velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2010

Posted By: StrubbWhat kind of helmet is that he's wearing. I wonder?

At least he's wearing one.
    Theres a Levi's commercial that has a clip from "MASH" but I can't seem to find it.
    • CommentAuthorStrubb
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2010

Posted By: veggie
    Posted By: StrubbWhat kind of helmet is that he's wearing. I wonder?

At least he's wearing one.
    I only remarked because I liked that helmet and wanted to go and try to find one
    funny that the same people making these adverts are probly the stressed out dickheads cutting you off in traffic while there busy on there phone finding out whats the newest popular thing to make our company look fucking awsome!
    My favorite part is where he has to carry his bike uphill presumably due to an impossibly high gear ratio and the absence of a derailleur. I hope that messengers start bringing back beat-up mountain bikes and hockey helmets.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Posted By: Michael PerzMy favorite part is where he has to carry his bike uphill presumably due to an impossibly high gear ratio and the absence of a derailleur.

Yeah, I laughed at that too.
    • CommentAuthorcage

Posted By: brooklynbombsTheres a Levi's commercial that has a clip from "MASH" but I can't seem to find it.

I though it was a Dickies comercial.
    Posted By: veggie
    Posted By: Michael PerzMy favorite part is where he has to carry his bike uphill presumably due to an impossibly high gear ratio and the absence of a derailleur.

Yeah, I laughed at that too.

seriously... fergus crushes. he is a very cool guy and a badass messenger.
    Posted By: cage
    Posted By: brooklynbombsTheres a Levi's commercial that has a clip from "MASH" but I can't seem to find it.

I though it was a Dickies comercial.

Your right. It is a Dickies comercial.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Dickies?feature=pyv&ad=6475383916&kw=dickies&gclid=CO75s9yVqqQCFQE5gwodwhp15Q#p/u/0/Z4kCpGzGZQQ

Duh. Even if he had a derailleur, he wouldn't be going any faster than walking. I'll bet you bomb up those hills with your road bike, huh?
    Posted By: fixed international

Duh. Even if he had a derailleur, he wouldn't be going any faster than walking. I'll bet you bomb up those hills with your road bike, huh?

You just completely blew my mind.
    My pleasure. You're welcome.
    I'm going to remove my derailleurs tonight and mail them back to the manufacturer along with a sternly worded letter informing them that their "gear changing technology" is a colossal scam. Thanks.
    Posted By: Michael PerzI'm going to remove my derailleurs tonight and mail them back to the manufacturer along with a sternly worded letter informing them that their "gear changing technology" is a colossal scam. Thanks.

haha laughed pretty hard at this. I'm all for riding fixed gear bikes (i own two) but there is no argument at all about the practicality of gears...thats like asking a car to constantly run in 5th gear and try and beat a car in 1st or 2nd gear getting up that hill.
    Posted By: alex aka fresh
    Posted By: Michael PerzI'm going to remove my derailleurs tonight and mail them back to the manufacturer along with a sternly worded letter informing them that their "gear changing technology" is a colossal scam. Thanks.

there is no argument at all about the practicality of gears...

was this an argument about the practicality of gears?

my point is that there are situations where using your legs to locomote up a steeply graded hill would not be any less efficient than trying to mash a geared bicycle up it. therefore, the fact that said person in the commercial is walking his bicycle (geared or not) up a steeply graded hill in SF is not a shocker or a "boy, if that dumbass only had a geared bike..." moment.
    Posted By: fixed international

Thats why road cyclists walk their bike up hills when riding in the mountains. Bikes are obviously only designed for riding down hill and flat land.
    Posted By: fixed internationalwas this an argument about the practicality of gears?

I didn't think it was an argument about anything. I was simply highlighting one of a few already glaring ironies on display in that commercial. Also, if that ad is to serve any significant purpose apart from marketing mobile devices it is to herald the end times of bicycle courierdom. Seeing him flipping through browser tabs is like watching a condemned prisoner sharpen a guillotine.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2010

Posted By: Michael PerzAlso, if that ad is to serve any significant purpose apart from marketing mobile devices it is to herald the end times of bicycle courierdom. Seeing him flipping through browser tabs is like watching a condemned prisoner sharpen a guillotine.

