velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorwhipithard
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2010

help me understand what the tubing is from these pictures.. i know they are shitty conditon but maybe someone will recognize them...

any help would be nice
    • CommentAuthorkirke

Check it out, courtesy of the fabulous Italian Cycling Journal:
    http://italiancyclingjournal.blogspot.com/2009/12/oria-steel-tubing-for-frame-building.html
    I've never seen a Ciocc with Oria, but have seen other Italian frames (including several Pinarellos, an Olmo, and a Bianchi--I think) use it. I remember seeing a chart posted on BF a year or two ago with exact specs on diameter and thickness, I'm sure you could Google it. I don't know how it measures up against better known tubing from that era without the chart, but they had a range of qualities, the only two of which I have seen are ML 25 and ML 34. Anyway, it's legit stuff.
    • CommentAuthorwhipithard

said meant to rival columbus now my question is did it hold its own or not. i cant say ive ever heard of it
    Well, steel is steel, for the most part. I'd be willing to bet that both companies sourced from the same suppliers. Bike steel is about thicknesses and flavors, and as far as I know, Oria held its own in the 80s and early 90s. They're still around today, so they must have done something right.
    • CommentAuthorgreg
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2010

Daccordi also used Oria tubing on occasion (the two TT frames I owned appeared to use the same Oria set)

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.