velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorJbherlihy
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2010 edited

I think the "crocodile clamping system" is actually pretty ingenious for getting new belts on there, I guess they remove that stainless part to open the rear triangle. I wonder how trek will answer this problem when one of those district's belts snaps...

edit: he said 20,000km which works out to 12,420mi! Thats pretty amazing, if its true that will last much longer than ANY chain...
    Having this setup would be very limited, as far as gear ratios go. Same thing as finding spare parts and getting it repaired.

Drive belts have been around for awhile now. I doubt they will ever catch on though because they just are not practical. What is the benefits? No oil needed and lighter? Big deal! What the the negatives? Limited gear ratios, cannot be serviced by shops (because they don't have these parts), wears out quickly, weaker and risk of breaking, etc etc etc.

I would not even THINK about getting one of these for a bike.
    • CommentAuthorcyciumx
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2010

The reviews I've read for belt drives...state the ease of maintenance, reliability and quietness of the whole drive train... but hey, you are entitled to your own completely non-factual opinion.
    • CommentAuthorJbherlihy
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2010

Posted By: terrible_one49Having this setup would be very limited, as far as gear ratios go. Same thing as finding spare parts and getting it repaired.

Drive belts have been around for awhile now. I doubt they will ever catch on though because they just are not practical. What is the benefits? No oil needed and lighter? Big deal! What the the negatives? Limited gear ratios, cannot be serviced by shops (because they don't have these parts), wears out quickly, weaker and risk of breaking, etc etc etc.

I would not even THINK about getting one of these for a bike.

The point of them isn't gear ratios. In fact I'm sure theyll never exist in any other manifestation other than fixed or singlespeed. If it will last upwards of 12,000 miles it will never need to be brought to a shop. And I think "maintenance-free" is pretty damn practical, especially for the many people who only like riding fixed or singlespeed and do so for the simplicity. If you ask me, this is a pretty legitimate step forward. I think the only issue is the way the frame needs to be altered/designed in order to fit one, but even then a solution exists.
    Posted By: cyciumxThe reviews I've read for belt drives...state the ease of maintenance, reliability and quietness of the whole drive train... but hey, you are entitled to your own completely non-factual opinion.

Yeah, it IS all those things. Absolutely, sure. However, it's not my "non-factual opinion" that belt drives are not common now, and getting parts for them or serviced at most shops would not be possible. Second, they state the low milage lifespan of them in the video. Third, you cannot get as large of a range of cogs and chainrings for them yet. Finally, my non-factual opinion is that there is no way this could hold up to track use, and the amount of stress a chain receives when riding a high gear ratio or in a hard sprint effort. Probably the reason they are making the gear ratios so low on them.

As for the advantages… is maintaining a chain and keeping it quiet really that hard? I find wiping off my chain and putting a few drops of oil on it very simple. It's much more difficult to overhaul a bottom bracket or tighten spokes, which I'm sure would still have to be done on this bike.

Anyway… I just don't think this is a good invention because the benefits are just not that great over a normal chain.
    • CommentAuthorBamfs01
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2010

A bike mechanic on pdxfixed said they had some bikes with belt driven drivetrains and after seeing so many come back, he'd never buy or use one. I can't find the post right now but whateves
    • CommentAuthorjakejazzy
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2010

there is a very famous saying that goes 'if it aint broke, dont fix it' the whole concept is retarded to me. there is a very good reason bicycle design has never really changed at all.
    There's a famous saying that you read the reasons something exists before saying it ain't broke. If commuters don't ride bikes because they're messy and fussy, this resolves those issues. (In theory, of course. I don't know how well it works.)
    • CommentAuthorwes m.
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2010

How do people manage to post custom frames on CL without even saying who made it?
    It's true. I'd jump on that thing if it were my size and I had $700 to offer.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2010

Posted By: suicide_doorsIt's true. I'd jump on that thing if it were my size and I had $700 to offer.

Two really huge "if"s; but the lugwork is nice.
    It's about the most odd mix of stuff I've seen in a custom frame. Well.. No, but it's a pretty odd mix.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.