velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

Lift the rear wheel from ground by picking up the saddle of your bicycle and give the left pedal a hard and quick half-turn spin, then count the number of the turns you will have before a complete stop of the rear wheel ; please let us know the number.

I got a 70' or 80's Precision PR6006 made-in-Canada mountain bike and the number I tested was 170. That's perhaps a main reason why I always like this over 30-year old bike. It is eager to go when you ride.

I tested a lot new bikes in the stores, both department stores and a couple of LBS's this way, they are all somewhere between 15 to 120 turns, even for brand names such as Trek, Giant, or Norco.

I trust that this could be the reason why other people here also like the old bikes but they may never notice this hidden difference which might be why old bikes do have the QUALITY.
    The way you're explaining seems like more of a way to test freehub/freewheel friction than bike quality... definitely not a comprehensive test.

Some high-quality hubs have higher freehub coasting resistance but this is because they have more pawls engaging the freehub to ensure faster and more secure drivetrain power. Plus who needs to coast anyway? If you're coasting you aren't going fast enough :P

In my experience freewheels (older style) have less frictional resistance than freehubs (modern), but this doesn't seem to be a major concern to the industry or the riders.
    this only partially tests the quality

I personally would not base a purchase off this alone. The hubs do not always have a bearing (pun intended) on whether or not the bike is good. For example the kilo does not have goob hubs, but the bike itself is very good.

Also on BMX bikes about 90% of the wheels that come on BMX bikes are crap no matter waht. The best way to get strong wheels is buy an aftermarket wheelset.

Some bikes may put more money into the development of the frames as opposed to the frames, with the idea in mind that the owners will change out the wheelset no matter what. It also works vice versa, like someone could be selling the crappiest frame on CL but with some cane creek wheels, and it might not be the best purchase
    Troll.
    • CommentAuthorstillthere
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2010 edited

I thought I was testing the efficiency of the drive trains.

My test result is an indicator that the drive train is very efficient which means more power output with less input pedaling power. Do you agree?

Yes it might be coasting/cruising test but decades ago when Car and Driver magazine tested quality of compact cars, they found Honda Civic had the most distance coverred on a track and field teting ground after switching to neutral shift at a given top speed. That means Civic is most fuel-efficient with its much optimized drive train and wheeling/braking systems.

The same goes with a bicycle. I believe.
    Posted By: stillthereHonda Civic had the most distance coverred on a track and field teting ground after switching to neutral shift at a given top speed. That means Civic is most fueal efficient with its much optimized drive train and wheeling systems.

Fuck honda go mistubishi
    Posted By: terrible_one49Troll.
    • CommentAuthorkneeeerow
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2010

omgsomuchsense
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit

+1 Fumingator
    A quick kick of a 165 crank will result in a different rear wheels speed than a 175 crank. Given that some wheels are heavier than others and given that you kick the wheel off at the same speed the centrifigal force will allow a heavier wheel to rotate a greater number of times given the same hub, which is why machinery that has to run smoothly at a given RPM will have heavier flywheels.
    Now given that the rims and tires are the same weight and the freewheel or freehub is equal, a sealed mechanism hub will not spin as freely as a non-sealed mechanism hub, but dependent upon what they're used for a sealed mechanism hub would be more desirable than a non-sealed mechanism hub.

In essence; this test is a test of the rolling resistance of the rear wheel and while it could equate to the quality of the wheel, it has nothing to do with the quality of the bike entotal.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

You arent testing drivetrain efficiency, you are testing coasting efficiency. Drivetrain efficiency would require figuring out how much force applied to the pedals contributes to forward motion and how much is lost to fritction/vibration/flex/etc. Your method doesnt take chain or bb efficiency into account.

Also... You are testing in a broken in bike and non-broken in bikes without quantifying the difference that breaking a bike in could make to bearing efficiency.

I could go on and on about how this doesnt make sense.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark

Posted By: FixedGearFix
    Posted By: stillthereHonda Civic had the most distance coverred on a track and field teting ground after switching to neutral shift at a given top speed. That means Civic is most fueal efficient with its much optimized drive train and wheeling systems.

Fuck honda go mistubishi

Fools. You can drive Toyotas into the ground.
    Posted By: SkidMark
    Posted By: FixedGearFix

Fuck honda go mistubishi

Fools. You can drive Toyotas into the ground.

what are you driving a toyota prius? My Galant could run laps around you at the track
    • CommentAuthorkneeeerow

he can run laps around your gas mileage
    20mpg : 40mpg. I win when it comes to replacing batteries. Every year you have to change out a certain battery and it costs $2000. So its $2000 a year on top of gas..... I win both ways
    • CommentAuthorkneeeerow

Posted By: stillthere
    Fuck mistubishi
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

Posted By: FixedGearFix20mpg : 40mpg. I win when it comes to replacing batteries. Every year you have to change out a certain battery and it costs $2000. So its $2000 a year on top of gas..... I win both ways

Eh, you sure about that?
    • CommentAuthorMu_Empire

Posted By: Ruffinit+1 Fumingator
    A quick kick of a 165 crank will result in a different rear wheels speed than a 175 crank. Given that some wheels are heavier than others and given that you kick the wheel off at the same speed the centrifigal force will allow a heavier wheel to rotate a greater number of times given the same hub, which is why machinery that has to run smoothly at a given RPM will have heavier flywheels.
    Now given that the rims and tires are the same weight and the freewheel or freehub is equal, a sealed mechanism hub will not spin as freely as a non-sealed mechanism hub, but dependent upon what they're used for a sealed mechanism hub would be more desirable than a non-sealed mechanism hub.

In essence; this test is a test of the rolling resistance of the rear wheel and while it could equate to the quality of the wheel, it has nothing to do with the quality of the bike entotal.

Exactly. Even a half turn of a crank can have various levels of torque which can affect rotations. Stillhere is freaking high, what a bunch of nonsense. What if somebody put a chris king rear hub with a white industries freewheel and put it on a huffy?
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark

Hubs that are a little loose and have no grease in them will spin for a long time too.
    Posted By: kneeeerow
    Posted By: stillthere
    Fuck mistubishi

worst attempt at a non-existant quote

kiss my v-6, cold air intake, flomaster exhaust, ASS

LOL

Posted By: wes m.
    Posted By: FixedGearFix20mpg : 40mpg. I win when it comes to replacing batteries. Every year you have to change out a certain battery and it costs $2000. So its $2000 a year on top of gas..... I win both ways

Eh, you sure about that?

yep
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

Are you super duper sure? My lady friend has one so I happen to know the batteries are guaranteed for something like 8 years/100k. She has had the car for years without needing to change out batteries.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.