And that's the absolute truth. For all the sentimentality that some cyclists (especially current and retired bike messengers) display for bike messengers, the profession is completely doomed.

Note that Fergus doesn't refer to himself as a "bike messenger"; he calls himself a "legal courier", meaning his primary occupation is carrying filings from the Embarcadero/Montgomery Street area (where all the big-money law firms are) to the Superior Court at City Hall in Civic Center (San Francisco is a city/county, so the city municipal court and the county superior court are the same), or the the Federal Courthouse on 7th Street, right across Market from Civic Center. The route between those two points is dead flat.

I worked for ten years in one of those big San Francisco law firms that used to hire couriers all the time, basically for no purpose other than to ferry documents back and forth the 1.5 miles between our office on the Embarcadero waterfront and the courthouses. In the early '90s, the Superior Court liberalized the filing deadlines: You no longer had to file your pleading by 6PM to meet the judge's deadline, because the court clerk started accepting filings until midnight. In my firm, that mostly meant that the senior associate attorneys (4-7 years in practice) who actually had to prepare those filings had six more hours to fiddle with them, commandeering junior associates (0-3 years)/paralegals (like Yr Hmbl Srvnt)/secretaries to satisfy their control-freakiness, so the partners wouldn't yell at them. And there was always a bike courier on call (with a walkie-talkie, a pager and a primitive cellphone) to get the document down to the court on time.

Courts insisted on getting documents on paper, with original ink signatures. Some courts specified acceptable ink colors for the signatures, and would refuse to accept filings signed in unacceptable colors; all courts required filings to be prepared with proper formatting. Most of our forms were formatted out as templates by the ladies in the Word Processing department. But for many less-frequently used pleadings, you had to go to the library, get the binder with the master forms in it, make a copy of the one you needed, return the master to the librarian and makes sure she acknowledged that you'd returned it, and then prepare your doc, trying to get the paper to line up correctly in the printer. Unfortunately, one document that wasn't transferred to the computer while I was there was the summons, a commonly-used document. I hoarded the last typewriter in the office in my workroom, just to fill in summonses.

In 2004, a pilot program started in the Oakland, CA office of the US Bankruptcy Court to accept filings electronically as PDFs. Each bankruptcy attorney in the district got a secure key to get into the court's dropbox, and each PDF had to be digitally signed. I think they probably started with the bankruptcy court (and the Oakland office) because they knew that most of the filings would be personal bankruptcies with small dollar values, most of the filers would be broke, and the creditors wouldn't bother to contest the filings. So, if the program failed, no harm no foul.

But now, most courts will accept digital filings, including San Francisco County Superior Court. The Northern District of California requires them, to wit:

Use of the Appellate ECF (Electronic Court Filing) system is now mandatory for all attorneys and all court reporters filing in this Court, unless they are granted an exemption from using the Appellate ECF system. Use of the Appellate ECF system is voluntary for all pro se parties proceeding without counsel.

So, why pay a dude on a bike to tote and fetch the manila envelope full of paper, when you can just open a browser and file the doc without getting out of your chair? It's cheaper, it's faster, it's more reliable (what happens if the messenger doesn't get to the court before the deadline? That used to happen), and it allows control-freak lawyers even more minutes to tweak the doc before they have to send it.

Fergus may be a cool guy. But if he's a smart guy, he's spending his free time looking for a completely different job; the one he has is turning to dust as he does it.
    He's probably picking up paper routes to make up for the lost income.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2010

Posted By: beastmaster303He's probably picking up paper routes to make up for the lost income.

Hes probably starring in blackberry commercials to make up for lost income. Seriously. The future is in selling "messenger culture" or whatever the hell they want to call it.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.