velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorbigjoe1986
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2010

I have seen a few guys last year with hacked up and modified bikes and throwing a set of skis on them.I have found alot of how to sites and forums around the internet but they are all using wood.I am a big guy so im kinda sketchy on using a piece of 2x4 to hold the skis to my bike.Seen the kits online selling for like $200 and thought these people were smoking somethin to buy it(without skis).Has anybody ever tried this or tried making their own brackets to direct mount.Here is a link to what i am talking about....

http://projectskibike.wordpress.com/category/uncategorized/

Anybody who is interested in throwing some ideas around would be great and maybe we can build somethin to do when we are drunk and stupid and just need to do something.... lol
    • CommentAuthorncecchi
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2010

dood, this is so easy - if you don't know how to weld go to Harbor Freight and get a small welder, a helmet, and gloves, and some wire all for about $120. Then go to Home Depot and get some metal angle, you'll use about half of it to practice on- there are tons of how-to's on welding steel, but it's super easy once you get the hang of it.
    Make figure 8's and go slow - the weld should look like a bunch of plates laid on the ground over one another.
    Then use the rest of the steel angle, drill it proper and bolt that mutha up.

When I used to teach snowboarding, the dudes that ran the park @ Keystone used to hit the 50-60 footers on their snow bikes. fuckin rad.
    • CommentAuthorMaxThrash
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2010

OK, stupid question, how do ski bikes brake?
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Posted By: MaxThrashOK, stupid question, how do ski bikes brake?

Same way you would on real skies? I have no clue.
    • CommentAuthorncecchi

same way you would on real skis. and you can drag a foot. you should defo be wearing snowboarding boots when you ride it.
    and if you go to a resort, they require a leash, and not all will let you in.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Posted By: ncecchisame way you would on real skis

Called it!
    • CommentAuthorncecchi

oh... and make sure you paint or powdercoat the steel since it's way harder to weld stainless and much more expensive, and snow+salt = rust. Oh, and also, keep a front hub in the fork so you can bolt the steel angle to the axle (do an axle swap with a rear so it's longer). that's all, i think.
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2010

I am decent at welding but i will definately be doing a little practice before tackling this just so the welds are good because its been about a year since i touched the thing.Stopping on a skibike would be the same as skis/snowboard im assuming but hey who needs brakes...just keep going full speed like a madman :D.It will definately be painted.maybe even break out the airbrush and do something custom.gonna be beat up so nothin big lol.Ive seen these done with skateboard trucks also but wasnt sure how strong that would be.to stand on i was thinking of using pegs from a bmx or something similar and just remove the crank, bearings pedals etc and weld everything up in the bb.Im a big guy so i need something strong.I also plan on jumping with it so its gotta be able to withstand force. suggestions or comments would be great.
    • CommentAuthorgreg
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2010

• CommentAuthorEddd
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2010 edited

Definitely on the to-do list - riding, not necessarily building the bike. Anyone got pics? Is this tame or more like trying to get good vid for the show Jackass? (no offense)
    • CommentAuthorgreg
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2010

from the link above:

• CommentAuthorncecchi
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2010

It's pretty tame as long as you keep it on green (easy) slopes - taking it into the park and hitting 60 foot booters without first being able to one skis or a snowboard is a recipe for disaster though.
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2010 edited

I decided i am going to try it first with skateboard trucks to see how they hold up since i have an old skateboard home.If they fail then i will take the hubs out of some old rims and make a triangle mount like the kits come with.We have some good steep hills nearby so i will try a few hardcore runs right from the start.I have the rims and everything stripped off the frame now so its just a matter of time before i decide to finish it.
    • CommentAuthorEddd
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2010

Seems like a lot of fun to do with a group, heck, even with my kids. Still trying to imagine the possibilities of what can be accomplished with enough speed and some good ramps...

Looks from the pic there are ways to do without welding (at least for a mild ride version). Also seems like a trip to the junkyard and sports authority could be a very economical way to have a bike for the winter slopes. Has anyone built one with some kind of balanced spring system? Might take the jolt out of any landings.
    • CommentAuthorJoey Volpe
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2010 edited

Just finished building a few for this year. Improved method of mounting skis on frame and new pegs using old pedals. No welding needed, but not build to do any serious jumping or tricks. Good for mild rides... a lot of cheap familly fun. Have plans for building 2 next year that will be able to jump and take a lot of abuse. If I can help on any way don't hesitate to send me a message.

See this post for the 2010 models:

https://velospace.org/node/33969

The 2009 model is the picture and link above.

Have a good one!

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.