velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorstinky pete
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2009 edited

There, I said it.

Don’t take me wrong, I like fixed gear bikes. They are the purest form of bicycle there is. But as I go through page after page if thumbnails here, I see so many once fine road bikes, many of them classics in there own right, hacked into no more than something with fluorescent green spray painted deep-dish rims. Did the person know what they had before they took an angle grinder to all those braze on’s? As I see it, many of those thumbnails of fixie’s fall into this category.

I know true track bike frames are not a dime a dozen, that it’s far easer to just do something with that old road bike you’ve got. It may have already been striped of its component group and will likely never be what it once was. “Why would I want to go through all the hassle and expense of doing it right when I can hack together what I want and have a me-to bike like everyone else?”

Yes, that is the question…
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2009

there are people who do it horribily, but then there are others who do it elegantly. This older gentleman in Las Vegas owns a few older Merckx bikes. one of them he keeps as a road bike with all original campy super record. the other he swithces back and forth between super record and record pista (complete with sherrif stars). Keeps the brakes on. it loos classy as shit.

but there are definitely people who destroy bikes. i've seen colnagos, pinarellos, paramounts, and other amazing road frames treated like shit and it breaks my heart.
    • CommentAuthorgreg

If someone rides their bike they're cool with me
    • CommentAuthorsfbee

I suppose I'm some what guilty of this. I've recently purchased two early eighties steel trek frames with the intention of building them up as my first fixed gear bikes (one for an every day beater, and another I plan on taking my time building up as I learn a bit more about which components would benefit me more). Only one of them had braze ons on the top tube, which I have no intentions of taking off. I've left the original paint job in place with a little touching up of rust/scuffs here and there using touch up paint from an auto store.

I know I could of gone out and bought a track frame, but I'd rather get my feet wet with a bike that I can pick up on craigslist for 70 bucks and convert. Once I've learned the ropes of riding fixed and have figured out which geometry would be right for my hefty petite ass, I'll probably invest in an actual track frame. I realize this might not be 'doing it right', but I'd rather have a cheaper bike that I can use for trial and error before spending a notable amount on something nicer

I definitely won't be taking a rattle can to the bike or it's rims though... that's just tacky. I appreciate the character of the older frame and it's somewhat faded decals/badges
    • CommentAuthorfilthpunx

i understand what you mean. im in love with TRACK bikes myself, but there are so many gorgeous rode bikes people have slautered. it makes me a little sick. why throw a campy groupo in the trash for formula hubs and sugino messenger cranks?
    • CommentAuthorjam guy

I hate the word "fixie." Makes you sound like a "want to be" bike nerd.

Posted By: jam guyI hate the word "fixie." Makes you sound like a "want to be" bike nerd.

Sorry, seems to be what they are calling these types of bike around my area these days. Personally, I prefer the term “fixed gear’ or “track bike”. Please feel free to use any term you like though…

And under stand that I figured I would piss some people off with my opinion on “hacked together” bikes. I meant no malice by this. I look back on my younger days when I did much the same… I respect those who ride, who do it for the pleasure and happiness only a bicycle can bring, and wish only to join those of you here that share my bike passion.

Peace bro.
    • CommentAuthorjam guy

Posted By: stinky pete
    Posted By: jam guyI hate the word "fixie." Makes you sound like a "want to be" bike nerd.

Sorry, seems to be what they are calling these types of bike around my area these days. Personally, I prefer the term “fixed gear’ or “track bike”. Please feel free to use any term you like though…

And under stand that I figured I would piss some people off with my opinion on “hacked together” bikes. I meant no malice by this. I look back on my younger days when I did much the same… I respect those who ride, who do it for the pleasure and happiness only a bicycle can bring, and wish only to join those of you here that share my bike passion.

Peace bro.

Hacking together bikes is great! I do it all the time. I have soooo many projects in my living room right now.
    • CommentAuthorianmichael
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2009

i dont care for the way most road to fixed conversions look, and thats because a road bike is not suppose to be a track/fixed machine. i'm no high brow biker by any means, but i would never convert a classic road bike to a fixed gear. i commute on a track bike because i like the purity and ease of maintenance, but i'm young and as i get older i'm looking forward to riding geared and working on something a little more advanced.

in the end i am happy to see more and more people riding bikes. trend or no trend, cycling is a beautiful thing and i am more than happy to share the road with a dozen cyclist (whatever they are riding) if that means half a dozen less cars.
    • CommentAuthorwowzah
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2009 edited

what the hell is a "want-to-be" fixie, either it's a fixed gear or it's something else
    the way i see it fixed gear bikes have segmented big time over the past 5 years
    you have the new school riders with aerospokes and bk, concepts, etc
    you still have the classic track bikes
    you still have the njs / keirin
    you have the conversions, which could be segmented further into: beaters, classics, modern, etc
    you even have cyclocross and some mountain bikers

mostly i just hate it when people just got into it and pretend to have been into it for years
    if you are a newbie, just be a newbie, no big deal... ride your f-ing bike
    but what the hell is a wannabe fixie, either it's fixed gear or its something else
    • CommentAuthorfastfixie

They're just bikes. When it comes down to it they are just steel, aluminum, c.f. whatever with wheels and tires and a chain. If they want to paint it with flourescent green paint, who cares? It's their bike they're doing it the way they want.

