or somthing. ive been asking around and apparently mine is alright because the seatpost is soooo high.
    • CommentAuthorluno
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2010

incidentally a 3:1 airfoil chord section is traditionally where you start getting laminar airflow in 0 yaw conditions, hence this rule.
    • CommentAuthorPista Team
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2010

Yea i will be racing the Yunca in the U19 grade and in the track carnivle after. The Focus izalco pista and Avanti pista team are UCI legal but the carbon part of the seatpost isnt, so if it isstill in the white frame insert it is still ok, this is just what i have herd as there are about 10 Pista teams in Invercargill.
    im also in the 19 grade. im in the racing kangaroos team. see u there. my name is luke colyer
    *collyer*

\

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.

velospace | About | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | contact | blog | status | site map | ©ActionHub.com
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.