velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorMRE
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2010

Hey,

What is the difference between a pursuit style frame and a regular geometry track frame?
    Front end is lower and longer seat tube usually on the pursuit frame than a regular track geo. Also pursuit usually takes a smaller front wheel rather than a regular track bike that takes 2 700c wheels
    • CommentAuthorYo

There are 700c offerings as well. Affinity Lo Pro, '99 KHS Aero Track, plus many many more.

You don't have to run a 650 if you want a pursuit.
    Affinity Lo Pro are not pursuit frames.
    • CommentAuthorYo

Maybe I missed something directly off their website, wiseass.

"Affinity Cycles classic Lo Pro is the heart of our frame line up. An original take on pursuit style geometry, by creating a steep lo pro frame which is fast and aero yet comfortable to ride. A sick race, or street track bike, the Lo Pro has its distinctive sloping top tube and our Affinity 1 inch fork. The Lo Pro is available in four sizes, 650c xs, 700c S, M and L."
    And just so people know, the Lo Pro and MASH are NOT an aggressive "pursuit" style frame. It's actually fairly more relaxed, compared to some dedicated track frames. The sloping top tube is just an "aesthetic pursuit" geometry, meaning the headtube is no lower than any other frame, but rather the seat tube is longer, so less seatpost shows.
    Although this looks cool, it's actually not what's desirable on a track frame. Notice the "compact geometry" on most modern road frames? The reason for that is because tighter triangles, and shorter seat tube makes for a slightly stiffer bottom bracket, however it's at the expense of having a longer seatpost. A longer seatpost, which would have more flex, has been proven to not affect power transfer, but rather is closer related to absorbing more road vibration and comfort (which is good, because it puts less strain on the rider). Now... a longer seattube, like that on the Lo Pro or MASH, will be the opposite. It will have a slightly less stiff bottom bracket area, and a stiffer seatpost, since less is showing, thus making a rougher ride with more flex in the bottom bracket region (which is what nearly ALL track riders don't want in a frame!) However, bike manufactures have of course beefed up the tubing and thickness in the area to take this matter into concern, I'm sure.
    Thanks terrible_one49, Ive hanged with the Affinity people and its a very comfortable ride but twitchy from short wheelbase and stuff but its not a pursuit its only for looks they dont ride aggressive like a pursuit.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

Pursuit frames weren't super aggressive to begin with, unless by agressive you just mean super low and tucked out of the wind. Since the frames were predominately used with tt/aero bars, the ht angle was actually slacker to accomodate the aero riding position. Modern tt/pursuit bikes havesteep st angles with slacker ht angles for the same reason. And if you've ever rode behind someone in the aero bars... you know why.
    • CommentAuthorMRE

I was asking out of curiosity...
    I'm no experienced rider or track racer, I currently ride a Kilo which i like a lot, and I find perfect for riding the streets... correct me if i'm wrong
    I do like the look of the Lo Pro, and it looks very compact, which i like..

So in terms of comfort and weight, is it suitable for street riding or will the geometry become uncomfortable after a couple hours
    • CommentAuthordeermatt

I would say any track bike would be uncomfortable after riding "a couple hours "
    Posted By: the rabbiPursuit frames weren't super aggressive to begin with, unless by agressive you just mean super low and tucked out of the wind. Since the frames were predominately used with tt/aero bars, the ht angle was actually slacker to accomodate the aero riding position. Modern tt/pursuit bikes havesteep st angles with slacker ht angles for the same reason. And if you've ever rode behind someone in the aero bars... you know why.

Smaller wheels cut into turns much faster. The head tube angle is more slack on pursuit frames to compensate for this and make the handling controllable.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

The uci banned the use of different sized wheels a long time ago, and modern purusuit frames still have a slacker ht angle.
    I didn't think anyone made the distinction for modern bikes since no one makes a frame specifically for the discipline of pursuit racing anymore (that I am aware of).
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark

Huh, I guess I should pay more attention to what's going on in this here 21st century.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.