velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

im trying to build a mild trick bike so im trying to put a volume fu manchu fork on a pake frame and i was wondering what a good headset i should go with i was looking at this but not sure if it would fit

http://store.citygrounds.com/store/product/2519/FSA-Impact-Internal-Threadless-Headset-1-1-8%22-Black/

if not please point me in the direction of a good headset thanks.
    SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!
    ANY CHEAP HEADSET WILL WORK IT DOESNT NEED TO BE EXPENSIVE!!!!!!1111111
    • CommentAuthorMancha150
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2010

just get one of the cane creek integrated headsets. they go for about 25, and they will look better with your fork than a non integrated one. It comes stock on a lot of low end bikes and works just fine.Also easy to clean and maintain, in my opinion.
    Uggggh, Christ.

Okay, well…. the last Pake I owned, was a 1" headtube, and came with a 1" threadless fork, with an EXTERNAL headset.

Secondly, maybe I'm mistaken, but the Volume frames have a 1 1/8" fork with a INTERGRATED headset.

YOU CANNOT PUT A INTEGRATED HEADSET ON A FRAME THAT IS MADE FOR A EXTERNAL (NON-INTERGRATED) HEADSET.
    YOU CANNOT PUT A 1 1/8" FORK INTO A 1" FRAME HEADTUBE.

Granted this is an old Pake, it has a 1" threadless, external headset. If it's a brand new 2010 steel Pake, it has a 1 1/8" external threadless headset.
    Shhhhhhhhhhh!!!

also Fu Manchu comes in 1inch too but you cant use it without an integrated headset
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

ooopppssss i didnt even notice the frame was pake pake. I was thinking of the volume frames. Damn Ryan and his superior knowledge
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

most of the cheaper aluminum frames take integrated headsets though, right? I am just thinking of my bowery and the leaders/visps
    Posted By: bensonisajewFu Manchu comes in 1inch too but you cant use it without an integrated headset

Is there ANY frames with a 1" headtube, that take a integrated headset? None that I know of.
    • CommentAuthorquidose

Posted By: Mancha150most of the cheaper aluminum frames take integrated headsets though, right? I am just thinking of my bowery and the leaders/visps

Most frames with a 1-1/8" headtube (which are quickly becoming the majority) use integrated headsets, not just the cheap ones.
    yea the pake i have is a 2010 1-1/8 so should i still going with the integrated headset because of the fu manchu fork? thanks for all the help so far by the way.
    Internal headsets will work wouldnt it?
    http://chrisking.com/files/pdfs/Int20HeadsetsExplained.pdf
    Ugggh.

Is it the steel PAKE frame, or the aluminum PAKE frame?

The new steel frames take a 1 1/8" threadless EXTERNAL cups. The new aluminum frames take a INTEGRATED headset, Cane Creek standard size.

Learn the difference between a INTEGRATED headset and a INTERNAL headset. Neither Pake frame takes a INTERNAL headset, (which has internal cups that press into the frame).

By the way… ALL of this information can be found by looking at PAKE website at the frame information. It's ALL there.
    Whoops! What was I thinking(I just woke up)

Edit: As you can see with the info with Intergraded headsets (which I was blind to see for a second) those internal cups wont fit.
    yea its a steel frame sorry if this pissing you guys off, this is my first build. ill be looking for an EXTERNAL headset now for my build. if you guys can find me a good one for my frame/fork combo that would be appreciated thanks.
    There are tons of external 1 1/8" threadless headsets on the market. It was not long ago that nearly ALL bikes were this standard headset. Now they been replaced by the integrated headsets.

So, top of the line would be a KING headset. Just down from that would be Cane Creek 110 or 100.

Middle of the line, would be Crank Brothers Cobalt (which I personally ride), or a few different Cane Creek headsets.

Others would be FSA, Ritchy, and Aheadset.

Basically, pick your price range and color. All headsets are going to do the same thing. Preferably, get one with sealed bearings.
    thanks man

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.