velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthoriamashoe
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2010

Im trying to convert my old Rayleigh to a single speed but for the life of me can figure out how to get my rear derailleur off. Every other website has just mentioned unbolting it or using an allen key. Ive checked both on the inside and outside edge of it and it looked riveted on to me.

I'll try and put up some photos of it.
    • CommentAuthoriamashoe
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2010 edited

• CommentAuthoriamashoe

• CommentAuthoriamashoe

Having trouble getting a photo up any hints on that too?
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

I cant see how that thing is attached. Worst comes to worst, knock it off with a hammer.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Take a picture of the other side of the drive side dropout.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark

10:1 that grey circle is a plastic plug, or that whole D-shaped piece is plastic and covering the bolt. Take it off and see if there is an allen bolt under there. Or just spin the whole derailleur counterclockwise.

I think the internet is killing human beings' diagnostic skills. Pretty soon everyone will only be able to tap keyboards.
    • CommentAuthorper.k

We're pretty close already. That's why everyone needs smartphones :D
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit

By looking at the following pic, I would assume that the plastic piece is only a cover. Pull it off and you'll have access to the bolt as Skidmark stated above.

• CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: RuffinitBy looking at the following pic, I would assume that the plastic piece is only a cover. Pull it off and you'll have access to the bolt as Skidmark stated above.

That's exactly the case. Huret, being a French company, put fiddly plastic covers over their hanger bolts (which detach with an ordinary allen wrench) to make it more decoratif. In your case, there are two plastic covers: One over the derailleur hanger bolt, and one over the pulley fastening bolt.

I have one o'them derailleurs which I bought by accident (all steel, pretty clunky), plus two of the ones in Ruffinit's photo. If you get the covers off yours without busting them, I'd be willing to toss you a couple of bucks to drop them in an envelope, just to get mine complete.
    I think it's held on with unicorn semen.
    • CommentAuthoriamashoe
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2010

Thank you Ruffinit, Skidmark and eaglerock. It was exactly it, after years of grease and neglect the plastic looked deceptively well stuck on. but thankfully it popped right off (in once piece) and revealed allen bolt under there. Thanks to Skidmarks perceptive diagnostic and typing skills I can thankfully move on with my build.
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit

Good to hear and thanks for the followup
    • CommentAuthorheadydude

i was rooting for the hammer method
    I was hoping that it would be fixed with happy wishes.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2010

Posted By: Joshua A.C. NewmanI was hoping that it would be fixed with happy wishes.

Right, and that's why he didn't thank you...

(nyah nyah nyah)
    He should have. I'm the one who offered assistance based on magical wishes. When you stop believing, a little piece of you dies!
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

Posted By: Joshua A.C. NewmanHe should have. I'm the one who offered assistance based on magical wishes. When you stop believing, a little piece of you dies!

When Josh's cult is in full swing we all get to claim that we witnessed the beginnings.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: wes m.When Josh's cult is in full swing we all get to claim that we witnessed the beginnings.

Plus, we get to enforce orthodoxy with the lash, the spike, the gibbet and the pyre.
    You're thinking about the wrong kind of cult. Mine is the sexy kind*.

*... unless those things are sexy to you, in which case, cool, but everything's done with enthusiastic consent in my cult.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.