velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

I'm looking to replace the stock stem on my 2010 IRO Mark V Pro. I'm really looking for something that feels more rigid than what I have. Both of the stems have about the same rise/drop so geometry isn't something that's factoring into the question. My bars are Nitto rb-018s which are 26mm. I haven't heard any convincing arguments for not using a shim (the torelli is 31.8). Does anyone have any experience with either of these stems or heard general opinions about them?
    well I know nothing about either stems but I know nitto makes quality stuff, and since you have the bars it might be nice to get the nitto.

as far as shimming your bars, i have no experience with that either, BUT I will tell you this. You might want to get the 31.8 because in case one day you ever get some bars in 31.8 you would be able to use them.

Im pretty sure there is nothing wrong with shims but I could be wrong
    get the nitto. no reason to shim if you dont need to. As far as how rigid it fells or quality goes you wont tell a difference between the two.
    • CommentAuthorkirke
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2010

I have a Nitto UI-5GX which is the same as the UI-5EX except for the finish. The 5EX is more of a polished silver and the 5GX is more of a brushed aluminum. It is hard to find a nice silver threadless stem these days and the Nitto is a fine example. Velo Orange makes a similar stem, and a little cheaper too. However, while the Nitto is a high quality stem, I don't know how stiff it really is compared to other road offerings by Ritchey, FSA, etc. With the Nitto, you are really paying for the good machining and quality finish, not light weight or stiffness.
    • CommentAuthorJesse C

Do not shim 26.0 bars to 31.8, they will slip, and you will die.

Do not listen to FixedGearFix, he is a moron.
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2010 edited

Posted By: Jesse CDo not listen to FixedGearFix, he is a moron.

and perma-banned, along with the other accounts coming from the same ip
    Posted By: Jesse Cand you will die.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

*shrugs*

It happens.
    though veggie may not be swayed by the argument (likely because he is already a vegetable), not dying is high on my priority list. Thanks for the feedback. I'll probably be going with the Nitto based on their overall reputation and for the sake of consistency. I'll throw some pics up soon.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2010

Posted By: veggie

*shrugs*

It happens.

Yeah; but only once*. Are you sure you want to waste it on a Frankensteined bar/stem assembly?

* Unless you're a cat. Or a Buddhist.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Posted By: beastmaster303likely because he is already a vegetable

You are what you eat. So I guess that makes me a Vegetable. Now would be a good time to whore out my mom's vegan cooking blog. http://chezcayenne.blogspot.com/

Posted By: eaglerockOr a Buddhist.

Its funny that you said that. When I was in boyscouts a few years ago, I used to say I was a Buddhist to get out of anything religious that might get hurdled my way. Also whenever it was time to pray for some shit, you wouldn't be able to find me.
    • CommentAuthorsfbee

Posted By: Jesse CDo not shim 26.0 bars to 31.8, they will slip, and you will die.

I've never done this (and never would), but I have a friend who has been shimming 26.0 to 31.8 for quite some time, and he hasn't died yet.

Do not listen to FixedGearFix, he is a moron.

QFT
    • CommentAuthorkirke

Your Mom has a vegan cooking blog? Coolest family ever.
    Posted By: kirkeYour Mom has a vegan cooking blog? Coolest family ever.

I've been saying that for a while.
    • CommentAuthorsfbee

That is awesome. Totally gonna hit it up for some recipes.
    • CommentAuthorJesse C

Your mom's blog is rad.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.