velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorSNEK
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2010

whos got one, and what do you think? Im interested in building a weel with one but want some feedback before investing in one.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Front or rear? I don't have one, I just think that would be some good info to tell people.
    • CommentAuthorSNEK

rear
    • CommentAuthordeermatt

I dont have one, but the theory was, bigger the hub, the stronger the wheel. You wont be able to tell a difference commuting, and probably not on the track either . They look really cool, but they're expensive . I think they all use Ti axles and ceramic hubs , I think I saw that on their site . If you got he money , go for it , but you wont feel like "wow I'm soo fast with this hub! "
    • CommentAuthorparkman14

i think they look dumb IMO, haha.
    i think people use them to build stronger wheels. But if you're building them to b43's you'll have like no spoke at all..it may be stiffer but i've read that that is kinda unsafe.
    i say go for it if you have the cash
    Heh, you can always tell when someone's using their phone to post.

The old Chub hubs had some horrendous problems with build and quality control. I honestly don't know how well the new ones hold up, but they're probably better than the old ones. That said, they're basically the metal spoked equivalent of an Aerospoke in terms of fashion over function. Yes, they're big; yes, they should allow slightly better power transfer and stiffness; yes, they look crazy. But they're super expensive, and you're going to notice squat in terms of real, measurable increases in stiffness and power. IMHO Chub hubs paint a big sign on your bike saying "I care more about what you think of my parts than I do about money or practicality. I don't know what I'm doing enough to buy the right parts for the job, don't talk to me unless you're a similar dumbass." Chump hubs.
    • CommentAuthorJesse C

I had no idea those ugly things were so expensive, you can get a set of Phils for that price.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

Has anyone ever had problems with these thing putting the spokes at a crazy angle? I cant imagine that nipples are meant to be pulled at that angle. Yeah, I just said that.
    • CommentAuthorDavidM10
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2010

I'm also planning on buying a chub hub.
    I just don't know if there's any big difference between my regular rim and the chub hub?
    Could some one tell me more details on how the performance changes having a chub hub or if it doesn't change at all?
    Thanks!
    • CommentAuthordeermatt

Posted By: DavidM10I'm also planning on buying a chub hub.
    I just don't know if there's any big difference between my regular rim and the chub hub?
    Could some one tell me more details on how the performance changes having a chub hub or if it doesn't change at all?
    Thanks!

I see you havent read any of the previous posts in this thread..
    • CommentAuthorDavidM10

most of them are just saying their expensive, but i know that already
    • CommentAuthordeermatt

Posted By: DavidM10most of them are just saying their expensive, but i know that already

No , you asked about their performance , and if there is a difference in feeling between the chub hub and regular hubs.. I wrote a big comment touching all of those subjects, so has suicide doors
    Posted By: DavidM10I just don't know...

Then, if I may ask, what the hell makes you think you need one?
    Posted By: DavidM10expensive, but i know that already

Oh, right. I should have guessed.

As I said, the Aerospoke of metal spoked wheels. You want it for looks, so why not just buy it and settle for not knowing your ass from a hole in the ground? Clearly that has gotten you this far.
    • CommentAuthorDavidM10

Ima get it then! haha.
    • CommentAuthormktng

get it for the looks.
    you're not gaining much from it.

imho i'd save the money... because for an average rider riding around town a chubb hub at 200$ + wont do shit all for you but make your rear wheel a thief magnet :P
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

It might help him score with asian hipster chicks, and isnt that what riding fixed is all about?
    • CommentAuthormktng

that too.
    • CommentAuthorelhephe

If you want a chub, just buy a disc. there's more space for stickers on a disc, and it's actually stiff and strong.

IMO
    • CommentAuthoro0 Corey 0o
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2010 edited

This kid I know has a chub to open pro. Ive ridden his bike a few times, and it felt super stiff. Not saying it was because of the hub obviously it could have been a combination of many things, but still. I can say that he had quit a few problems at first getting it all dialed in. for the first couple months he had it seems like he was always snapping spokes, maybe because of the crazy angle the spokes had to be at or something? not sure but it seems fine now. and If your getting it laced to a deep rim like b43 or h+son definitely do a 2x lacing.

Kinda makes sence that a big hub flange would equal a stiffer wheels.. but if you're just going to be forced to run a 2x or 3x anyway then I don't see how its different from a normal high flange hub laced 4x.
    • CommentAuthorslobscene

i think most of you guys got it. costly and not really gonna do much good (outside of getting some attention... like bike thieves.) if your looking for large radius hubs look at dura ace and phil wood??? well then again just ride what you like.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.