velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

i've just always been curious, but what's the purpose for frame pads that go on your top tube (or anywhere else for that matter)? are they just for looks?
    • CommentAuthorwowzah
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2009 edited

some hipster thought it up one night after bad sushi and too many pbr's and a bmx nightmare
    • CommentAuthorAaron C
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2009

most likely because so many of us are from the bmx generation. i rode a homemade one on one of my bikes for quite some time mostly because i grew up being forced to use a top tube protector for bmx racing. they are also nice to protect your frame when you lock up and even for handle bar swing dents.

some of it is definitely just fashion but i grew up with frame pads (and gooseneck pads) on my bmx. its hard to get out of that mindset.
    • CommentAuthorhenrydec1
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2009

i use one because i lock my bike off the top tube often and if you have a frame pad the paint stays was nicer. plus it keeps dents out of you're top top tube. i know they look dumb but worth it.
    depending on how you pull it off it can look dumb or good. but that make sense with the whole locking from the top tube.
    • CommentAuthorgreg
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2009

proper use of frame pads.
    Those dippy things are the counterpart of those "bras" they put on the front end of cars. Which raises the question, "Why no car "panties"?
    Posted By: nailhead tomThose dippy things are the counterpart of those "bras" they put on the front end of cars. Which raises the question, "Why no car "panties"?

Wow, instant Cannondale in three easy steps... That’s just too easy!
    • CommentAuthordarkclark
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2009 edited

well this is just a random thought but when i was first learning to skid stop i got some wicked bruises from my top tube maybe someone was looking for a way around that but in all reality a large portion of the track bike industry is just fashion
    Its to protect the paint job.
    • CommentAuthoro_O
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2009

Posted By: ImATrackstarIts to protect the paint job.

i never understood this. what's the point of protecting the paint job if you cant see it?
    • CommentAuthortitanium
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2009

Bmx.It was thought to protect your Balls.
    • CommentAuthorOtto Rax

if you live in a high rise, it makes it more comfrotable for carrying up stairs. it covers up the brand so it is less targeted by thieves. it protects the top tube from getting dimpled by your handlebars if you fall, it protects your balls if you don't know how to feather a front brake, it allows you to recycle by not throwing away the extras from insulating your pipes, its one more places for "customizing" your conversion to look mroe messenger, it. that is every conceivable reason i can think of - i still dont use one
    • CommentAuthorLyKqiD

I spray paint my bikes and usually the top tube pad is the only thing that will make the paint job actually look good for more then a week of locking up around the city. Frankly, some are gaudy, but I think they are meant to be. I am a firm believer in top tube pads, and anyone that paints their own bike should invest as well, 15 dollars worth of fabric and foam is worth a whole lot less to me then tearing down my entire bike again to repaint.

what's the point of protecting the paint job if you cant see it?

Because fabric doesn't chip or scuff like the paint underneath would... So at least the pad always looks good.
    Posted By: morethanwords777i've just always been curious, but what's the purpose for frame pads that go on your top tube (or anywhere else for that matter)? are they just for looks?

just found this, thought it was pretty interesting.

I like the advantages of them:
    easy to carry
    protects teh nuts
    prevents from scratches
    aesthetics

Anyone know the cheapest place to get them?
    • CommentAuthorquidose
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2010

Stop being ridiculous.
    ?
    • CommentAuthorwes m.
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2010

Are lots of people hitting their nuts on road bikes nowadays?
    on a fixed gear its very possible

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.