velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthormdpreston
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2010 edited

hey
    just recently bought my first fixed and I love it. Its a 2010 Windsor Clockwork. I'm already planning my next build, just wondering what you guys prefer as far as frames? The windsor is just a basic beginner fixed gear and has been great so far, but for my next one I wanna do a custom build from the ground up.
    • CommentAuthordeermatt
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2010

1. Please don't say fixie..

2. I'm not sure what you mean by "best" .. If you mean best commuter fixed gear bike, they are all about the same I guess. I would say the more slack geometry the better for commuting , it'll be more comfortable.. Now , if you mean best track frame, you're opening up a whole can of worms.

3. When you say "I wanna do a custom build" do you mean a custom frame? or just piecing together a bike ? If you're not riding track, you wont need the "best track parts". I would say the best commuter bike would be a mercier 3SX (3 speed rear fixed hub) , brooks saddle, a front brake .
    get the new leader mordecia

• CommentAuthorveggie

Posted By: FixedGearFix

You just love that frame, don't you?
    • CommentAuthormdpreston

"fixie has been corrected. Just for a commuter/around town bike. I wanna piece together a bike, rather than order a stock one.
    ok well then a kilo frame off bikeisland.com will be your best bet. Its a great commuter / around town bike. If you want something that you could be able to throw around more, then check the scrambler v2 on eighthinch.com.

kilo frame:

scrambler
    • CommentAuthormdpreston

thank you for the tips, Ill keep them in mind when the time comes around for bike #2
    • CommentAuthorveggie

kilo frame:

You have learned well.
    • CommentAuthordeermatt

I stand behind the idea for a commuter bike, a 3 speed fixed rear hub is very ideal .
    Posted By: deermattI stand behind the idea for a commuter bike, a 3 speed fixed rear hub is very ideal .

i agree completely but he wants to build it up from scratch, and I cant blame him
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Posted By: FixedGearFixi agree completely but he wants to build it up from scratch, and I cant blame him

Then he'll just have to buy that hub
    • CommentAuthordeermatt

yeah.. you can get this hub and build it up from scratch to a rim of your choice, on a frame of your choice.
    • CommentAuthormdpreston

i actually prefer single speed, but out of curiosity why do you recommend a 3 speed.
    • CommentAuthordeermatt

It would be a single speed in the middle gear, but having a easier gear for climbing hills and a harder gear for flats is the best of both worlds.
    Posted By: veggie
    Posted By: FixedGearFixi agree completely but he wants to build it up from scratch, and I cant blame him

Then he'll just have to buy that hub

i know but what i meant was that i didnt think he wanted to make it a 3 speed
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

Posted By: mdprestoni actually prefer single speed, but out of curiosity why do you recommend a 3 speed.

Because you can ride it more places.

There is no reason to buy a kilo frame if you already have a clockwork. A kilo frame is about 3% different than the clockwork frame.

Dont buy a leader unless you are trying to downgrade. If you are wondering why I say that you should use the forum search tool and find out what the general consensus on leader is.

You should strongly consider buying a road bike. You already have a decent fixed commuter. Building another one is beating a dead horse. With a road bike you can get into all sorts of new bike adventures.

If you insist on getting another fixed frame you should get something a step up from what you have. Consider soma, some of the iro's, surly, eai, and other stuff like that.
    • CommentAuthormdpreston

this is true, but the main places in which i ride are relatively flat, one of the reasons I like single speed is for the simplicity and low maintenance. It also just makes for a cleaner looking bike. I will be sure to ride a 3 speed though and see how I like it. Thanks to everyone for your input, it's appreciated.
    • CommentAuthordeermatt

yeah a road bike would be the best answer here. If you already have a single speed/ fixed gear. My next bike purchase will be a road bike for sure .
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

Posted By: deermatta road bike would be the best answer here.

Didn't learn anything during your time out, eh?

\

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.

velospace | About | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | contact | blog | status | site map | ©ActionHub.com
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.