velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

what grips do you like the best?
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2010

Grips for what?
    • CommentAuthorstinky pete
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2010 edited

Daper Dan leather

& the old ODI attack's
    for risers
    Wrapped with bar tape. I don't know why more people don't do it. I think it looks really cool, they're easier to take off if you need to swap levers, and they come in a huge variety of colors and patterns.
    • CommentAuthorwaltsmith

Oury grips work nicely with risers
    • CommentAuthoralbieish

Animal Edwin grips.

/thread.
    You know what I love about people saying "/thread"? It almost always means that they don't know what they're talking about. It's like they've put up a little flag that says, "I don't care what your needs are, so here's this underconsidered response that you can ignore!"

It's a public service, really.
    Posted By: Joshua A.C. NewmanWrapped with bar tape. I don't know why more people don't do it. I think it looks really cool, they're easier to take off if you need to swap levers, and they come in a huge variety of colors and patterns.

Bar tape on risers is the closest thing to a pussy magnet you can put on your bike.
    If you're an aggressive rider, I'd suggest Oury lock-on grips. They lock on to the bar with small clamps so they won't twist around or get gummy when they heat up, don't need to be glued on or any of that nonsense, and their size and feel are good on bumps.

Posted By: Joshua A.C. NewmanWrapped with bar tape.

I find that, when cork/gel bartape is used on such a small space, it will come loose and separate way too much. Especially when the bar is being used for tricks and over lots of bumps. Is there some magic way to wrap it to prevent this?
    i've heard of people wrapping electrical tape around the bars so the sticky side is up and then using the wrap. never actually done wrap on risers myself but i've seen it. they usually wrap it with something more like (synthetic) leather and go fairly close to the stem, which is about as much length as you'd wrap bullhorns, really. if i come across an example i'll let you know.
    • CommentAuthorreza

I use to wrap my bars with that neon colored vinyl ribbon you can get at hardware stores. It doesn't really add anything in a practical sense, but it's got panache.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

For anything flatbar/riserish, Ergon. Always. The rubber is stiffer than most ergo-shaped grips, so it doesn't smush when you tighten your grip; this means that your hand maintains its ergonomic position. I started using these when I developed some nerve damage in my right* hand; the grips relieved the pressure on the ulnar nerve.

They're sized, so you can get grips that actually fit your hand. The sizing is women/men, instead of small/large, but there's no functional difference between the sizes, and no cosmetic difference except a different contrasting color in the two-tone rubber (the lighter shade of gray rubber is darker in the large size than in the small size; it's an extremely subtle difference). I wear Size 9 gloves, and I'm on the borderline between the two sizes; I ride women's size comfortably, because the men's size feels a lot chunkier under my palm.

They're available online for $25-35, depending on the model. Performance and REI carry them in retail outlets; Performance regularly has the GP1 model on sale for just over $20. I live about a mile from a big REI, which has a monthly members' used gear sale; I've gotten used Ergons for about $10 in those sales.

*CORRECTION: Left hand. It's been gone long enough that I spaced on which hand it was. The ulnar nerve runs from your little finger up the outside of your forearm; the carpal nerve runs from the pad between the thumb and forefinger up the inside of your arm. This is the nerve that's lunched when you have carpal tunnel syndrome, which you often get from typing/mouseclicking with your first few fingers.
    Hey eaglerock! If you have a spare, used set of Ergons, I'd definitely trade you those for the Velox! (I would do a smiley face here, but I fucking hate that.)
    I've been meaning to try them more long term. Of course, I don't have a working bike with flat bars right now, so....
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: suicide_doorsHey eaglerock! If you have a spare, used set of Ergons, I'd definitely trade you those for the Velox! (I would do a smiley face here, but I fucking hate that.)
    I've been meaning to try them more long term. Of course, I don't have a working bike with flat bars right now, so....

Not at the moment, but the mustachization of the VooDoo is in the cards...that is, as soon as I can find a set of Shimano SL-BS77 9-speed barcons and a set of long-pull road levers at a digestible price. When that finally happens, the Ergons can probably go on walkabout.
    I bought a set of BS77s used for about $50. I have yet to cable them up to make sure they're fully functional and one of the compression bolts is fucked, so it's a good thing I'm going to be using them on Thumbies. I keep hopping between running drops or base bars on my road bike........... I have the parts and bits for each, so there isn't anything holding it back except me.
    edit- I take that back, I still need a black 1 1/8, 26.0 stem with little to no drop and a length of no more than 90mm. Anyone? I'LL TRADE YOU SHIT!

And for the next build I'm debating mustache or a VO Milan. Not exactly similar, I know.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: suicide_doorsI still need a black 1 1/8, 26.0 stem with little to no drop and a length of no more than 90mm. Anyone? I'LL TRADE YOU SHIT!

Depending on your definition of "little to no drop", I may have as many as three of these, from the period when I was collecting shorty stems. I was looking at them the other way, flipped as riser stems, but I suppose you could flip them back. What do you have to trade, Effendi? Note: I do not find fixed gear-specific items at all interesting.
    Posted By: eaglerockI do not find fixed gear-specific items at all interesting.

I never had any doubt about that one. I'll PM you.
    • CommentAuthorncecchi
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2010

Oury.
    Made proudly in Oury, Colorado. the factory is cool. used to rock em hard when I raced BMX and they are great - especially the lock-ons mentioned previously.

...and wrapped riser look incredibly sick, but aren't so practical i've found.
    I just installed an old Titec riser and some Oury lock-ons on my Rush.. They'll have to stay until I receive my new Syntace bar. I couldn't stand the Airwing any longer, and the VO Porteur bar just doesn't work on a fixed gear (duh, I know).

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.