velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorpayne
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2009

I just picked up a cheap Spinergy Rev-X wheel and it slightly out of true. I was wondering if anyone here on this awesome site could tell me if/how you can a Rev-X or similar wheels. Thanks.
    • CommentAuthorAaron C
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2009

i am not aware that you can true a carbon wheel.

if its a rev-x the best course of action may be to use a hammer so that it will explode now rather than later.
    • CommentAuthorpayne

Gooood call with the hammer there heh so are you saying that they have a history of exploding during use? Yeah I don't see how you would true it seeing as how it has no spokes to adjust. It just seems like such a waste to have an expenisve(ish in my case) wheel where you can't service it like normal wheels :/
    Yeah, they are known to fail at speed. Sorry man, I think they look cool. You can hang it on your wall!
    • CommentAuthorpayne

well...balls
    • CommentAuthorgreg

You can ride a wheel that is out of true, it may be a pain if you feel the hop in it, but as long as it doesn't hit your brake calipers there's no reason not to.
    • CommentAuthormonkey max

a year ago i heard of some old carbon mtb wheeles..
    they could be trued by putting them into the refrigerator for a day or so..
    I don't think it will work but maybe you could give it a try
    • CommentAuthorpayne

I'll give that refrigerator thing a try perhaps if I feel a hop in it...ideally I will have it on by tomorrow. Thanks for the input!
    how are you going to fit a 700c spinergy rev x in your refrigerator, but the tempeture change does make sense. that sounds crazy.

i just sold my rev x because i did not want it to explode on me when i was riding. it is an extremely light and fast wheel, if it would last long enough to be used that way.
    • CommentAuthordas_pyrate
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2009

there you go again with the "fast" component crap. can't take you seriously anymore.
    Posted By: das_pyratevilevotesfixed

The riser bars and little grips on his bike are super fast components also. You should see how fast those parts can move.

Haha. In a metered time trial race, sure...certain wheels do have better aerodynamics, therefore cutting a few seconds off a hour long race. But for just cruising around your city streets, it's not going to make you ANY faster. In fact, the speed gained by putting on two top-of-the-line aero wheels on a bike would not even be close to the better aerodynamics he could achieve by changing out of street clothes (baggy jeans and a t-shirt) and wearing a jersey and bike shorts. Greater aerodynamics is achieved by changing the riders positions than can be achieved by changing parts on the bike.

that spray painted selle italia saddle he has on there cancels out all wind resistance
    Posted By: das_pyratevilevotesfixed

Spray painting a SEAT! Hahaha. Good way to ruin your pants.

lol yeah. he tried to sell it on craigslist a while ago. i lol'd.
    if you wanna sell it at a chep price id buy it i wanna put it on my shitty build
    • CommentAuthorOtto Rax
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2009

Posted By: monkey maxa year ago i heard of some old carbon mtb wheeles..
    they could be trued by putting them into the refrigerator for a day or so..
    I don't think it will work but maybe you could give it a try

it has to be a refrigerator where the doors opens to the right

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.