velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorreza
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2010

I go on a ride every night, usually around 20 miles, if I'm feeling frisky sometimes I go up to 40. I always ride on A1A, which is a two lane road going up the east coast of florida, and the few lights are 3 way intersections, so I never have to need to stop, and rarely slow down. On these rides I got the feel for fastest speed I can maintain, and I keep at it.

Tonight I went on a ride after a 3 day hiatus, which is pretty unusual for me, and I noticed the gear felt alot easier. So naturally I started sprinting and I managed to max out my gear (what I call getting the cadence to the point where I can't go any faster, is there term for this?) something I haven't been able to do before on this ratio. I switched from a 18 to a 14 cog a few weeks ago.

Anyway, my question, did this break give my muscles a much needed break to heal? If so it would seem taking breaks will make you stronger faster than riding hard everyday, which kinda blows my mind. Can any you guys give me some clarity on this, I know alot of you have some knowledge with training routines and stuff like that.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2010

Well yeah, resting is good for you. Riding hard and often is the best way to build up endurance and speed. Your best performance is never going to be the day after a hard ride though.

In general, you reach your athletic peak by training soft, increasing intensity, doing a short tapering off period, and a short period of doing nothing but concentrating on your nutrition.

Your muscles need time to repair. You need to replenish your energy. Your mind needs a break.

Keep doing what you are doing. You dont need to be concerned with your exercise schedule unless you are racing or feeling excessively run down.
    Totally.

The biggest risk I've discovered from too much of a break (as when traveling with family for several days or whatever) is that I loose my apparent ass calluses and it gets uncomfortable.
    • CommentAuthorncecchi
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2010

just remember, you gotta ride everyday for the breaks to mean anything when you take them. if you have an event coming up, break 2 days before, go on a really light ride with some intervals the day before, rest up, and go out and kill it on race day. or charity ride day. or alleycat day. or whatever the hell you are doing. just have fun doing it.

also incorporate intervals into your training, you can't be spinning at max sprint your entire ride, so at times take it up to your max sprint then slow back down to your max sustainable cadence for long distance riding. do this throughout your ride and you will see your max sustainable cadence rise.

also it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a really simple computer - the cateye ones are only like $30 and they let you see what your performance is doing instead of "feeling it"
    it defonetly helps me, if i been riding hard evry day for weeks, end up not riding for a few days and i feal alot more energetic, like the winds behind or something, always feals a lil easier, guess the not being completely sore helps to...
    • CommentAuthorMaxThrash
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2010

Posted By: wes m.Well yeah, resting is good for you. Riding hard and often is the best way to build up endurance and speed. Your best performance is never going to be the day after a hard ride though.

Worth pointing out the Graeme Obree beat the hour record the day after his first attempt. He reportedly spent the night in-between working his muscles to prevent them from tensing up.
    • CommentAuthorncecchi
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2010

As well as when Merckx beat the record... he fell far short the first day and murdered it the second day.
    • CommentAuthorparkman14
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2010

You can't really build muscle without a rest day, the building mostly happens ON the rest day when it rebuilds.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Posted By: parkman14You can't really build muscle without a rest day, the building mostly happens ON the rest day when it rebuilds.

Boobies.
    • CommentAuthorparkman14

Tyler, you're psycho.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

That's right. I'm sure a lot of my humor would confirm that too.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.