velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthordanzap209
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2010

I'd like some input about pedals... What's the best value for my buck?
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

Clipless.
    • CommentAuthordanzap209

I just hate to carry some shoes with me...
    MKS Slyvan's.
    • CommentAuthorparkman14

If you get MTB style shoes, you can walk in them.
    Bensonisajew found a guide that lets you put the cleats for riding clipless into your everyday shoes as well..
    • CommentAuthorRasmus

Clipless is the way to go. However I use Exustar PT12 to get around town.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

Whatever anyone says, putting cleats into/on your normal sneakers is the most ridiculous idea, ever.
    • CommentAuthorlatron
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2010 edited

Something that hasn't been made in a good twenty years, if not thirty: SR SP-150 road pedals.

SR made a million of them, and they turn up in near-NOS condition surprisingly often. I've never paid more than single digits for a pair -- anywhere from $1 to $8 (for the ones above). They're like the Sylvans, but at a way, way lower price point. Added advantage: You can file down the outermost point on the cage so that the pedal top is absolutely flat -- great for riding in soft shoes. (With Sylvans the opening to get at the bearings goes too far up; if you filed the cages flat you'd cut through them.)
    • CommentAuthordanzap209

What do you guys think of the MKS GR-9?
    GR-9 is my personal favorite. I like them much better than the sylvans. Try them out on your friends' bikes.
    • CommentAuthormeatroll

Posted By: danzap209What do you guys think of the MKS GR-9?

http://tinyurl.com/29ytbk4
    Posted By: the rabbiWhatever anyone says, putting cleats into/on your normal sneakers is the most ridiculous idea, ever.

+1

Posted By: terrible_one49MKS Slyvan's.

+1

i ride them and they are great
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

I like gr-9s more than sylvans because when I'm riding non-clipless I probably have vans on.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2010

I like MKS Streams. They are slightly wider than Sylvans and they are double sided.
    • CommentAuthordanzap209
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2010

I bought some GR-9's... I think I will like them
    • CommentAuthoreBAUMANN
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2010 edited

Posted By: SkidMarkI like MKS Streams. They are slightly wider than Sylvans and they are double sided..
    ...with no little tab to flip the pedal and get your foot into the cages.

sylvans are great but can dig into the soles of your shoe over time, especially if you have larger feet (I wear a size 13). I would be riding gr-9's if my feet were small enough, great pedals.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2010 edited

Velo Orange sells a tab, but I don't see the need. Sometimes when I am on the platform side and I shift my foot the pedal will try to flip over to the toeclip side. I like them way better than the MKS Sylvans I had before.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.