I do agree that it's good that more people are riding whatever the reason.
    • CommentAuthoro_O

Posted By: gregIf someone rides their bike they're cool with me

true dat.
    also, conversions are fun!
    • CommentAuthortyler215
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2009

a conversion feels like shit thou its not going to b the same you relly destroy the uality of the ride
    • CommentAuthorzerocool33
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2009

I agree with the "more bikes on the road" philosophy. Who cares who is a wannabe/poser or not? Just let the people ride.
    What's worse than seeing an old beau of a road bike stripped down into a fixed gear with Oury grips and fluorescent Velocity rims, is to see a wonderfully hand built pursuit style track frame turned into a beast with riser bars that reach the sky and a 650 front wheel to accommodate bar spins.
    • CommentAuthorwowzah
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2009 edited

half the bikes people [email protected] about wouldn't even be ridden if they weren't converted.... they'd be sitting around in some dudes garage, building up rust, instead someone likely went to great trouble to remove the rust and give it life again

i would never chop down a pristine classic road bike, but plenty a time i have found an old rusted reynolds 531 frame in some dudes garage, spent hours cleaning it up and regreasing all the parts. i guess at some point someone might convert some of these frames back to road bikes, and they will live on instead of going in the dumpster

Posted By: wowzahwhat the hell is a "want-to-be" fixie, either it's a fixed gear or it's something else
    the way i see it fixed gear bikes have segmented big time over the past 5 years
    you have the new school riders with aerospokes and bk, concepts, etc
    you still have the classic track bikes
    you still have the njs / keirin
    you have the conversions, which could be segmented further into: beaters, classics, modern, etc
    you even have cyclocross and some mountain bikers

mostly i just hate it when people just got into it and pretend to have been into it for years
    if you are a newbie, just be a newbie, no big deal... ride your f-ing bike
    but what the hell is a wannabe fixie, either it's fixed gear or its something else

I stand corrected Wowzah.

I guess the conversions from a multi-geared road to fixed gear bikes is what I was talking about.
    For example, if you’re Basso with the derailleur hanger were painted screaming orange with an aero spoke in front I’d put it into the “done wrong” column.
    You’re 71 Raleigh Track Professional, with only the front brake on the other hand, in my opinion, would most certainly go into the “done right” column. It comes down to personal taste I guess. If yours’ differs from mine hey that’s cool.

I didn’t start this discussion to criticize those who would do as I would not, merely to see if others shared my view on the matter.
    everyone that rides a bike is cool with me. the hate starts when individuals try to be someone they are not. When certain people pretend to have knowledge about the history of cycling but in their comments prove that they do not. When certain products become so commercial that their prices inflate even though their quality stays the same. When certain people disrespect other types of cycling without even knowing anything about them... most roadies will wipe a fixed gear rider on the street. Did I mention hills, cross country, mountain biking etc... Also a BMXer or an Art cyclist will beat the crap out of fixed gear trick wise. Nothing against fixed gear hipsters. They are cool as long as they behave respectfully towards the rest of the community.
    • CommentAuthorwowzah

you should post some of your bikes
    only fair if you want to breakdown an analysis on a stable of bikes

that basso was a rust bucket of a frame when i got it out of some dudes garage
    i think she would be grateful and happy even if i painted her sweet italian columbus steel orange
    she could be in a dumpster or land fill right now
    instead the basso has seen trails and multiple cities, and had another life after years in a dingy half moon bay garage
    if people are riding their bikes who the hell cares

many roadies aren't going to cherish old steel frames
    they have the latest and greatest carbon this and and that
    if they had a bike like that basso it would spend most of the time in the corner

i agree with aliderkrasse, it's all about respect
    many genres of biking are worth while

Posted By: wowzahyou should post some of your bikes
    only fair if you want to breakdown an analysis on a stable of bikes

that basso was a rust bucket of a frame when i got it out of some dudes garage
    i think she would be grateful and happy even if i painted her sweet italian columbus steel orange
    she could be in a dumpster or land fill right now
    instead the basso has seen trails and multiple cities, and had another life after years in a dingy half moon bay garage
    if people are riding their bikes who the hell cares

many roadies aren't going to cherish old steel frames
    they have the latest and greatest carbon this and and that
    if they had a bike like that basso it would spend most of the time in the corner

i agree with aliderkrasse, it's all about respect
    many genres of biking are worth while

I used bikes from your stable so that you and others reading this might understand my point better, no other purpose than that.
    You have done a fine job on the Basso, both in its resurrection and its new found life by your use.

Soon perhaps on the pictures of my bikes, I don’t have a digital camera of my own. When I do post some, I’ll also try to provide pictures of bikes I have overhauled for my bike friends as well. I’ll point out there’s from mine so there will be no confusion.

Till then, I bid everyone RESPECT…

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.