velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorEnoevol
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2010

Hey all... New to the forum. Used to be seriously in to mtn biking in my early 20s.. Single track and racing...Fast fwd almost 10ys and i found myself picking up a Windsor Hour to get to and from work. Instantly reconnected with a hobby i once loved i soon realized the equipment i was riding was sub par. In the 8 months I've made some mods to the Windsor but now realize its time to step it . I may want to begin racing again but foremost i want to build a great ride that goes beyond my to and fro commute to work. A bike i don't want to lock up or put thru the rigors of daily use in NYC. The bike i ride when i come home from work.. The one i ride on a Saturday. I've decided on aluminum and have a few contenders and wanted some opinions.
    Dolan Pre Cursa
    Bianchi Superpisa
    Felt TK2 or 3
    Look AL 464 P
    Cinelli Vigorelli or Mash

I know these are a wide range as far as price is concerned and ideally I'd like to keep the build between 1300 - 1500. I'd like to know your opinions as to something that I'd feel great about riding and not feel the need to get another Bike in a year. All comments suggestions are welcome. Thanks for your help all.
    Best.
    M
    Dolan Pre Cursa - Nothing special really. The Track Champion is nice, slightly more refined and finished.

Bianchi SuperPista - I feel Binachi made some serious mistakes with this frameset, changing the old Concept. I find it terribly ugly too.

Felt TK2 is a great frame. Many people ride them up here in NH on the track, and I've seem some at Kissena track too.

Look AL 464 - A killer frameset, but maybe more than your looking for? I have yet to see one on the streets or track, but almost purchased one myself before getting my Cervelo T1. Out of the list you provided, this would be my first choice.

Cinelli Vigorelli and Mash - The new Vigorelli is ugly. The Mash is overpriced for what you get and everyone and their brother has one (even myself) Haha. The Mash is also not good on the track, from personal experience.

My first suggestion, beyond what you listed, would be a Dodici Special or Gara. Look them up. Cheaper then most of the frames you listed there. Handbuilt, Italian frame. Custom paint job. Very unique and something that you won't see on the streets or track, even around NYC.
    http://www.dodicicicli.com/collections/frontpage/products/dodici-special-frame

• CommentAuthorthe rabbi

Posted By: terrible_one49Bianchi SuperPista - I feel Binachi made some serious mistakes with this frameset, changing the old Concept. I find it terribly ugly too.
    beyond being really, really ugly, bianchi never changed anything besides the seatpost clamp from the concept. geometry has always been the same.
    Posted By: the rabbi
    Posted By: terrible_one49Bianchi SuperPista - I feel Binachi made some serious mistakes with this frameset, changing the old Concept. I find it terribly ugly too.
    beyond being really, really ugly, bianchi never changed anything besides the seatpost clamp from the concept. geometry has always been the same.

I don't think this is true. They also beefed up the chainstays as well as terrible decals. Also, aero seat-tube, more space for running larger width tires and drilled fork and seatstay for brake. They have totally taken it AWAY from being a track bike, to a street bike. Also, I've ridden two different Concepts, and the Super Pista's I've seen, the geometry looks different. More like compact road geometry with the backwards sloping top tube. Take a look…
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

that thing is tiny. any 49cm frame is going to have that unless they have a 2" headtube. i used to own a concept, too and i also got one of these superpistas as my crash replacement. the tt was level on my 55cm.
    Yeah, you're right. It's just the smaller size which probably accounts for that.

Regardless, all the changes were made to make it a more hipster street bike and no longer a true track frame. I'm surprised they did not make it barspinable.
    that dodici frame is real nice, do u know if price includes fork?
    • CommentAuthorBIKE NYC
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2010 edited

Terrible, You've really got me looking at that Dodici now. I checked out the site but couldn't find the frame specs for the Special.
    • CommentAuthorSloth

Jesus, that Dodici is awesome.
    Yeah, all the Dodici frames come with forks. You might have to email them for the specs.

Just so people in the US know, 520 euros is about 635 bucks.

Here is a nice, clean Gara.
    https://velospace.org/node/28310
    The Gara is mad cheap for what it is. I may get one next year when I get my bonus!
    I like the simple look.
    Yeah, their frames seem priced very reasonable. The Gara is about 525 bucks, and I think is surely comparable to a Vigorelli or Dolan, for sure.

Note that, all the pictures on their site had external headsets, but the few here on Velospace all have internal headsets. Personally, I like the look of internal headsets and never had problems with them, so I think it's a good thing they changed over. It looked like on some of the pictures on their site, that the forks they were using where made for internal cups anyway.
    429€ over here, same as the pre cursa. And I think they still were 400€ a few weeks ago.
    With the carbon fork painted in the same color it resembles a steel frame..
    I was wondering if anyone over here has some infos on their geometry. I wasn't feeling like bothering the company with that when I won't be able to buy the bike in the next few months.
    so i am really considering this bad boy now and was wondering about sizing. I ride a 50 Kilo I think its C2C, what size would i be going for on a persuit frame?
    "1,1/8 unthreaded fork, 68mm english threaded bottom brackets and 31.6 seat post ." does this mean that all this is included?!
    • CommentAuthorEnoevol
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2010

The Gara is a beautiful bike - Thanks for the reco. Only problem is fork is not drilled for brakes. Living in the city and riding in the streets I personally will always opt for a front break - not only for emergency use, but simple math... break pads are cheaper then tires. Anyways - my understanding is that you can not retrofit for front break. Is this the case???.. otherwise I think this bike is a stunner . Love how its almost looks like a steel frame.
    Look at the fork on the new Gara. You can see the brake hole in the back. It IS actually drilled for a brake, but just filled in the front. It's the same thing that Cinelli does with their forks, so you can use a brake if you want.
    https://velospace.org/node/28310

Their bikes do NOT come with seatpost, and bottom bracket. They just say that so you know what sizes you will need for stem, BB and seatpost.
    Posted By: Theyokeman317so i am really considering this bad boy now and was wondering about sizing. I ride a 50 Kilo I think its C2C, what size would i be going for on a persuit frame?
    "1,1/8 unthreaded fork, 68mm english threaded bottom brackets and 31.6 seat post ." does this mean that all this is included?!

My guess is a 49cm, since you really don't have that much seatpost showing on your Kilo, and with the Dodici, it has a longer seat-tube (which creates the forward sloping top tube), so if you're on a 51cm, you might find yourself having to run the seat flush with the frame nearly…and that would not look good.
    • CommentAuthorEnoevol

nice - looks like could be a contender. Do you think the Dodici special is worth the extra money??
    It looks a bit cooler, which in bikes, you sometimes pay more for cool looks. Otherwise, the Special might have a tighter rear end, because the bent seat tube. Also, maybe abit stiffer because of larger downtube.
    • CommentAuthorncecchi

i'm just going to throw this out there- you keep saying things "almost look like steel" but you are set on aluminium. why not just get a nice steel frame?

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.