velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorhenrydec1
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2009

how do i make my rims like this, sanding?
    I would assume that they are chrome plated, and you can make your aluminum rims shiny, but not like that shiny.
    • CommentAuthorwowzah
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2009

they aren't chrome plated they are just polished
    you need to find the right industrial complex close by
    Cmon now..."sanding" is not going to give something a mirror-like finish.

It would be easier to just find rims like that, rather than try to do it yourself. I remember Alex Rims used to make some awhile back.
    No matter what, polished aluminum will never look that shiny. It always has a dull component to it.
    go to a hardware store like harbor freight or home depot and buy an aluerminum polishing kit. they cost like 15 bucks. then get a good dremel from a pawn shop for like another 20 bucks and bling bling. now get to work
    and you can get a mirror finish with this method
    • CommentAuthorgridplan
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2009 edited

Buy yourself a tube of Simichrome. You can get it on eBay, amazon.com, some hardware stores, etc. I use it on all my bikes. It's a general purpose metal polish that works really well (yes, on aluminum too). Just be sure to use gloves.
    • CommentAuthorwowzah
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2009

i think you'll get better results if you take it to an industrial complex, you know the neighborhood with the warehouses and where all the seedy people hang out
    i don't think it will cost much more than doing it yourself
    they can buff it to a mirror shine
    • CommentAuthorewurl
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2009

harbor freight polishing kit works well, just have to be patient. Or for the seriously lazy: Chrome FX

http://www.alsacorp.com/products/chromefx/chromefx_prodinfo.htm
    • CommentAuthoratrain62
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2009

are those deep v's in that link you posted? fresh.
    • CommentAuthorhenrydec1
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2009

yep,

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.