velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthoryobaby
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2010

yo

Quick question about the intricacies & pitfalls of buying a frame from a seller outside of the ebay channel. I'm wondering whether paypal still offers protection in case you don't receive the frame? has anyone dealt with this kind of transaction before and if so are there any precautions i should take?

Id appreciate any helpful advice and feedback

thanks
    no from what I know if you're not making a transaction through a legitimate site, such as ebay, paypal can't really do anything if the guys decides he wants to jiff you.

Make an agreement where you pay half as a show of good faith and then he can send you the frame. Then once you get the frame, pay the other half and he can send you the fork. Obviously it doesn't have to go down exactly like this, but if the guys is legit he'll try to figure out a way to get the transaction done. Also if he's sold frames to other ppl, have him give you refs that you can contact. There's always risk involved when you go outside buy/selling websites. He can't set up a private auction for you?

Also you can pay by e-check so if something goes awry you can always cancel the check within a certain time window
    • CommentAuthorgridplan
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2010 edited

Like the previous poster said, you're not covered by Paypal. Reputable sellers don't do what he's proposing. If he even owns the item, he's trying to avoid paying eBay the final value fees they're owed on the sale. Paypal, a subsidiary of eBay, is not going to be the least bit sympathetic if the transaction goes badly.
    • CommentAuthordeermatt

Sorry, but neither of the previous posts are correct. All paypal purchases are covered . If you don't get your frame, you file a dispute. You both say your side, and if he cannot provide an accurate tracking number and info on the shipment , you get your money back .
    I've sold several frames over the years using CL/Pal but only bought one complete bike that way. Deermt sounds right but Paypal's non-ebay coverage is vague, but a dispute would likely suspend the person's account- so you have plenty of leverage.
    Precautions: Ask some knowledgeable questions about what you're buying, get good pictures, and their phone number so you can have a chat about the transaction. Anyone who is legit and motivated to ship should freely provide these. Finally, have the seller invoice you through paypal, stating what you are buying and what is included in the deal(other parts, shipping details, etc.) so everything is on record if there is a problem. Mentioned above, I would also insist on insured shipping with tracking.
    • CommentAuthoryobaby
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2010 edited

great thanks for replies, reticentremedy: I'll go your route on this onem, I've also emailed Paypal so hopefully they can shed more light on this. I'll post what they say for any else who may be interested.

edit: just received an email from paypal and it's super vague and uninformative, not sure if they deliberately misunderstood what i was asking but you guys sure as hell understood. I'll call them tomorrow..
    • CommentAuthordeermatt

I bought a frame on another forum, things went south , i filed a claim, and sent the frame back. I provided tracking and paypal made him refund the money. I've been dealing with paypal for about 6 years. Im a premier member.
    Posted By: deermattSorry, but neither of the previous posts are correct. All paypal purchases are covered . If you don't get your frame, you file a dispute. You both say your side, and if he cannot provide an accurate tracking number and info on the shipment , you get your money back .

This is accurate. As a buyer, you should have a confirmed address, and make sure you follow all the instructions Paypal gives you, and you will be fully protected. As a seller, you must ship to the address provided, you much use tracking, and you must be able to prove that the package arrived at the destination. For something like a frame, I would use FedEx (I don't like UPS), and make sure that you select the receiver signature option (that way no one else can sign for it and the buyer can't claim that it was stolen).

I've done this several times and never had an issue.
    well i guess things have changed. Back when I was using it and when it wasn't that popular paypal didn't cover you for sh*t. But what happens if the individual decides he wants to take the money and close out his account? Is paypal gonna track him down some how or are they gonna pay out their pockets? That's the question.
    • CommentAuthordeermatt

Paypal's rules have always been the same. Paypal is linked to a bank account and will do everything it can to refund money. Its pretty simple.. If you don't feel safe using it, then don't...

\

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.

velospace | About | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | contact | blog | status | site map | ©ActionHub.com
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.